RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

cammaniac

Apr 23, 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2467 views)
Shortcut

Is Australia really all that??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I want to pick the brains of those that live in or have traveled down under. I have a great opportunity to move to Melbourne and actually have a real job, I'm one of those engineer types. I have yet to travel there, although my wife and I are getting a trip for the final interview. We're looking at being there for at least 3 to 5 years, maybe longer if all goes well.

Some of my questions are:
How's the climbing around Melbourne? I see that the Grampians are about 150 or so miles. What else? How's the mountain biking?

What's the cost of living compared to the states, I live in Atlanta now? Will I be able to buy a house, have a decent living like I have here or is it really expensive.

What's Melbourne like? It looks to be about the size of Atlanta in population, but what about traffic and smog and anything else you can think of.

Is it really that damn hot and dry?? Is the economy doing good or not?

Any info is great. Thanks for the help.

deepplaymedia

Apr 30, 2007, 9:51 AM
Post #2 of 4 (2436 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cammaniac] Is Australia really all that?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is Australia really all that??

Yes. One might say that it is the beez kneez. It fucking rocks.

post this on www.chockstone.org and you'll get some good info

darkstar

May 2, 2007, 1:43 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2409 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We should talkmin in chattanooga spent several months in melborne.
jerryclimber@hotmail.com

turtle54

May 8, 2007, 1:18 AM
Post #4 of 4 (2335 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, my friend, Australia is all that. Especially Melbourne, I might say. I spent probably the best 3 months of my life there. Where to start..

Melbourne has about 3 to 4 million people (I think), but definitely doesn't look like all that. It has that small town atmosphere, where everyone says "hello, how are you?" and "thanks a lot" or just "ta". Anyone that has stayed in Melbourne for more than 1 month will tell you that it's the best city in the world. Whatever music you like, whatever food you want, whatever you're looking for, you are gonna find in Melb. Arts, culture, movies, bookstores, music concerts, pubs, excellent food, the best parties, anything. And the people...That's the best from the city. You ask for directions and they offer you a ride. You sit alone for a coffee and end up with a list of people wanting to show you the city around.

Public transport is great: trains, trams and buses, very affordable. Lots of parks, very hot in summer, very wet in winter. St Kilda beach isn't exactly great, but enough for a late afternoon summer swim, but Sorrento beach or Phillip Island (1h drive) are awesome places.

If you want to check out some photos from Melb, check out my website: www.los3mfuckers.multiply.com/

Moneywise, Australia is generally pretty good for wages/cost of living ratio. I'm graduating as MD next year and want to live in Aussie after. I was working as a waiter there and used to get 15 AU$/hour. Imagine yourself.

The down side is in climbing. At least I didn't climb as much as I wanted. Plenty of gyms, but the Grampians and Arapiles are a little out of the way you u dont own a car or have free weekends. There are some crags around, but I didnt go to any of them. You need a melbournian for more info on that. I can tell you that Sydney has a lot of climbing and some of the best beaches you'll ever see. But anyway I prefer Melbourne, for sure!!

If you'd like more info, email me mgoldraich@gmail.com

Glad to help ya, mate!!
m.
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook