Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Rock Mountain, don't bother, here's why...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

colball

May 31, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #1 of 2 (2609 views)
Shortcut

Rock Mountain, don't bother, here's why...  (North_America: United_States: California: San_Diego_County: Rock_Mountain)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The routes are limited. Many of them are 5.10 up. Most of the bolts are old school.
The real reason I wouldn't come again is the crime in the area. After climbing and hanging out for a few hours up there, we hiked back down to find our car was broken into. Two broken side windows, and a severed gas line. Not the best week I've ever had. I looked in the dirt parking area for any clues, all I found was someone elses broken auto glass. I wish I had seen that before. The sheriff said that break ins were not uncommon to the area, both at the Rock Mountain Trailhead as well as the Sandia Creek Trailhead. From another source we heard that the De Luz Canyon has been home to criminal activity since at least '69. That includes drug smuggling and one of Southern California's largest car theft rings. I suppose one good thing came of this, I have a new t-shirt idea.
De Luz Canyon
A place to hike, climb, and commit crime.

feetfirst

Jan 20, 2012, 5:41 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [colball] Rock Mountain, don't bother, here's why... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

can be a little sketchy parking all the way at the bottom, the car theft ring was shut down btw and i havent had an issue through my 20+ trips

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook