RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

GiantClimber

Aug 9, 2007, 3:45 AM
Post #1 of 9 (7449 views)
Shortcut

Starter Kit Recs
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey All,

I just started rock climbing at a local gym two weeks ago, and I've already fallen in love. I was wondering what you would recommend as good starter kits? (harness, chalk bag, carabiner) I'd like to keep the price around $100. Shoes will come later (one thing at a time)

If it helps: I'm 17, 6'6" and 160 lbs. 34" waist.

Thanks!

ClusterFock

Aug 9, 2007, 4:20 AM
Post #2 of 9 (7433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [GiantClimber] Starter Kit Recs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A good starters kit for what?
Trad climbing? Sport Climbing? Indoor climbing?

Also, shoes are the first thing you get. They're the most important thing to get.

krosbakken

Aug 9, 2007, 4:27 AM
Post #3 of 9 (7429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

GiantClimber wrote:
Hey All,

I just started rock climbing at a local gym two weeks ago, and I've already fallen in love. I was wondering what you would recommend as good starter kits? (harness, chalk bag, carabiner) I'd like to keep the price around $100. Shoes will come later (one thing at a time)

If it helps: I'm 17, 6'6" and 160 lbs. 34" waist.

Thanks!

There is a package that BD makes that sounds like just what your looking for. It comes with a harness, chalk bag,chalk, atc, and 1 carabiner. $89.95
http://www.gearexpress.biz/...;Product_Code=45203P

flint

Aug 9, 2007, 5:36 AM
Post #4 of 9 (7407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shoes and chalk should be first. Get cheap shoes, you are just going to distroy them. Wait till a birthday, x-mas, girlfriend gift, next pay day and get the BD kit from express.

Shoes and chalk allow you to boulder and work off only a rented harness. If you buy a harness, then you always have to rent shoes.

Madrock makes cheap shoes (I hate them but know people that like them) but most companies make an entry level shoe that is cheap, I know scarpa and sportiva have decent pairs.

Always have fun, never chase numbers

N_Oo_B

Aug 9, 2007, 5:43 AM
Post #5 of 9 (7404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Starter Kit Recs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got my lady a pair of shoes off ebay. Climbed in twice, and after shipping they cost 16.95$

Let her destroy those learning technique, and if they realllly do feel good on her feet Ill have them re-solled in some Onyx later.

MikaK

Aug 9, 2007, 5:54 PM
Post #6 of 9 (7349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think shoes are number one as rental shoes can be a pain to use. Pretty much the same issue with rental harness's. Depending on the shoes that you choose this is the most pricy part of the gear you need to climb in a gym.

Chalkbag and chalk depend on you. I know few climbers who do not use chalk and in the beginning in a gym it is not that important unless you have sweaty or greasy hands. The bag and chalk shoud not costs that much.

Carabiner and belaying device come when you start belaying someone. In total this is a pretty inexpensive part of the package.

markc

Aug 9, 2007, 6:31 PM
Post #7 of 9 (7329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [N_Oo_B] Starter Kit Recs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

N_Oo_B wrote:
Just got my lady a pair of shoes off ebay. Climbed in twice, and after shipping they cost 16.95$

Let her destroy those learning technique, and if they realllly do feel good on her feet Ill have them re-solled in some Onyx later.

Buying climbing shoes off ebay (or anywhere online) is generally a poor idea. The fit in a climbing shoe is extremely important, and you should try on a range of shoes to see what really works with your foot and the style of climbing you're doing.

There are very few exceptions to the above. If you're already familiar with a specific shoe and its fit, you may get away with ordering online. If you're ordering from a company such as Zappo's, with free shipping each way, the only thing you're wasting is time.

Like the majority of posters, I'd be tempted to look at shoes before other equipment. This is especially true if you boulder or plan to tag along with a group and climb outdoors. I have a few spare harnesses that will fit the average person, but only a couple different sizes of shoes. (I also don't want new climbers wearing out my favorite shoes.)

mikitta

Aug 9, 2007, 6:37 PM
Post #8 of 9 (7323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MikaK] Starter Kit Recs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For shoes - ask your local gym if they are selling old stock to make room for new. If so, ask them to throw in a resoling for you. That should get you going on shoes for starting out.

Also, you can check out the various manufacturers' websites - several of them sell discontinued overstock. Mad Rock has some of their shoes for around $30 because they are discontinued models.

Here is Mad Rock's outlet http://www.madrockclimbing.com/...&category_id=260

Check gear express for harness deals. Pretty much, the BD package is very good. They dont' have any more of the cheap Singing Rock large size harnesses currently - but I got that with a 'biner and ATC and some chalk for around $50. Could have added a chalk bag for under $15 I think.

Also - they have http://www.gearexpress.biz/...p;Product_Code=2100P for about $20 less than the BD package.

God Bless,
mik

(This post was edited by mikitta on Aug 9, 2007, 6:38 PM)

sinrtb

Aug 9, 2007, 8:00 PM
Post #9 of 9 (7283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClusterFock] Starter Kit Recs [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ClusterFock wrote:
A good starters kit for what?
Trad climbing? Sport Climbing? Indoor climbing?

Also, shoes are the first thing you get. They're the most important thing to get.
I always thought the harness might be up a little higher on the list.

Edit to explain my reasoning:

Your first pair of shoes will last you about 6 months at the most before they need to be resoled, and at about that time you will be looking for something more aggressive/expensive.

Your first harness will last you 5ish years and there really is not better ones to get as you improve. They are only about comfort while your are falling/hanging.

Of course if you are going to be bouldering more then roped climbing I am way off and you should definetly get shoes/chalk long before you get a harness.

(This post was edited by sinrtb on Aug 9, 2007, 8:15 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook