RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

thomascrown

Jul 2, 2007, 5:56 PM
Post #1 of 11 (976 views)
Shortcut

Australia trip in December
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I need some advice.....I will be in Australia climbing for 11 days. I am thinking that I want to sport climb about 70% of the time and trad climb about 30% of the time. Fi you were making this trip, what would be the ideal locations and walls you would visit. Keep in mind that it is Summer, so hopefully walls/routes without direct sunlight. I am really looking for some specifics if you can give them to me. For example: "Day 1: Fly to Syd, rent car, drive to Grampians. Day 2-5: Climb at Grampians, routes X, Y, Z). Day 6, drive to Mt. Arapalies. Day 7-9 climb at Arap (routes/walls X, Y, Z). Day 10: Drive back to Syd. Day 11: Fly back to US.
Thanks for the help. I really want to make the most of this trip.

travelguy

Jul 3, 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #2 of 11 (969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomascrown] Australia trip in December [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grampians and Arapiles are near Melbourne, not Sydney. Most of the good climbs are trad, not sport

Blue Mts. are near Sydney and there is more sport there

If you don't have a partner, stick with Arapiles. The other sites are very difficult to find partners

thomascrown

Jul 3, 2007, 5:10 PM
Post #3 of 11 (968 views)
Shortcut

Re: [travelguy] Australia trip in December [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info. I do have a partner going with me. Where is the best sport area in the country? Blue mountains?

travelguy

Jul 3, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #4 of 11 (966 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

from what I know, yes

Partner philbox

Jul 4, 2007, 2:43 AM
Post #5 of 11 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, Blueys is the sport mecca you'll be wanting to go to and it should be great weather at that time of year. Check out Centennial Glen and Boronia Point as well as The Egg and of course numerous other areas. There is ten lifetimes of climbing at the Blueys. Buy a guidebook at any of the outdoor stores in Katoomba up in the Blueys.

Definitely go to Arapilies. It is one of THE world class destinations that all climbers need to go to at least once in their lifetime. Step up to the cliff with a simple rack of wires and yer golden, it is almost sport climbing it is so easy to protect. Heaps of slots that have over the years become conformed to the shape of wires.

Grampians is another one and in particular Taipan Wall.

Do have fun and remember to take lotsa pics and post em up for us to ogle.

thomascrown

Jul 5, 2007, 5:47 PM
Post #6 of 11 (953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [philbox] Australia trip in December [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks again for all the help. Has anyone rented a car there? I assume it is pretty easy, but do you have any recommendations on what company to rent with? Will I need to get any special forms or lisence to drive? I know about the left hand side thing, so that should be interesting.

Partner philbox

Jul 7, 2007, 7:51 PM
Post #7 of 11 (945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Renting cars is pretty easy really. Just rock up to the counter and pays yer money along with filling all the forms out and yer golden. If you want it a bit cheaper then go with one of the off site fellas and not one of the big guys at the airport. Of course that would then necessitate a bit of homework on your part tracking down what you require. Not to mention the inconvenience of actually going and finding the homebase of the rental company somewhere in an unknown city whilst dragging ya bags all over the joint.

Might be better if you just hire on from the airport particularly if you are a short term hirer. Long term just go out and buy a car and drive it into the ground.

thomascrown

Jul 16, 2007, 5:30 PM
Post #8 of 11 (863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can anyone recommend nice, but cheap hostels in/around Mt. Arap, Grampians, and Blue Mountains? Anyone know of any good websites I can order climbing guides from the Internet about Aus? I have only found one on Amazonand it costs $100....yikes.

Partner philbox

Jul 23, 2007, 2:10 AM
Post #9 of 11 (839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No hostels whatsoever around Araps. It sits way out in the middle of a vast area of wheat fields and only has a camping area. Go the dirtbag route on this one. Grampians has some very upmarket accomodations and caters for the well heeled toruist but it also has the poverty pack campgrounds where you can avoid paying anything. Go the poverty pack dirtbag route here too. Blue Mountains can be an expensive destination but pov dirtbag accoms in the caves and bushland around the crags can be had for free.

As for guides there are quaility stores in Katoomba in the Bluies and at Natimuk near Araps but none that I know of in the Gramps. Dunno about online sellers of guides.

thomascrown

Jul 23, 2007, 4:51 AM
Post #10 of 11 (837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do not think that I am going to be able to bring a tent. Where would you suggest finding a place to sleep near Arap?

Can you help me with the names of the walls that are developed sport clmbing walls in the Gramps?

Partner philbox

Jul 23, 2007, 6:03 AM
Post #11 of 11 (833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomascrown wrote:
I do not think that I am going to be able to bring a tent. Where would you suggest finding a place to sleep near Arap?

Can you help me with the names of the walls that are developed sport clmbing walls in the Gramps?

Truely, there is no where at Araps to accomodate you apart from you sleeping in a tent. Nearest town is Natimuk and that does not have accoms either, Horsham is about an hour away or so and it would suck to have to drive that far. You could always buy a $20 tent at BCF.

Taipan Wall is THE place to be seen at the Grampians. Also you should post on chockstone for more info on climbing in Victoria. You should definitely be trying to climb at Araps, it is a world class crag that every climber should aspire to visit at least once in their lifetime.

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook