RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

climbordie7

Jul 30, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2134 views)
Shortcut

intense shoulder blade pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hey i was wondering if any one else had the same problem or an answer for me. I've been having this really bad sharp pain in my left shoulder blade. I'm not sure why but it has been almost constant for about 2 1/2 months now and my doctor wasn't much help. its like a stabbing, sharp pain usually while I am at the crux of a hard boulder problem and for hours afterwards. especially when doing a hard left lock off or cross over or left undercling. It gets pretty intense when I take a deep breath too. someone give me a clue.

Basta916

Jul 30, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbordie7] intense shoulder blade pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbordie7 wrote:
hey i was wondering if any one else had the same problem or an answer for me. I've been having this really bad sharp pain in my left shoulder blade. I'm not sure why but it has been almost constant for about 2 1/2 months now and my doctor wasn't much help. its like a stabbing, sharp pain usually while I am at the crux of a hard boulder problem and for hours afterwards. especially when doing a hard left lock off or cross over or left undercling. It gets pretty intense when I take a deep breath too. someone give me a clue.

yeap....sounds just like something I did last september...did mine doing a cross, but in right shoulder....took like six month to go away....good luck

just_throw_it

Jul 30, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbordie7 wrote:

i have that too. mine is a result of tears and strain in the supraspinatus muscle and levator scapulae. it's exacerbated by stress (we tend to hunch our shoulders when we're stressed and that compromises back and neck muscles). i would say that deep tissue massage may help it or physical therapy--i had a pt who managed to get her thumb underneath my shoulderblade (no small feat since my back is so tight and racked) and managed to release the knot back there. accupuncture is also a great help. and if all else fails, a cortisone shot or trigger point injections do wonders! try the deep tissue massage first.

hth

CGCorey26

Jul 30, 2007, 6:56 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2100 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say you sprained or strained your trapezius or intercostal muscles. This would explain why you have sharp stabbing pain when these muscles are put under intense strain. When did the pain first start? During or after a climb? Not sure how medically savvy you are, so I'll explain. You're trapezius muscles more or less connect i the vicinity of your shoulder blades. You're intercostals are the muscles between each pair of your ribs. If it hurts to take a deep breath, an intercostal injury could be the culprit. The top of your rib cage is almost the same level as the bottom of your shoulder blades. So, either one or both of them could be giving you issues. I'm not a doctor, but I am a Corpsman in the Coast Guard and a paramedic student completing clinicals. So, for what its worth, I'd recommend taking it easy for a few weeks to see if your pain subsides. If it worsens at any time, go back to your doctor. And, as common sense would dictate, if you feel like you need a doctor, there's a reason you feel that way, and you should probably follow your instincts. Your body knows what it needs. Hope this helps.

CGCorey26

Jul 30, 2007, 6:59 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2097 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CGCorey26] intense shoulder blade pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just throw it is on the right track, too.

climbordie7

Jul 30, 2007, 7:08 PM
Post #6 of 14 (2092 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CGCorey26] intense shoulder blade pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well i did take a week off after about the first week that I was in pain, but it never stopped, then I took two weeks off (kinda any way, i work at a rock gym and we had summer camps both those weeks so i ended up demonstrating some roof stuff, but not alot) i climb 5 to 6 days a week so taking that much time off nearly drove me insane. when i did go to my doctor she tole me i probably pulled something but that was like 2 months ago. anyway i might try that deep tissue massage thing.

climbordie7

Jul 30, 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do you think that taking two weeks off would be enough time to heal a pulled muscle if that was what it is b/c i already did that.

Basta916

Jul 30, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbordie7 wrote:
do you think that taking two weeks off would be enough time to heal a pulled muscle if that was what it is b/c i already did that.
no, really man. It took me six month . I did climb, but I was careful of things that I knew would hurt ( like dyno )
and dont take a pain killers so you can climb....bad idea ( just in a case u thought about that ) rest that shoulder as much as you can

climbordie7

Jul 30, 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2041 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Basta916] intense shoulder blade pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dude I've been taking a couple of advils every time I climb just because i knew it would start to hurt soon, but wait do you mean that you didn't climb much during that six months or that you did and you regret it, or that you did but you didn't climb very hard.
b/c i need to be training for triple crown and can't afford to take a couple of months off and when i start college in a couple weeks i'll only be able to climb on weekends so i will have to climb/train as hard as i can to make up for lost time.

Basta916

Jul 30, 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, let's clarify a few things. Although advil will help with your pain, it also masks it while you are climbing while injured. Many climbers end up hurting themselves worse because they don't realize they are doing more damage while on the pain pills.

I did climb during the 6 months, actually pretty frequently. I just avoided, or utilized other moves than normal, to avoid strain on my right shoulder. I had to go a couple of grades down to avoid serious damage.

"College"...it sounds like you are much younger than me. So hopefully it will take you less time to heal. That's if it is the same injury that I had.

climbordie7

Jul 31, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #11 of 14 (2006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Basta916] intense shoulder blade pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well heres the thing about the pain Frownkillers, they don't seem to be minimizing the pain at all. i mean the few times that I don't take anything for the pain it fells just as bad as when I do. maybe my body has gotten too used to the pain killer that it has no effect any more.[/:(]

lithiummetalman

Jul 31, 2007, 5:12 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1988 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"result of tears and strain in the supraspinatus muscle and levator scapulae."

I did the same thing 3 1/2 years ago, also, as another user stated it takes a very long time to heal.

Several things that helped me:

-A Doctor specialized in sport related injuries
-A Physical Therapist dealing with sport related injuries
-Deep tissue massage
-Took at LEAST 2 months of climbing off (I do this every year out of habit now)
-Re-thought / re-learned how I moved on the rock...
-STRETCHING MY BACK!

My PT told me the 2 biggest culprits was my posture and not stretching my back enough, if not at all.

So...the remedy? It came down to Yoga stretching & Tai-chi at least 3x a week, keeps my back very happy and problem free!!!!

Hope this helps, and a speedy recovery!

Cheers!

scotchie

Jul 31, 2007, 6:55 AM
Post #13 of 14 (1975 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lithiummetalman] intense shoulder blade pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I while back I had incredible pain underneath the bottom of the shoulder blade. It hurt to breath. Sounds pretty similar. All I needed to do was learn the "trunk twist" stretch.

http://rehabworks.ksc.nasa.gov/...stretch/trunkrot.php

If this is the right stretch, it will hurt like hell at first. Go easy and apply very little force, but do it regularly. As the muscle starts to get stretched, you will be able to do it harder/longer.

Take this for what it's worth though. I am not a health care professional, and I couldn't tell from the original post if the pain was in the exact same muscle as what I was experiencing (just below shoulder blade, or in between shoulder blade and spine).

Good luck!

azrockclimber

Jul 31, 2007, 10:55 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [just_throw_it] intense shoulder blade pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just_throw_it wrote:
climbordie7 wrote:

i have that too. mine is a result of tears and strain in the supraspinatus muscle and levator scapulae. it's exacerbated by stress (we tend to hunch our shoulders when we're stressed and that compromises back and neck muscles). i would say that deep tissue massage may help it or physical therapy--i had a pt who managed to get her thumb underneath my shoulderblade (no small feat since my back is so tight and racked) and managed to release the knot back there. accupuncture is also a great help. and if all else fails, a cortisone shot or trigger point injections do wonders! try the deep tissue massage first.

hth

sounds like muscle damage to me. Deep tissue massage is a great way to help separate and heal the muscle. you could have deep lesions in your muscle that could be very painful. Hot-cold treatment and deep tissue massage.

Take it easy for a bit, get some milage in rather than hard ass short stuff...

good luck.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook