Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
where is this place?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

eimennin

May 28, 2007, 3:44 AM
Post #1 of 6 (4093 views)
Shortcut

where is this place?  (North_America: United_States: New_York: Upstate: Poison_Ivy_Wall)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i live in stone ridge and boulder at the gunks, but i would love to know where there is sport climbing?

olderic

May 30, 2007, 2:08 PM
Post #2 of 6 (4025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eimennin] where is this place? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

West Point

catskillshiker

Sep 7, 2007, 2:53 AM
Post #3 of 6 (3713 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] where is this place? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can anybody climb here, or is access limited. I can't find any info on the web for here. If somebody can help, please email me.
Thanks

olderic

Sep 7, 2007, 1:39 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [catskillshiker] where is this place? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

catskillshiker wrote:
Can anybody climb here, or is access limited. I can't find any info on the web for here. If somebody can help, please email me.
Thanks

Search for "Poison Ivy wall West Point". It's on the campus - right along the tracks down by the river. Officially you are supposed to go through the main gate, sign in and get permission. But in reality everyone parks at the McDonalds and walks in along the tracks. Security is so tight at our showplace acadamy you see...

shockabuku

Sep 7, 2007, 2:33 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3623 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olderic] where is this place? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Park at the McDonald's or (if allowed) at the bottom of the hill from McDonald's at the dock area. Walk up-river about 1/2 to 3/4 mile (probably). PI wall actually is on a right of way belonging to the railway. If you hit it at the right time during the week you can probably find someone to get you a copy of the guidebook. Check: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ate/Poison_Ivy_Wall/ for some route info. There's about another 40 routes beyond this, most in the 5.7-5.9 range.

shockabuku

Sep 7, 2007, 3:20 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [eimennin] where is this place? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's also a couple of sport lines (~5.10-5.11? slab) just north of the academy on Rte 218. If I remember correctly you drive up the road to the first pullout after the (permanently closed) West Point gate, and walk up the hill to the cliff. I think it's called Crow's Nest. There's at least two bolted routes there, or were a few years ago.

Additionally, if you go north on the river from the end of the road that runs by the water treatment plant on West Point (you'd have to sign in to get there this way) about a mile, maybe mile and a half, there's a small wall with about a half dozen short, 5.10-5.12, routes. You can get there from walking down from 218, but I can't give you a landmark to hit it. Be careful of loose rock. One spring a boulder about the size of a large moving box with a bolt on it fell off the wall and busted up on the tracks.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Sep 7, 2007, 3:21 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook