Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

robbovius

May 31, 2007, 2:28 PM
Post #26 of 38 (976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

WTF is up with people wearing out Mad Rock shoes in 2-3 months? mine have lasted years. I've got two pairs - Flash, and Phoenix lace-ups - that I got in 2003, and I still climb using both, and only this year have the Phoenix started sporting a tiny hole in the rubber off the tip of the my big toe on the right foot.

I climbed in the phoenix last weekend, and they still work fine. the rubber does seem to have lost some smearing grip since they were new, but I can't complain at all about how they've lasted, gripped, or fit. I think they're fricken great.

ckirkwood9

Jun 1, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #27 of 38 (917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
WTF is up with people wearing out Mad Rock shoes in 2-3 months?

toe-draggers in the gym

stymingersfink

Jun 1, 2007, 11:41 PM
Post #28 of 38 (883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ckirkwood9 wrote:
robbovius wrote:

toe-draggers in the gym
more like... some people climb more than twice a month, indoors or out!

what...

EVER!

i'd have to confess i'm with T-renn on this one... both with my opinion on MadCrap, and the opportunity to do routes with the ever-present Curt!

Oh, to be able to pull down on even 1/2 tha shit I'd bet he sends. Fuck!

Partner angry

Jun 1, 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #29 of 38 (880 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In the original post I stated that I'm an Evolve shoe wearer, that's just the way it is. MadRock shoes don't fit my feet or needs as well.

But all the shit you're talking about their shoes. I wonder what you're basing it on. I've seen every pair of La Sportiva shoes delaminate and peel their rand within a week of purchase. This wasn't always the case, their quality has tanked. How haven't you noticed this?

I've seen the stitching blow out on Boreals.

Five-Ten is about as innovative in design as general motors. Yawn.

I don't know about your durability issues people, I just know if you're going to play, you've got to pay. I've had shoes last me a year, and others last me a month. Not the shoes fault, it's the rock and the routes and the frequency of use.

So what are we argueing about?

stymingersfink

Jun 2, 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #30 of 38 (866 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

not arguing about anything, AFAIconcerned.

RE:5.10 shoes? sure, they may be as innovative as Chevy's, but then my last pair of anasazi's got at least 6 months of fairly regular use out of them before I wore through the sole.

'Course, I picked up a new pair to climb in while the first pair is being resoled, but only because I've seen that they don't really have any durability issues as I've seen with MadCrap. I suppose for some the difference in price makes up MadCrap's lack of durability... but I'm not one of them.

I just hope their 'biners last longer than their shoes. Well, not really, cause I couldn't care less (Read that to mean that I care not one iota,and to care less would be a logical impossibility).

Have fun with your MadCrap schwag, Angry. Climb safe.

Carry on.

yanqui

Jun 4, 2007, 5:23 PM
Post #31 of 38 (810 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:

I'll give you both some free (additional?) climbing lessons. Develop some decent technique, fer cryin' out loud. Cool

Curt

Ha. If you couldn't teach me good technique back when I was young and impressionable, there's no hope now that I'm a stubborn, hard-headed old fart who thinks he knows it all. Still, wouldn't mind showing you the boulders I've found here in Balcarce, if you ever get a chance to head south. Bring your Mad Rocks and I'll buy beer.

yanqui

Jun 4, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #32 of 38 (804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robbovius] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
WTF is up with people wearing out Mad Rock shoes in 2-3 months? mine have lasted years. I've got two pairs - Flash, and Phoenix lace-ups - that I got in 2003, and I still climb using both, and only this year have the Phoenix started sporting a tiny hole in the rubber off the tip of the my big toe on the right foot.

I climbed in the phoenix last weekend, and they still work fine. the rubber does seem to have lost some smearing grip since they were new, but I can't complain at all about how they've lasted, gripped, or fit. I think they're fricken great.

WTF is up with people whose rock shoes last 4 years? For me, that would be, like, 600 plus days on the rock. Robbovius, either you're so strong you're campusing everything you climb, or else you should get out more.

(This post was edited by yanqui on Jun 4, 2007, 5:36 PM)

yanqui

Jun 4, 2007, 5:41 PM
Post #33 of 38 (797 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ckirkwood9 wrote:
robbovius wrote:

toe-draggers in the gym

Dragging your toes to control body pendulum on hard roof problems is fucking truck.

duppyc

Jun 4, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #34 of 38 (771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I really liked the Flash shoes, but, the velcro wore out before the rand...what a pain in the arse. They'd stick at the base of a route, then whenever my foot flexed on a route...pop goes the velcro. I used athletic tape to just tape the things to my feet and then figured it ain't worth wasting the tape.

I found my end-all shoe with LS Katana.

desert_bat

Jun 4, 2007, 9:16 PM
Post #35 of 38 (730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duppyc] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

duppyc,
I actually had this problem with the first pair of Flashes I had back in '03. Really annoying Mad. I then boght the Katana's cause they had the velcro straps in opposing directions, and absolutly loved them.

But they are pretty pricey so I went back to the MadRock and was happy to find that the redesigned Flashes didn't seem to have the velcro problem anymore. I've really liked this shoe, even though the rubber doesn't stay as sticky and they can't quite compare to the Katana's.

Partner hosh

Jun 4, 2007, 9:50 PM
Post #36 of 38 (721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desert_bat] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desert_bat wrote:
duppyc,
I actually had this problem with the first pair of Flashes I had back in '03. Really annoying Mad. I then boght the Katana's cause they had the velcro straps in opposing directions, and absolutly loved them.

But they are pretty pricey so I went back to the MadRock and was happy to find that the redesigned Flashes didn't seem to have the velcro problem anymore. I've really liked this shoe, even though the rubber doesn't stay as sticky and they can't quite compare to the Katana's.

I am fluent in speaking street, so let me interpret this post for the masses...

"duppyc,
I actually had this problem with the first pair of Flashes I had back in '03. I didn't like it at all. I then purchased a better product, the Katana's, which are manufactured by a better company, which also happen to feature a more innovative design. I absolutely loved them.

But the price with the better shoes reflects the quality of the workmanship and R&D that went into developing a superior product, and I wasn't willing to support this justifiable price increase so I went back to the MadRock shoe and found that the redesigned Flashes didn't *seem* to have the velcro problem anymore, though the other problems, such as perfomance and durability were still present. I've really liked this shoe, even though it really wasn't as good as the La Sportiva model that I really liked. The rubber quality wasn't as high, and over all they can't quite compare to the Katana's."

I may have taken a few creative liberties in my translation, but thats a rather literal rendering of the original language.

hosh.

desert_bat

Jun 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #37 of 38 (696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hosh, you got most of it right.

However, the reason I didn't get another pair of Katana's was that I went through the rubber pretty quickly (quite possibly due to some bad technique as this was one of my first pairs of shoes). I had them resoled, but shortly after they developed a hole in the toe where the stitching and rand came apart. After reading through a few RC posts on these shoes it seems that this is a common problem for the Katana's so I went back to the Flash.

You'd be happy to know that I going back to Sportiva, I just bought a pair of Venoms to try out.

ckirkwood9

Jun 6, 2007, 5:00 PM
Post #38 of 38 (654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yanqui] Mad Rock Gear [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yanqui wrote:
Dragging your toes to control body pendulum on hard roof problems is fucking truck.

nice use of "FT" right there!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook