RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

hrtmnstrfr

May 17, 2007, 1:40 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3770 views)
Shortcut

Rocktown Bouldering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,
I am constantly trying to improve so any feed back o the following image will be useful.
Thanks,

My wife at Rocktown, Ga on Double Trouble, V4/5

Partner philbox

May 17, 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3762 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hrtmnstrfr] Rocktown Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really do like this boulder and the way it balances there as though some giant has been playing with his toy building blocks. Hard to take a bad picture of such a unique piece of nature.

Now, things I would suggest to help improve the shot. A little more face on the talent, in other words let's see some more of her face. I also suggest that she wears other colours i/e something not white on the shirt let's say either a bright blue or lime green. The pants could also see some improvement in their colour, let's put on anything but yellow or white, not black either. Ya gotta go with photo aproved colours to really bring out the pop in the image.

If you really wanted to make it a ten then a figure hugging tank top would be the go. Of course being that it is your wife you may not want to display her to all the teenagers who would then simply put the image in their spank bank. Ya gotta think about these things fairly dispassionately. Want to on a front page of Climbing mag then definitely go with the brightly coloured tank top. Want it to got to number one on rc.com then go with the brightly coloured tank top. Want all the teenagers to drop lurid comments in the messages attached to the pic on rc.com then go with the brightly coloured tank top.

Maybe gain a little elevation and shoot down more so that the climbers features are highlighted. Everyone loves to view emotion on a climbers face. Maybe widen out the lense and head in a little closer. Lots of things you could do to capture the uniqueness of the location and to highlight the talent. That said I still think it is not a bad pic but you did ask for suggestions.

hrtmnstrfr

May 17, 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Rocktown Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Philbox, Thanks for the wonderful advise.

Partner philbox

May 17, 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3755 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hrtmnstrfr wrote:
Philbox, Thanks for the wonderful advise.

That is the purpose of the forum. Thanks for the feedback too by the way. So go and take another pic of this location using the qabove suggestions and report back here. I reckon you can do some awesome work given the talent at your disposal and the unique location. Yes, it takes a lot of work to get great shots and several visits may be needed to hone the shot. Try different things and you will be surprised just what may pop out of your camera.

blondgecko

May 20, 2007, 2:15 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, nice location! I really like the way you've framed the boulder here, and it looks like you've picked the perfect time of day. Just get the clothes and face right, as Phil said - looking towards (or even better, reaching towards) her next move, rather than back at her feet, maybe?

The only other thing I might suggest, if you really want to go all out, is the use of a graduated neutral density filter to take some of the glare out of the sky. Getting some colour and texture up there, along with the lovely dappled lighting around the talent, would turn this into something truly special.

Paul_Y

May 20, 2007, 2:16 AM
Post #6 of 11 (3734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, I've noticed that you've used external flash very effectively in the past so I'm kind of surprised you haven't used it here. That would really make her pop out from the background. Nice work!

lhwang

May 20, 2007, 2:29 AM
Post #7 of 11 (3731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What a cool looking boulder! I love the quality of light in this shot. My only criticism is that the subject is pretty much centred... not so interesting, in my opinion. It'd be nice to see her face, as already pointed out, and it'd be even better if it was a bit more dynamic.

hrtmnstrfr

May 21, 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3690 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] Rocktown Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions!

hrtmnstrfr

May 21, 2007, 7:13 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_Y] Rocktown Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish I had brought my flash kit but this was an impromptu stop along the interstate while traveling, so I didn't have it with me. :(

sonyhome

May 31, 2007, 8:10 AM
Post #10 of 11 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Rocktown Bouldering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Great boulder. Lots of potential indeed.

I agree with the blown out sky, it does disturb a little the final result.

However, would a ND graduate filter really help here? This is not a clear-cut sunset or horizon photo. I'm asking, not criticizing, because that's always been on my mind when looking at those ND kits that cost a lot and are clunky to use.

Another approach would be to bracket shoot and combine the top of the dark photo to recapture the sky. Or just search and replace the sky color, make a mask and drop in another sky, to fake it...

stymingersfink

Jun 4, 2007, 1:23 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3577 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox wrote:
being that it is your wife you may not want to display her to all the teenagers who would then simply put the image in their spank bank.

what...like there's any greater compliment? LaughCool

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook