Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

madrock

May 25, 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #1 of 22 (5205 views)
Shortcut

Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lots of great photos on the site and floating around with our fellow climbers. Why are there only a small group of photographers who get featured in the Magazines. Are not enough people submiting them for consideration?

Joe

majid_sabet

May 25, 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #2 of 22 (5185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrock] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IMO, most climbing magazines and editors do not deserve to get those photos. Editors who sit behind the desk in some office building do not understand what most people went thru to capture those images.

anykineclimb

Post #3 of 22 (5185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madrock] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

why not use their photos for your ads Joe?

desertdude420

Post #4 of 22 (5185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing photography is one of the most technical forms of outdoor sport photography. If you aren't a master climber and rope rigger, all you're going to get is the typical ass shot from below. Plus it's a pretty small pool of participants compared to say backpacking or mountain biking. If you do get that cover shot, there's only a few mags/outlets to sell to. And they don't pay much.

desertdude420

May 25, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #5 of 22 (5156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
IMO, most climbing magazines and editors do not deserve to get those photos. Editors who sit behind the desk in some office building do not understand what most people went thru to capture those images.

You mean photo editors don't deserve their jobs? How can one edit photos if they are out climbing? You make no sense man.

ja1484

May 25, 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #6 of 22 (5150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertdude420] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertdude420 wrote:
Climbing photography is one of the most technical forms of outdoor sport photography. If you aren't a master climber and rope rigger, all you're going to get is the typical ass shot from below. Plus it's a pretty small pool of participants compared to say backpacking or mountain biking. If you do get that cover shot, there's only a few mags/outlets to sell to. And they don't pay much.

This reply makes the "ding ding ding" sound. Climbing photography is a hassle. Lots of rigging, ascending, descending, etc involved. I imagine for a lot of photogs, it's not worth the trouble.

majid_sabet

May 26, 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #7 of 22 (5124 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertdude420] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertdude420 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

You mean photo editors don't deserve their jobs? How can one edit photos if they are out climbing? You make no sense man.

You know
If all magazine editors were climbers and knew about climbing, we would had much better climbing magazines out there but now all you see is nothing but a worthless magazine with 69 pages of ads and 1 decent photo .

anykineclimb

May 26, 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #8 of 22 (5098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
desertdude420 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

You know
If all magazine editors were climbers and knew about climbing, we would had much better climbing magazines out there but now all you see is nothing but a worthless magazine with 69 pages of ads and 1 decent photo .

Hmmm....

(grabbing copy of Rock and Ice...)

Editor in Chief- Duane Raleigh

Editor- Jeff Jackson

Executive Editor- Alison Osius

Sr. Contributing Editors- Barry Blanchard, Geof Childs, Kelly Cordes, John Long, Lizzy Scully, Tyler Stableford, Pete Takeda, Jon Waterman

Contributing Editors- Chris Belczynski, Tommy Caldwell, Niall Grimes, Sonie Trotter

Wow Majid YOU'RE SOOOO RIGHT!!!
These people know NOTHING about climbing!!!

pico23

May 26, 2007, 2:17 AM
Post #9 of 22 (5071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
desertdude420 wrote:

This reply makes the "ding ding ding" sound. Climbing photography is a hassle. Lots of rigging, ascending, descending, etc involved. I imagine for a lot of photogs, it's not worth the trouble.

This has always been an issue for me. Even at my peak I only had 100 days on rock or ice a year but when work cuts in, as well as mid summer heat, rain ect. you might only get 40-50 days a year.

Tough to give up those days to rig from above. Whereas backpacking, paddling, and biking are more participatory.

I can cover the same/similar ground in a day of backpacking/paddling/biking while coming home with many nice shots vs. climbing where i am merely a photographer and not a climber.

Quite a few years ago I was interviewing for a photog/outdoors columnist job at my university paper. I told the editor I really didn't consider myself a photographer as much as a participant in the activities which I took photos.

To a large extent that is still true, and climbing doesn't generally allow that to be the case.

joe

May 27, 2007, 3:48 PM
Post #10 of 22 (4989 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my theory in an analogy:

Pretend that you're a Dade County coke dealer who needs x kilos per month to keep up with demand. You have a well-established relationship with Supplier A down in Medellin who can deliver 10 kilos of pure coke on a consistent basis without hassle.

Then you have Supplier B, who can maybe get you 1 kilo once, maybe twice per year. Most of the time the coke is already stomped-on, low quality baby powder but every once in a while he'll get you a good one.

Which guy are you going to deal with on a regular basis?

majid_sabet

May 27, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #11 of 22 (4956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

anyineclimb

You are right, I am wrong for not paying $6 for those worthless magazine but I am sure that I am not the only one .

macblaze

May 27, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #12 of 22 (4952 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joe] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

joe wrote:
Here's my theory in an analogy:

Pretend that you're a Dade County coke dealer who needs x kilos per month to keep up with demand. You have a well-established relationship with Supplier A down in Medellin who can deliver 10 kilos of pure coke on a consistent basis without hassle.

Then you have Supplier B, who can maybe get you 1 kilo once, maybe twice per year. Most of the time the coke is already stomped-on, low quality baby powder but every once in a while he'll get you a good one.

Which guy are you going to deal with on a regular basis?

????????

(not arguing but... somehow the connection between coke and publishing climbing mags escapes me...)

deepplaymedia

May 28, 2007, 8:29 AM
Post #13 of 22 (4880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macblaze] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there are a lot of great photos out there, that doesnt mean the PE's have seen them! if you have a good shot, submit it. how else will it get published?
if it is in fact a fantastic shot, it has a good chance of getting published no matter who took it.

(This post was edited by deepplaymedia on May 28, 2007, 11:04 AM)

thomasribiere

May 28, 2007, 9:02 AM
Post #14 of 22 (4870 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To answer the original question, I think that taking good pics is not enough. Writing an article about a crag or a climber or an event would be a logical addition to a bunch of related good pics. Very often, the pics, beside being good, should include a famous climber to draw some attention.
But if the pics are excellent and deserve a cover or a poster.
These was just some random instant thoughts.

Partner j_ung

May 28, 2007, 1:17 PM
Post #15 of 22 (4833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madrock wrote:
Lots of great photos on the site and floating around with our fellow climbers. Why are there only a small group of photographers who get featured in the Magazines. Are not enough people submiting them for consideration?

Joe

That may be some of it. But I think it's more a function of the large number of photos submitted to mags and competing for limited page space. Now refer to Joe's metaphor above.

(Do you look for conspiracies pretty much everywhere or only in regards to climbing?)

deepplaymedia

May 28, 2007, 1:29 PM
Post #16 of 22 (4825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung; I can't speak for other mags, but my personal experience as a PE is that LOTS of people submit 'almost' shots while only a very small number of people send in 'money' shots- and it seems to be a small group who consistently produce the money shots...
it is true that a working relationship with an ed/PE makes it easier, but only if you are coming up with the goods.

guangzhou

May 28, 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #17 of 22 (4767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deepplaymedia] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I get my climbing shots published in various magazines on a regular basis. I will agree with one post above, if you write something and have pictures too, that is the best way to get published images.

I don't agree that you need a famous climber in the shot. I think the reason more people don't get published is that good and great photogrpahers often don't think their shots are good enough quality.

I have a few editors as contact and they are always looking for new photos and articles. Unfortunately, many of what they recieve is crap. If you have some great images, submit.

If you realy want to be published, think about other magazines that are not climbing related. My climbing shot have appeared in car magazine, travel publication, insurance publication, and variopus newspapers too. If you really want to publish you photos, buy a copy of Photographer's Market and create a plan plan.

My initial plan was to submit to three publication a week. I just had to find the righ hook for each. It was fun and made me think more about how to shoot photos from a deferent perspective.

(This post was edited by guangzhou on May 28, 2007, 10:17 PM)

tradmanclimbs

May 29, 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #18 of 22 (4725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I shoot horse shows for a liveing. last thing i want to do on my day off is lugg an SLR arround the cliff. I want to be the one in the pictures not the one takeing them when it comes to climbing......Another point and shoot butt shot is obviously not going to cut it. getting good climbing shots is going to be work. The guys and gals who have the drive to get in the mags are out there working hard and getting it done while the rest of us are playing on the rocks. Shooting famous climbers certainly does help though. You have shots of Dean poaching something or beth sending something you have news. Joe nobody on a 5.7 is going to have to be part of a write up on an area or a human intrest shot.

Partner camhead

May 29, 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #19 of 22 (4714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradmanclimbs] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

for the most part, very good photographers whose work I know from this site (joe, dbrayak, wes allen) eventually do wind up in magazines.

rc_vinay

May 29, 2007, 1:11 PM
Post #20 of 22 (4690 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

madrock wrote:

Joe

its simple. i guess they dont have to give money for who posts there precious photos on net.Wink

dingus

May 29, 2007, 2:02 PM
Post #21 of 22 (4663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rc_vinay] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To the person who said 'taking a good picture is not enough.'

I totally agree. Used to be GOOD climbing shots were so rare and so unique I'd just about drool over them.

Don't take this the wrong way photogs, but good climbing shots are a dime a dozen these days. Most of them pretty much look the same. Rare do you find something new under the sun.

If I ran a magazine I'd employ my friends and peers and those who helped me come up in that business. I wouldn't, for example, feign democracy or print amateur submissions instead of helping one of my contributors put beans on the table for that month.

Isn't that the way that business works? Its not like Times Warner or something.

DMT

madrock

May 29, 2007, 8:10 PM
Post #22 of 22 (4609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Why are so few Climbing photographers featured in the Mags.? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

OK I will "put my money where my mouth is". Mad Rock will publish 3 posters for distribution to our dealers with photos supplied by ?? Well anyone who wants so send one in for selection. We will pay $200 for the use, print 500 copies and give you 40 copies for yourself. Pro photographers can submit also. Photos with Mad Rock products are prefered but it is not required. Please submit a low res. but let me know the actual file size and resolution of the original, details on the climb and climber are also useful.

Send to joe@madrockclimbing.com

Joe

(This post was edited by madrock on May 29, 2007, 8:14 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook