RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

summittim

Jul 19, 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #1 of 13 (13174 views)
Shortcut

Indoor Slack Line
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for putting up a permanent or temporary slack line indoors? We had one up at our gym. It was attached to reinforced bolt hole on the 2 sides of our arch. However, the stress was too much on the system and the anchors ripped out.

We have a tilt wall building (concrete walls) and a lot of open space to work with.

Ideas anyone?

Tim (owner of Summit Climbing Gym - Grapevine, TX)

summerprophet

Jul 19, 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #2 of 13 (13165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summittim] Indoor Slack Line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you drill through the concrete wall and access the other side?
If that is the case, I would drill through the wall and run a heavy duty eyebolt with plates on each side. the backside plate would be held in by a nut on the end of the eyebolt, while the front side plate should be held in with (small) concrete bolts in addition to the eye. This will avoid the concrete from fracturing out around the hole.

summittim

Jul 20, 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #3 of 13 (13133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summerprophet] Indoor Slack Line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you so much! We can definitely go through the concrete wall for one side of this, but the other side will have to be something different. Our building is 100x100 so we need something shorter.

summerprophet

Jul 20, 2007, 1:08 AM
Post #4 of 13 (13122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Without having a better description, it is difficult to give you further advice. I am assuming the other end of the anchor is going to a covered plywood wall of some sort (typical gym wall), as a general rule, I would use steel plates behind the wall to distribute the load. If have a friend who does any fabrication, or even general construction they should be able to help you out.

Heck, you have a gym, post a message up there that you will trade a chalkbag or something for someone to fab something up for you.

Good luck,

greenketch

Jul 20, 2007, 1:36 AM
Post #5 of 13 (13111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It would be a little hard to do stuff without a layout of what and where. Here are a couple general hints.

Bolts placed in shear will hold better than bolts in tension. hence if you can place the eye bolts such that they are pulled in shear ( or at least not in pure tension) you will get better results. One possiblity would be going across a corner diagonally so that both anchors are pulled at an angle.

The end of the line does not have to be the wall. YOu may be able to use an a-frame to anchor arther away and still keep the effective length short enough for gym walks.

flint

Jul 20, 2007, 1:49 AM
Post #6 of 13 (13105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Drill two holes in the plywood climbing wall, close to a support beam, or other metal support structure. Take your webbing, wrap it around the beam and you have your anchor.

I have seen so many bolts ripped out of plywood trying to set a slackline up indoors. All you have to do is look behind the wall and see what is strong enough. You probably want some soft goods around the structure to protect the webbing, like old beach towels, or my personal favorite, run the webbing threw thick wall rubber tubing. Cord and cable also works.

N_Oo_B

Jul 22, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #7 of 13 (13037 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Indoor Slack Line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The diagonal from two walls sounds like it has alot of lenth options as well as a strong way to attach to the building.

Partner cliffhanger9

Jul 22, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #8 of 13 (13018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Tim -

We've had a slackline setup in our gym for years.

The first way we did it was to sling the steel I-beams behind the walls and make a small opening in the plywood (similar to what FLINT is talking about above). There were a few problems with this. The first of which was that it went from one wall to the other like it sounds like you are planning on doing. This setup basically cut the gym space in half and made it difficult for someone to cross from one side to the other if someone was on the slackline. More importantly, there were too many points for the webbing to rub on and made it difficult to inspect the anchor which incidentally was behind the wall. Eventually the abuse of the jump type tricks etc eventually put enough pressure on the plywood to start to peel it back. I know you have concrete walls but this almost definitely will happen to some degree at some point if you chose to do it this way regardless of whether you line them with towels or not. (the concrete will crack, chip etc etc)

The way we have it currently set up (and have for a few years without problems) is with a pair of steel posts (probably 4"x6"x4' hollow w/maybe a 5/8" thick wall) welded perpendicular to a square flat steel plate. The plate is maybe 18-20" square and bolted to the concrete floor with a generous amount of anchors.

The slackline is then just tied to the posts like you do around trees in a campground. Wrap the posts in some old crashpad foam and its actually less likely to get hurt hitting these things than it is running into a climbing wall.

And despite what people maybe thinking as far as the poles pulling...if you have a wide enough base plate and over engineer the amount of bolts - you wont have any problem. We've had this setup for years and we have some really active slackliners that abuse this thing daily with jumps and tricks and its been fine.

Good luck and rock on-
Dan

PS- make sure you update your waiver forms to cover the risks of slacklining

(This post was edited by cliffhanger9 on Jul 22, 2007, 8:24 PM)

Partner cliffhanger9

Jul 22, 2007, 8:27 PM
Post #9 of 13 (13013 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Indoor Slack Line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
Drill two holes in the plywood climbing wall, close to a support beam, or other metal support structure. Take your webbing, wrap it around the beam and you have your anchor.

I have seen so many bolts ripped out of plywood trying to set a slackline up indoors. All you have to do is look behind the wall and see what is strong enough. You probably want some soft goods around the structure to protect the webbing, like old beach towels, or my personal favorite, run the webbing threw thick wall rubber tubing. Cord and cable also works.

Did you read the post?Unimpressed

His walls are not plywood

climbordie7

Jul 22, 2007, 9:45 PM
Post #10 of 13 (13001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cliffhanger9] Indoor Slack Line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

at slidellrocks climbing gym our coaches tried to put a slack line up about fifteen feet and they didn't really know what they were doing apparently b/c they did not know how to properly anchor the line in so the owner made them take it down after only two test walks. maybe one day they will anchor it so we can practice the slackline more often. thanks for the tip on anchors!Wink

climbordie7

Jul 22, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #11 of 13 (12999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbordie7] Indoor Slack Line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry i forgot to mention that they were hooked up to a rope at that height, but they had put one up at like 2 1/2 feet b/f and then moved it up higher for the thrill factor.

flint

Jul 23, 2007, 1:21 AM
Post #12 of 13 (12976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cliffhanger9] Indoor Slack Line [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cliffhanger9 wrote:
flint wrote:

Did you read the post?Unimpressed

His walls are not plywood

His building walls are made of concrete, I am assuming that the arch and most of the climbing area is plywood attached to a steel framework, which is anchored to the concrete walls. If I am wrong please let the original poster correct me.

Thank you

kylekienitz

Jul 23, 2007, 8:35 PM
Post #13 of 13 (12944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DOORS!!!!

KM in Roskie 9th floor.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook