RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

kellyschutt

Jul 31, 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #1 of 9 (576 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Rope Turning Bright Silver Color
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, I just registered an account here; first post 'n all. Hope it's in the right place. I've been climbing outdoors for a few months and can do some easy 5.10's on a good day.

When I was out this weekend I set up a TR for a while and had a few friends with me. After we finished climbing and took the rope down we noticed a long, thick, bright/shiny silver streak running down one side of the rope. We climb at basalt cliffs in Idaho, and there's quite a bit of dust around. Nobody had seen it turn the rope silver before, though. I've only seen it make black streaks on the rope; probably from the friction/heat as the rope runs through the ATC. Any ideas? Anyone seen this before?

Thank you kindly for any info. I basically taught myself to climb by reading through these forums: the gear, safety, techniques, building anchors, etc. Yeah, I know you should have someone teach you and that the Internet is unreliable but I've always relied on my own judgment and it has worked out really well. Feels good to finally make a post Smile One more thing, the silver shine faded after the rope sat in my trunk for a day. It just looks black now.

Peace,
Kelly

(This post was edited by kellyschutt on Jul 31, 2007, 10:45 AM)

overlord

Jul 31, 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #2 of 9 (574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kellyschutt] Climbing Rope Turning Bright Silver Color [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that is strange.

black coloring is normal, it is usually caused by aluminum oxide from climbing gear, but i have never heard of a rope turning silver.

azrockclimber

Jul 31, 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #3 of 9 (565 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

black is normal form new atc's and biners....

silver is a bit strange. Can you confirm that it is dust or something else superficial?? Superficial dust./debris wouldn't be such a big deal.

If it is actually your rope becoming discolored I would contact the manufacturer. That isn't a good sign.

Actually, contacting the manufacturer is probably the best thing to do regardless. Give them the whole story.

kellyschutt

Jul 31, 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #4 of 9 (560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [azrockclimber] Climbing Rope Turning Bright Silver Color [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow - very active community. 2 replies in just a few minutes!

Well the silver is gone now. I'm perplexed... I thought about taking a picture of it while I was out there but it's all black. Thanks for the mfg. suggestion - I'll give them a call. It's an Edelweiss Axis 10.3mm, bought it back in March or April of '07. Thanks for the suggestion.

Anyone else seen this happen? Please lemme know... I think all the metal gear that was used was pretty well broken in (ATCs, biners, draws, etc).

overlord

Jul 31, 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #5 of 9 (554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

even if it was broken in, aluminium oxidizes pretty quick and still colors ropes black, though the black coloring is more intense and fast with new gear.

well, im bored and im waiting for my father to come back home so i can go pick up my sis on the airportWink

alpinismo_flujo

Jul 31, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #6 of 9 (498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aluminum is silver colored before it oxidizes...the dust probably acted as an abrasive and removed more aluminum than the coarseness of the rope's sheath normally would.

Congrats on climbing 10s after just a couple of months. Cool

lostcauseclimber

Jul 31, 2007, 3:16 PM
Post #7 of 9 (476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah i had that before when i got a new atc and a new rope at the same time, same thing, a bit of a strange silver streak at first, then just normal black you usually see... nothing to worry about i think

drfelatio

Jul 31, 2007, 3:40 PM
Post #8 of 9 (456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That seems to be a pretty common problem for that rope. I own an Axis myself, and I know a few of my friends have one too. We've all had similar experiences to yours. As far as I know it's mostly cosmetic, and since it only affects the sheath the strength of the rope isn't compromised.

Could the silvery color be a result of glazing causing whatever it is on the rope to shine when the light hits it just right?

(This post was edited by drfelatio on Jul 31, 2007, 3:41 PM)

uhoh

Jul 31, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #9 of 9 (402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rise of the Silver Climber! All hail Galactus!

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook