RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

snakedevil

Apr 23, 2007, 7:54 PM
Post #1 of 25 (806 views)
Shortcut

new river in early july?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

would the conditions in new river gorge be suitable for climbing in july? What would the temps be like? bugs?

fulton

Apr 23, 2007, 8:50 PM
Post #2 of 25 (780 views)
Shortcut

Re: [snakedevil] new river in early july? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oh its a great time to climb in the gorge, but bring a warm jacket, 800 fill at least, it sure does get chilly in South in July...

how fucking stupid are you?

Its the South in the Summer, its warm, humid, and there are thunderstorms. Bugs, yes - like everywhere else in during the Summer time in America - there are bugs - you dip shit.

Partner j_ung

Apr 23, 2007, 8:50 PM
Post #3 of 25 (778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a pretty borderline time. Last year it didn't get unbearably hot until the middle of July. Early July was fantastic. But I seem to remember it getting pretty hot and sticky well before that the year earlier.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Apr 23, 2007, 8:53 PM)

Partner j_ung

Apr 23, 2007, 8:52 PM
Post #4 of 25 (774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] new river in early july? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
oh its a great time to climb in the gorge, but bring a warm jacket, 800 fill at least, it sure does get chilly in South in July...

how fucking stupid are you?

Its the South in the Summer, its warm, humid, and there are thunderstorms. Bugs, yes - like everywhere else in during the Summer time in America - there are bugs - you dip shit.

Real nice. And incorrect.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Apr 23, 2007, 8:52 PM)

fulton

Apr 23, 2007, 8:58 PM
Post #5 of 25 (765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] new river in early july? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:

Which part am I incorrect about?
The part about how he's a dip shit
or the part about how he's fucking stupid?

hey, I'm planning a trip to Rumney for the end of November, tell me what the temps are like - oh wait, I thought about it for a second and realized that its...going to be cold.

Partner j_ung

Apr 23, 2007, 9:10 PM
Post #6 of 25 (753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
j_ung wrote:

Which part am I incorrect about?
The part about how he's a dip shit
or the part about how he's fucking stupid?

hey, I'm planning a trip to Rumney for the end of November, tell me what the temps are like - oh wait, I thought about it for a second and realized that its...going to be cold.

You said conditions everywhere across the SE are hot, humid and buggy in the summer. You were wrong. It's pretty simple. I live here. Don't tell me what conditions are like, when you clearly haven't a clue.

You're an asshole and you're wrong. Care to try for three? Gumby is still available.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Apr 23, 2007, 9:11 PM)

fulton

Apr 23, 2007, 9:19 PM
Post #7 of 25 (746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, here's 3.
I think I made my first trip to the New River Gorge when I was 14, and I grew up climbing in the South more generally (Seneca specifically, so I don't think that I'm wrong.
I think that the south is warm in the summer,
and I think that its buggy
and I think that its humid
and I think that there are thunderstorms.

And I didn't tell you shit, I told the other guy, who asked a stupid question.
but hey other guy, don't listen to me, listen to Jay, because he lives there. I mean, I used to, but since global warming things must have changed alot, apparently its not hot, buggy and humid in the south anymore.

Partner j_ung

Apr 23, 2007, 9:34 PM
Post #8 of 25 (727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last early July I was still packing layers for cold mornings. It'll certainly be pleasant here well into June, if not all the way through it, which, I'm guessing, includes part of summer. There are very few bugs at the New compared to some other areas, and they're certainly not overwhelming, like, say, North Conway's black flies. So like I said to poor guy you attacked for zero reason, early July is borderline. He might very well find pleasant conditions.

But, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Maybe you're not wrong. Maybe conditions you had in your time here are different from what I've experienced. That still leaves asshole. The guy asked a simple, IMO legitimate question, and you went all piranha on him. You didn't ignore it, or say something mid-road, like, "I'm guessing hot and humid." You just let 'er rip. Seriously, if you're not an asshole, then what's your problem? Because you certainly appear to be an asshole to me.

fulton

Apr 23, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #9 of 25 (713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Other guy, I am sorry I called you a dip shit and a moron, i mean fucking stupid.
Jay, I am sorry that I am an asshole.
I don't know why I'm an asshole, but I am touched that you are concerned. I'm emotionally unbalanced, neurotic, self conscious, both passionate and dispassionate, you know.. I'm just a lost and wayward soul acting out so that someone might realize the pain that I can't bring myself to speak.
Sorry for letting my tarnished soul dim the luster of our willingness, with you-jay-as our represenitive, to be a constructive influence on our community.
My Shame is profound.

Partner j_ung

Apr 23, 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #10 of 25 (710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snakedevil wrote:
would the conditions in new river gorge be suitable for climbing in july? What would the temps be like? bugs?

I think you should come on out. There's a chance the weather will be fine, and even if it's hot, you have options. I climbed all through last summer, including the dog days, and had several of my hardest sends of 2006. Chase the shade a bit or, better yet, bring a few friends to share cost, rent a pontoon boat and hit up Summersville Lake. July-August is prime deep water solo season. Can't afford a boat? No problem, Summersville proper has swimming within feet of climbing, and at Whipperwill you can swim to climbing. Give a shout when you're in town. Maybe I can hook you up with a tour or at least share a beer or two.

chalker7

Apr 23, 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #11 of 25 (702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now come on Jay he's not an asshole. You know as well as I do that asshole and fucktard are not the same. Close, but still not the same.

snakedevil

Apr 23, 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #12 of 25 (690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
snakedevil wrote:

I think you should come on out. There's a chance the weather will be fine, and even if it's hot, you have options. I climbed all through last summer, including the dog days, and had several of my hardest sends of 2006. Chase the shade a bit or, better yet, bring a few friends to share cost, rent a pontoon boat and hit up Summersville Lake. July-August is prime deep water solo season. Can't afford a boat? No problem, Summersville proper has swimming within feet of climbing, and at Whipperwill you can swim to climbing. Give a shout when you're in town. Maybe I can hook you up with a tour or at least share a beer or two.

Cool, thanks for the info j_ung. If I get down there, I'll see if i can get in touch with you

cmstone

Apr 23, 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #13 of 25 (674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay,

It's not the bugs and humidity in the summer, it's the folks who think they know it all polluting the crags! And they usually have their dogs in tow.

On another note, Aimee and I are kicking around the idea of doing a full time relo to the house. Go back to DC a couple of days a month to work. I believe you described it as "sublime".

Chris

Partner j_ung

Apr 24, 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #14 of 25 (668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cmstone] new river in early july? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice, Chris! You won't be sorry. (Just make sure you private school the kids. Laugh)

noell

Apr 24, 2007, 12:03 AM
Post #15 of 25 (666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ditto everything that Jay said. It can be hit or miss. I just got snowed on for the second weekend in a row in the month of April and I live/climb in TN! So you just never know - today we were back up in the 80s.

I think the NRG is one of the most pleasant places to climb in the summer, even if it is hot and humid. You can find the shade, and you can swim. What else could you want?!? Cool

Also, as far as bugs go, I really don't think the NRG is as bad as we have it here in TN. Of course, in the summer there will be bugs, nature of the beast, but it's not unbearable. I would want to sleep in a tent or vehicle though, because no-see-ums can be a pain at night!

Have a blast if you go!!

limeydave

Apr 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #16 of 25 (658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all relative.
We climbed at the New all summer last year. Sure it was a little warm, with a chance of showers and bugs, but NC was just the same, so we figured better to be where we wanted to be...besides, it's funny how a cold beer can change your outlook on a sticky southern summers day.

microbarn

Apr 24, 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #17 of 25 (645 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly recommend checking out http://www.wunderground.com. They are awesome for weather predictions.

Check out their trip planner link in the upper right to see this link:
http://www.wunderground.com/...tename=West+Virginia

They show the average expectations of temperature and precipitation, and it also shows the daily weather for the past couple of years.

Partner j_ung

Apr 24, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #18 of 25 (635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] new river in early july? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good find. Thanks, Dan.

phang_nga

Apr 24, 2007, 1:05 AM
Post #19 of 25 (633 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climbed in the gorge last July and wasn't hot, nor bothered by bugs... or rednecks. Tongue

It's easy to find a route that's in the shade.

I'll be there again this July, but I don't know the dates... probably more towards the middle of the month.

crankingclimber

Apr 24, 2007, 3:09 AM
Post #20 of 25 (611 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton is an ass - don't listen to him.

The new is doable in July. As usual you have to watch for rain, and it will almost definitely be hot, but I lived at the New all last summer (an am moving back in a couple of weeks) and climbed the whole time. As for bugs, they weren't bad last year - there were of course some, but not tons. I'm not sure when the last freeze was last year, but I know a couple of weeks ago it dropped from gorgeous temps to freezing friking cold down there - that usually helps kill off bugs, so my guess is that this year they won't be bad at all.

Will

lena_chita

Apr 24, 2007, 1:45 PM
Post #21 of 25 (583 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

snakedevil wrote:

Last year we were at the new for the 4th of july weekend-- and then again 2 weeks later, and hten again 2 weeks after that... I believe one of those weekends was really hot, in the 90s -- I think the one in mid-July. But I also vaguely remember a long-sleeved T-shirt that felt comfy at night on one of those weekends... But hot or cool, it was still definitely "suitable for climbing". Of course past performance in no guarantee of future results-- you may get a super-hot weekend in early July, or you may get a pleasant one...

Bugs are a non-issue. Yes, bugs are there-- so? Use a repellent.
Just go for it!

fishbelly

Apr 24, 2007, 4:48 PM
Post #22 of 25 (564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] new river in early july? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You just have to go. You can climb nearly year round.
at the new. " I said nearly" If you can not dweal with the weather stay in the gym. If you like roofs you can climb in the rain.

jh_angel

Apr 24, 2007, 4:58 PM
Post #23 of 25 (558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fulton wrote:

I was climbing shirtless and getting a tan all November up at Rumney. Thanks to global warming it doesn't get bad 'till January these days, unless you consider 60 and sunny cold weather.

deadhorse

Apr 26, 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #24 of 25 (526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jh_angel] new river in early july? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry but when did WV become the south? I mean yeah, I guess it's south of the mason dixon, but they never seceded- nobody calls southern MD or DE 'the south'
A stupid sensitivity sure, but being from outside d.c. and always having that called the south from people from the faraways always chapped my ass.
Oh yea, and fulton is an asshole. One has plenty of reasons to question NRG's weather, at anytime. Jay can verify they get some weird stuff sometimes. I only live a few hours away and there was like a 30 degree temp difference.
Seeyou folks there

fulton

Apr 26, 2007, 1:13 AM
Post #25 of 25 (520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crankingclimber] new river in early july? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crankingclimber wrote:
fulton is an ass - don't listen to him. Will

Why are you still at home playing on your computer?

Don't you have a slackline to set up?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook