RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

domu888

Aug 23, 2007, 1:56 AM
Post #1 of 19 (2618 views)
Shortcut

Inverse Training Holds??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a serious problem: no where to hang practice holds. Mad I live in a ground floor apartment, and the lease specifies that we can't just start drilling holes in the walls and hanging stuff up. I tried hanging from holds suspended from the neighbour's balcony, but the cheap construction has given it a definite tilt and the neighbor had the landlord in to correct it: thankfully, I had removed the holds.

I was considering building a rig that I could hang from in the backyard, but the backyard is kind of small and I'm a big guy. Anyway, I thought about attaching the holds to weights and using them that way, but I wondered if anyone had any advice. I cannot move because we have 2 years of our lease left. it doesn't help that I live in Japan and the apartment is tiny.

Any advice?

snakedevil

Aug 23, 2007, 2:00 AM
Post #2 of 19 (2612 views)
Shortcut

Re: [domu888] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

build some sort of freestanding support for it? dunno how much space thatd take up tho

Valarc

Aug 23, 2007, 2:13 AM
Post #3 of 19 (2601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Learn to use spackle?

Seriously, patching a couple of bolt holes is trivial. Take a chip of the wall paint to a paint store and have them match the color, and spend a few minutes learning to do a halfway-decent patch job. I've hung LCD TV's weighing a metric assload off walls of previous apartments and the landlords never knew about it.

The only caveat is the possible differences in home construction in Japan, about which I admittedly know diddly squat. If it's anything that's painted, it should be pretty easy to fix your holes.

domu888

Aug 23, 2007, 2:22 AM
Post #4 of 19 (2591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
Learn to use spackle?

Seriously, patching a couple of bolt holes is trivial. Take a chip of the wall paint to a paint store and have them match the color, and spend a few minutes learning to do a halfway-decent patch job. I've hung LCD TV's weighing a metric assload off walls of previous apartments and the landlords never knew about it.

The only caveat is the possible differences in home construction in Japan, about which I admittedly know diddly squat. If it's anything that's painted, it should be pretty easy to fix your holes.

It sounds like a good plan, but the thing panel unit-type construction of Japanese apartments means there's very little structural support from the walls: the walls are not load-bearing in any way, so wouldn't support the forces involved, unless I drilled just above a supporting beam, which is going to be difficult and invlove collaboration with the upstairs neighbout, which is completely impossible.

Seriously the walls are so thin I can hear the neighbours moving around; they must hate me for the same reason!Wink

I was thinking about attaching dumb-bell weights to the holds, what do people think?

gobennyjo

Aug 23, 2007, 2:56 AM
Post #5 of 19 (2569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about above the doors, are there no type of header or anything, yea it is Japan and they dont have the same codes but it seems like there would be some kind of place that would do, Even trailers made out of BS board, have like 2x2s every 16 inches

domu888

Aug 23, 2007, 3:05 AM
Post #6 of 19 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The apartment we live in is a kind of pre-fabricated unit building that they literally just bolt onto a metal frame attached to the foundations. The support for the interior panels is then below the junction of the ceiling and walls. I'll investigate the doors, but I have a feeling that they are just cut out of a simble panel. The thinking behind this is that when the house collapses in an earthquake it will be lighter and less likely to crush people ... talk about optimistic planning!Crazy

What do people think about a shorter rig that I could pull on like a reverse push-up or reclining pull-up?

ClusterFock

Aug 23, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #7 of 19 (2552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any trees nearby that you can bolt holds into? Tongue

joeforte

Aug 23, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #8 of 19 (2552 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe you need to take up buildering. Or just go climb something man-made. Anything. There has to be something to pull on nearby! Lean a ladder against your house and climb up the underside of it!

Carnage

Aug 23, 2007, 4:07 PM
Post #9 of 19 (2494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i like the ladder idea, lean the ladder on the side of the building, then hang http://www.rei.com/...2913?vcat=REI_SEARCHfrom em.

(This post was edited by Carnage on Aug 23, 2007, 4:07 PM)

collegekid

Aug 23, 2007, 7:09 PM
Post #10 of 19 (2450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

domu888 wrote:
I have a serious problem: no where to hang practice holds. Mad I live in a ground floor apartment, and the lease specifies that we can't just start drilling holes in the walls and hanging stuff up. I tried hanging from holds suspended from the neighbour's balcony, but the cheap construction has given it a definite tilt and the neighbor had the landlord in to correct it: thankfully, I had removed the holds.

I was considering building a rig that I could hang from in the backyard, but the backyard is kind of small and I'm a big guy. Anyway, I thought about attaching the holds to weights and using them that way, but I wondered if anyone had any advice. I cannot move because we have 2 years of our lease left. it doesn't help that I live in Japan and the apartment is tiny.

Any advice?

Look at Iron Mind's website for grip training ideas maybe. You can buy a free-standing pullup bar and hang some "Rock Rings" from it, or you can build your own freestanding hangboard support (I've done so in the past). The problem with freestanding supports is that it is difficult to make the thing stable, yet still have clearance for your legs when you are hanging from it. In this situation, I'd seriously look into purchasing a pre-made pullup bar and hanging rock rings from it--Metolius makes Rock Rings and I'm sure other companies also make similar products.

If you feel like purchasing a large weight set (i.e. full size bar + 200 lbs of weights) you can perform "heavy finger rolls," which I have found to be helpful for gaining finger strength; a description can be found at Nicros' web site.

N_Oo_B

Aug 23, 2007, 7:39 PM
Post #11 of 19 (2424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Roof Jug holds littered all over the underside of your kitchen table!

hmm...you're in japan, maybe you have a table that's 12 inchs off the floor...

gobennyjo

Aug 23, 2007, 7:58 PM
Post #12 of 19 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow now that is kinda scary, hey one more idea it there is a beam in the ceiling you could but two srew eyes into then hang those hanging holds off of, is the ceiling even sheetrock or is it some kind of panel

tucsonalex

Aug 24, 2007, 2:18 AM
Post #13 of 19 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Perhaps you could consider building something like this?

Found another photo of a similar design:

(This post was edited by tucsonalex on Aug 24, 2007, 2:22 AM)

N_Oo_B

Aug 24, 2007, 2:26 AM
Post #14 of 19 (2343 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tucsonalex] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The top picture is perfect! Build yourself your own bed frame and use it as a dual purpose fold up campus training facility!!!

That might come off as crazy, but it's an idea I would seriously consider if I was you. I'm just that crazy =]

Gmburns2000

Aug 24, 2007, 2:34 AM
Post #15 of 19 (2336 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

domu888 wrote:

Any advice?

Call your landlord and tell him you've come down with a terrible form of diahrea, and that you can't keep from shitting all over the place. Tell him it's incurable without drugs that give you temporary turrets sydrome and that it makes you allergic to mainstream fabrics such as cotton. Advise him that you'll be running around naked, swearing at the top of your lungs for no apparent reason with shit randomly flying out of your ass and all over his hardwood floors. And then, just before you're about to hangup, tell him that you're glad you signed a two-year lease because the girl you got it from (his daughter of course, but don't let on that you know it's his daughter. Just kind of mispronounce the girl's name enough so that he can fill in the blanks himself) got kicked out of her apartment, can't find housing anywhere and may have to move back home. Make sure you ask for another year on your lease, too, just in case the disease lasts longer than the standard 24 months.

I'm assuming you won't have any problems finding a new apartment after that. Unless he's a doctor and a sadist. Then build away my friend. Build away.

domu888

Aug 24, 2007, 2:45 AM
Post #16 of 19 (2326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tucsonalex] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That's a fantastic idea! Could do with a new bed frame. Thanks for the photo.Cool

hrtmnstrfr

Aug 24, 2007, 1:15 PM
Post #17 of 19 (2296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I built this in an hour with $6o worth of wood.

N_Oo_B

Aug 25, 2007, 3:56 AM
Post #18 of 19 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hrtmnstrfr] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

...he lives in japan

that's bigger than his appartment.

collegekid

Aug 25, 2007, 4:23 AM
Post #19 of 19 (2227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hrtmnstrfr] Inverse Training Holds?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hrtmnstrfr wrote:
[image]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/162/372869361_386a460667.jpg[/image]
I built this in an hour with $6o worth of wood.

That's a nice example there. Don't your knees hit the ground while you are campusing though? And doesn't your elbow(s) hit the side brace? Seems to me you would be better off with just a series of campus holds in the middle that you can perform dead-hangs on (perhaps have two or three hangboards in a row?)

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook