RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

nilcarborundum

Jun 8, 2007, 4:01 AM
Post #1 of 2 (314 views)
Shortcut

Vedauwoo this summer
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for some info on Vedauwoo. A lot of info...

1st: I plan on meeting some non-climbing friends for some camping, light hiking, beer around the campfire socializing, and Vedauwoo is in the perfect spot, since it splits the distance between us. Is there enough hiking in the area to keep a few people occupied without climbing?

2nd: I'm fairly new to climbing, and my leads are all sport. I own no trad equipment, and while it appeals to me, this summer will not be the time to acquire it. I may be able to get some trad climbers to go on the trip, but if not, are there enough (5.6 --5.8) sport climbs to stay entertained for the weekend?

3rd: Is there anybody that would want to show a noob around Vedauwoo and let him clean your gear? In addition to the beer I could throw your way, you would have the privilege of watching me squirm and cry my way up some not-so-difficult off-width, leaving a trail of tears and blood all the way. Keep in mind most of what I know has been learned on City of Rocks granite slab climbing.

This will all take place in early July, assuming that our work schedule cooperates. If not July, mid-August.

Thanks in advance for the help.

JC

johnhemlock

Jun 8, 2007, 2:19 PM
Post #2 of 2 (298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nilcarborundum] Vedauwoo this summer [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There is lots of nice day hiking on the "back side" of Vedauwoo, as well as good hiking to reach some of the outlying climbing areas. And the surroundiing areas are full of stuff.

There are enough sport climbs for the weekend if you do the same climb over and over again. Vedauwoo is perhaps the most trad area I can think of. . . . there is a moderate 3 clip bolt-up on the Rat Brain and maybe another route or two that sport an occasional bolt but otherwise you had better bring a rack. You can setup a few topropes but I wouldn't call Vedauwoo a prime area for that, either. From the top of the Rat Brain you can toprope 3 or 4 different routes. A trad rack opens up a world of 5.6 - 5.8 possibilities.

I'd be happy to climb with you for a day or so, shoot me a PM.

(This post was edited by johnhemlock on Jun 8, 2007, 2:20 PM)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook