RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

sabu

Jun 12, 2007, 4:32 AM
Post #1 of 2 (318 views)
Shortcut

Sleeping bag recommendations
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Howzit,
Im interested in buying a new sleeping bag, one that is fit for above snow line stuff possibly even for use in alpine NZ.
Im curious if anyone has a Vango or specifically a Viper 750 bag and how it performs / is it worth it. im also interested in the size it packs down to so if anyone does have one, dimensions or a pic would be extremely helpful.
Also any other recommendations on brands or types would be great as i don't know too much about whats out there.
Thanks in advance
Sabu.

pastprime

Jun 18, 2007, 4:32 PM
Post #2 of 2 (257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sabu] Sleeping bag recommendations [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Not familiar with Vango, or what's usually available in your side of the world. If it is any help, I'm absolutely in love with my two Montbell Ultralight super stretch down hugger series bags. Very light for the warmth, seem to be quite well made; but what really sets them apart is the light elastic baffles, which give you the warmth of a very narrow bag, by snuggling the bag in all around you, but stretch as you move to comfortably allow all kinds of sprawled out positions for your tired aching body. I could never go back to a conventional confining design after using these.
Because the bags when relaxed/unsprawled are so narrow, they are much puffier and thick, hence warm, than other bags with similar down amounts. I am also pretty convinced their down is as good as some manufacturers who give higher fill power specs in their catalogs. Montbell is a Japanese company, so I'll bet it is distributed where you are.

Here in the US, making more conventional, non stretching bags; Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are small but well established companies who produce absolutely first rate down products. I doubt you could find anyone who is familiar with their products who isn't very impressed with the quality of the products, and the service from the companies. Both are very good; Feathered Friends, in Seattle, will customize fabrics and fill weights on the producsts if you have special requirements.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook