Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

htotsu

Aug 23, 2007, 3:22 AM
Post #126 of 189 (5238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summitseeker] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

summitseeker wrote:
Is anyone catching that since women are "mistreated" that ALL men are the "mistreaters"
No. Just the ones who mistreat. Nice try, though.

Happie, wow, you've really been holding it down. Well done. I can't believe this is alive again, but for what it's worth, I think you've done an amazing job trying, with great patience, to make it clear why some of the remarks in this thread - and on this site in general - have been offensive.

And Slab, just to elaborate on what Happie (very respectfully) said, yes - saying that you think women appear sexy in a certain garment is VERY DIFFERENT from saying that you believe the REASON why a woman wears that garment must be because she wants to appear sexy to you. I'm glad you seem to be starting to see that difference, as you said women you meet are often offended by things that you say. If you genuinely do not wish to offend, then I hope you will try to take what we are saying to heart about certain treatment being upsetting instead of telling us to sit back and enjoy it since other people wish they were treated that way.

And Reno, seriously. If I were to write in a thread about clouds - in a forum about clouds - that many clouds are grey, it wouldn't necessarily mean that, say, many shoes are not also grey. For you to add a post pointing out that there are grey shoes (as though I had suggested otherwise) would be absurd.

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 4:18 PM
Post #127 of 189 (5199 views)
Shortcut

Re: [htotsu] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

htotsu wrote:
And Slab, just to elaborate on what Happie (very respectfully) said, yes - saying that you think women appear sexy in a certain garment is VERY DIFFERENT from saying that you believe the REASON why a woman wears that garment must be because she wants to appear sexy to you. I'm glad you seem to be starting to see that difference, as you said women you meet are often offended by things that you say. If you genuinely do not wish to offend, then I hope you will try to take what we are saying to heart about certain treatment being upsetting instead of telling us to sit back and enjoy it since other people wish they were treated that way.

yesss ma'am...
Angelic [wicked]

wonderwoman

Aug 23, 2007, 5:04 PM
Post #128 of 189 (5190 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slablizard] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's another RC.com recent example of why some of us are touchy. Here's a perfectly awesome front page pic of a strong woman climber in a beautiful setting:

Second comment:
"nice ti...i mean pic"

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ring/Moab_91079.html

It's a great picture, but instead of commenting on the quality of boulder problem, the strenght of the climber, or anything climbing related, this loser mentions her chest. That is degrading and humiliating to that woman who is likely a very strong climber, and deserves some respect. His comments were unprovoked and inappropriate. And no, Slab, I am not secretly wishing someone would put a 'nice tits' comment on any of my profile pictures.

So, I called that guy a jerk. The response I got from another user: "Nah, just male. Difference."

For the record, I think more highly of men than the person who made the comment above.

And thanks to Happiegirl for having the patience to keep this discussion going. It's important, but frustrating. You have more patience than I have!

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 5:29 PM
Post #129 of 189 (5177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:

It's a great picture, but instead of commenting on the quality of boulder problem, the strenght of the climber, or anything climbing related, this loser mentions her chest. That is degrading and humiliating to that woman who is likely a very strong climber, and deserves some respect.

I get it..what I don't get is why it has to be "degrading" ? Humiliating? Why? Just because he noticed a body feature? The comment doesn't sounds rude or offensive, I can understand if you said "uncalled for" but "humiliating"?

That's all I am saying...I am al for respect for all, women and men , but being oversensitive doesn't make your life easier...Someone comments (positively) on your body? Why not smile and take it as what it is? A compliment?

You can answer " thanks, but I posted the pics because of the move, not to show off my breast"

I don't know it seems obvious to me...of course within the limits of good taste... Am I wrong?

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 23, 2007, 5:46 PM
Post #130 of 189 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

.....Slab - could you do us all a favor,and link a picture of yourself(climbing a route or on a boulder problem), that you are especially proud of. Not because the photo makes you look "hot" or shows off your.....ummm...buldging manhood or some other feature of your body. One that shows you making effort in climbing.

We'll then post "comments." Please post the picture here, rather than directing us to one in your gallery, so we don't pollute the thing with remarks that would be innapropirate.

Consider it an experiment.

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 5:53 PM
Post #131 of 189 (5172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:
.....Slab - could you do us all a favor,and link a picture of yourself(climbing a route or on a boulder problem), that you are especially proud of. Not because the photo makes you look "hot" or shows off your.....ummm...buldging manhood or some other feature of your body. One that shows you making effort in climbing.

We'll then post "comments." Please post the picture here, rather than directing us to one in your gallery, so we don't pollute the thing with remarks that would be innapropirate.

Consider it an experiment.

Ahem..I can hardly separate the two...Sly

but here you go..:)
..lol

(This post was edited by slablizard on Aug 23, 2007, 5:56 PM)
Attachments: l_67fa83396a82a3f72742084d7a9de008.jpg (12.0 KB)

reno

Aug 23, 2007, 6:24 PM
Post #132 of 189 (5161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:

..lol

[image]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058/1214974639_15e0851333.jpg?v=0[/image]

Nice chest form.

Tongue

Partner macherry

Aug 23, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #133 of 189 (5154 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
slablizard wrote:

..lol

[image]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058/1214974639_15e0851333.jpg?v=0[/image]

Nice chest form.

Tongue

can't tell pic is too small!!!

climb_eng

Aug 23, 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #134 of 189 (5147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those are great looking arms... all toned and stuff. Very yummy.

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #135 of 189 (5146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:

hey that's not fair..all I got are comments from same sex dudes? And I'm not even gay. Sly

climb_eng

Aug 23, 2007, 7:31 PM
Post #136 of 189 (5140 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:
climb_eng wrote:

hey that's not fair..all I got are comments from same sex dudes? And I'm not even gay. Sly

You don't know 'til you try hunny.

chocophile

Aug 23, 2007, 7:31 PM
Post #137 of 189 (5139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, you dont' get it, Slab. The word "tits" is degrading to most women and if I posted a picture and someone posted that comment it would feel like a "fuck you." And don't tell people to lighten up about issues you obviously have no idea about. You can choose to breeze through life if that suits you but you probably won't notice a "fuck you" if it hit you on the head. Fuck you, SLab.

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #138 of 189 (5130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chocophile] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chocophile wrote:
No, you dont' get it, Slab. The word "tits" is degrading to most women and if I posted a picture and someone posted that comment it would feel like a "fuck you." And don't tell people to lighten up about issues you obviously have no idea about. You can choose to breeze through life if that suits you but you probably won't notice a "fuck you" if it hit you on the head. Fuck you, SLab.

Ahhhh The class..or the lack of it...Sly

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 7:47 PM
Post #139 of 189 (5128 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
slablizard wrote:
climb_eng wrote:

You don't know 'til you try hunny.

sweetheart...what makes you think I didn't try? It just doesn't do it to me.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 23, 2007, 7:58 PM
Post #140 of 189 (5121 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay - thanks for being a sport, Slab. Please go along with me for a bit.
1) Pretend this is a photo someone has submitted to this site. He or she hadn't asked you first, and you didn't even know they had been shooting you.

You DID see them at work, as they were shooting their own party coming up a route nearby. By the time you had topped out, they had already left.

2) You found out about the picture because one of your online friends PM'd you, with a compliment on the picture. You PM back "Wow! I didn't even know I was being photographed!" But - you don't really mind because, after all, you believe it's a pretty nice shot.

3) Your friend can't believe you were oblivious....since the sht looks...oh.... let's see. What IS the word? A little...staged? He makes a thread (In Campground, of course, because the person doesn't really climb outside; you know them from the gym, and C/G is where they feel most comfortable posting.). The thread title is "Slablizard - Too Hot to Hangdog!"

4) Of course, the thread gets plenty of comments(You can see them posted here by others - about the yummy chest and from guys, even though you aren't even gay).

5) A few days later, you get several PM's telling you your photo has gotten enough high marks that it's on the front page now! (Oh yeah - also pretend it's rc.com before the ruined the front page phot...Pretend it's nice and highlighted, like a featured photo used to be. So everyone who logs on sees it first thing.

6) Excitedly, you click, to read the comments. You're also wishing that the photographer had returned your PM, where you asked for a copy of the larger file. Alas....they haven't done so, even though they have been on the site several times since you PM'ed them.

7) There are a LOT of comments. Too many to put down here! But, they're all variations of the following four, so.... we give a synopsis.

8) Please read the "comments" and answer the questions following.

"What's that ugly, skinny thing sticking out from the front of his pants?"

"Poser thinks he's one bad dude....riiiiiight."

"Good thing it's summer, or the dude wouldn't be able to show off his girly-man chest."

"Pffft - bet he hang-dogged it."

Questions:

1) What is your initial reaction to this scenario? How do you feel about the comments, especially since you didn't submit the phot yourself, and didn't even know it had been shot.

2) Please write a "retort" to those comments, as if you were reading them, and wanted to add your side of things. Please try to be genuine, and not make up something funny for this experiemental thread. Please try to pretend this was real, and go with the feelings that came up for you.

Nice photo, by the way.

wonderwoman

Aug 23, 2007, 7:58 PM
Post #141 of 189 (5122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:

Well, I am after having to look at that picture! Laugh

Just kidding! Nice man- ti.., I mean pic.

thomasribiere

Aug 23, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #142 of 189 (5114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
Here's another RC.com recent example of why some of us are touchy. Here's a perfectly awesome front page pic of a strong woman climber in a beautiful setting:

[image]http://www.rockclimbing.com/images/photos/assets/6/339696-largest_moab.jpg[/image]

Second comment:
"nice ti...i mean pic"

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ring/Moab_91079.html

It's a great picture, but instead of commenting on the quality of boulder problem, the strenght of the climber, or anything climbing related, this loser mentions her chest. That is degrading and humiliating to that woman who is likely a very strong climber, and deserves some respect. His comments were unprovoked and inappropriate. And no, Slab, I am not secretly wishing someone would put a 'nice tits' comment on any of my profile pictures.

So, I called that guy a jerk. The response I got from another user: "Nah, just male. Difference."

For the record, I think more highly of men than the person who made the comment above.

And thanks to Happiegirl for having the patience to keep this discussion going. It's important, but frustrating. You have more patience than I have!

lilred is still around here??!!! hello lilred!

wonderwoman

Aug 23, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #143 of 189 (5096 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:
chocophile wrote:

Chocophile says what I am thinking, while Happiegirl says what I wish would come out of my mouth. Slab, I don't think you're making many friends here in the ladies room.

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #144 of 189 (5075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
slablizard wrote:
chocophile wrote:

Chocophile says what I am thinking, while Happiegirl says what I wish would come out of my mouth. Slab, I don't think you're making many friends here in the ladies room.

well no offense..but if you're THAT close minded and humorless I can live without your friendship...

When peoples relies to insults to me it's for lack of arguments or, again, humour.

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 9:25 PM
Post #145 of 189 (5069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

happiegrrrl wrote:

8) Please read the "comments" and answer the questions following.

happiegrrrl wrote:

"What's that ugly, skinny thing sticking out from the front of his pants?"

Humm you must be referring to the rope, why would the be ugly sweet? saves my life ya know?
I realize that sometimes it's HARD to see from such a small pic...but that's why you looked anyway I guess..

happiegrrrl wrote:

"Poser thinks he's one bad dude....riiiiiight."

Well actually yes, when you have a friend taking pics you tend to pose it a bit..sorry!

happiegrrrl wrote:

"Good thing it's summer, or the dude wouldn't be able to show off his girly-man chest."

Hmmm you know girls with hairy chests? Lol I don't envy their SO! ;)

happiegrrrl wrote:

"Pffft - bet he hang-dogged it."

Nope baby, I can lap that thing. Wanna try?

happiegrrrl wrote:

Questions:

1) What is your initial reaction to this scenario? How do you feel about the comments, especially since you didn't submit the phot yourself, and didn't even know it had been shot.

Well first of all I didn't know until now, that you were referring to a pic you didn't posted yourself...that would surprise me. But unless I was naked or in an embarassing position that would not be much of a deal...I would ask them not to do it again for sure.

happiegrrrl wrote:

2) Please write a "retort" to those comments, as if you were reading them, and wanted to add your side of things. Please try to be genuine, and not make up something funny for this experiemental thread. Please try to pretend this was real, and go with the feelings that came up for you.

I did, but honestly I could not get angry for that..I went trough much worse here at rc.com I know how rough it can be...Anyway, I understand your point, I just disagree on the amount of "indignation" is appropriate for such a scenario... A little humour makes your day better, but that's just my opinion.

Thanks for the discussion btw! You're a goos sport too!

happiegrrrl wrote:

Nice photo, by the way.

I was expecting something more daring but thanks ;)

EDITED FOR TYPOS

(This post was edited by slablizard on Aug 23, 2007, 9:29 PM)

clee03m

Aug 23, 2007, 9:30 PM
Post #146 of 189 (5065 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

AHHHH! I think I've gone blind! Put a shirt and a hat on, honey, nobody wants to see some skinny balding guy without his shirt on in the Ladies' Room. If you didn't want negative attention you would have posted a picture with proper clothing so you must really be asking for it.

Just adding to the experiment.

Partner happiegrrrl

Aug 23, 2007, 9:45 PM
Post #147 of 189 (5061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You were expecting something more daring?

Do you mean that you were expecting I would write comments that were more like sexual innuendos?

Sort....the way that women might expect comments about climbing on pictures of them climbing, when posted on a climbing site?

So...you didn't get what you were expecting....hmmmm.

I do notice that, you came back with parries of attempted wit to defend yourslef against these slights. (One man's wit may very well be another woman's whip....)

And that you *did* get defensive when someone "attacked" your abilites(your running laps comment), and poked fun at you(my comment about it being a posed shot....was intended to illicit reaction, even though I sneekily snuck it in unsuspectingly! damm, I'm good!).

So....maybe you CAN understand why it would make a woman irritated to have her abilities dismissed. You didn't like attacks on your ability to climb well, or remarks about your body(you made the "hairy chest" comment....hun - we can't SEE any hair on that picture, by the way) - and surpise - neither do women.

Now, imagine that EVERY time one of your pictures comes onto rc.com, that you get these types of garbage comments.

As for humor - I would actually be surprised if anyone would honestly say I don't use humor in the majority of posts I submit to this site. I know you were referring to women in general, but slab - we're SICK of having to pretend gross behavior is "just joking." We've all Been there, done that. When a guy makes off-color "humor" at a girl's expense, and she "goes along with the gag" they often misread that as "hey! I like it!" They don't understand that she is simply trying to get through an ugly situation with out a scene.

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #148 of 189 (5038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clee03m] Am I a perv? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clee03m wrote:
AHHHH! I think I've gone blind! Put a shirt and a hat on, honey, nobody wants to see some skinny balding guy without his shirt on in the Ladies' Room. If you didn't want negative attention you would have posted a picture with proper clothing so you must really be asking for it.

Just adding to the experiment.

Why ..you prefer fat hippy ones? :) Well I can't in Happiegirls scenario I didn't post that pic, someone else did..blame her/him ;)

Ah..and thee's no such a thing as negative attention, only attention or lack of it :)

slablizard

Aug 23, 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #149 of 189 (5035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well yes, if the goal was to embarass me or put me in a defensive situation I was expecting a little more innuendo yes.

Anyway, no need for that I get your point. If that happens on regular basis you tend to loose your sense of humour and get pissed off, I agree.

I know we guys tend to be very visual and think about sex most of the times, in my case at least is always with respect. If I say you look hot it will probably be "You look really badass climber AND you look hot" but that will never mean that I don't respect you as a woman.

I will refrain to do so in the ladies room since now thou, I noticed how territorial some....of you are here ;)

Again, thanks for the interesting discussion

Slab out.

happiegrrrl wrote:
You were expecting something more daring?

Do you mean that you were expecting I would write comments that were more like sexual innuendos?

Sort....the way that women might expect comments about climbing on pictures of them climbing, when posted on a climbing site?

So...you didn't get what you were expecting....hmmmm.

I do notice that, you came back with parries of attempted wit to defend yourslef against these slights. (One man's wit may very well be another woman's whip....)

And that you *did* get defensive when someone "attacked" your abilites(your running laps comment), and poked fun at you(my comment about it being a posed shot....was intended to illicit reaction, even though I sneekily snuck it in unsuspectingly! damm, I'm good!).

So....maybe you CAN understand why it would make a woman irritated to have her abilities dismissed. You didn't like attacks on your ability to climb well, or remarks about your body(you made the "hairy chest" comment....hun - we can't SEE any hair on that picture, by the way) - and surpise - neither do women.

Now, imagine that EVERY time one of your pictures comes onto rc.com, that you get these types of garbage comments.

As for humor - I would actually be surprised if anyone would honestly say I don't use humor in the majority of posts I submit to this site. I know you were referring to women in general, but slab - we're SICK of having to pretend gross behavior is "just joking." We've all Been there, done that. When a guy makes off-color "humor" at a girl's expense, and she "goes along with the gag" they often misread that as "hey! I like it!" They don't understand that she is simply trying to get through an ugly situation with out a scene.

jgloporto

Aug 24, 2007, 8:52 PM
Post #150 of 189 (4974 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

slablizard wrote:
happiegrrrl wrote:
I'm not referring to the video(which I didn't look at either). I meant the words of the person who made the thread, and some of those who responded in it.

.....There was another post, in the General forum, where someone had had gear stolen. A person referred to some kids as "urban youth," referring to their clothes, and someone wigged out accusing her of hate speech.

Even when it was clearly explained she wasn't making a racial remark, he didn't let it go. And if the OP HAD been using the phrase to mean "black kids," it would have been repugnant. The poster would have deserved every word of disgust. The community would have said "NO. We WON'T just sit there and listen to you say that."

Yet, day in and day out, I sit here on rc.com and other places and hear guys go on and on and ON, with degrading, objectifying remarks against women. And nobody thinks a damned thing is out of line..... It's viewed as "okay" to lump an entire gender in a category stamped "For Use and Abuse," to make remarks like "She's askin' for it." When someone voices irritation, they're told to "lighten up" or in some other way diminished.

Well we have a saying in Italy...
"The mother of the idiot is always pregnant..."
meaning that everywhere in the world there is NO LACK of them (idiots)

Should I get offended everytime I see TV? In US tv movies, or films, Italians are exclusively in the mafia business...Italy is depicted like a place around "Cinqueterre" where everybody smiles, picks up girls and does nothing all day but taking a coffee break. I know that's not the truth, should I start a crusade against that?
Don't let a stupid remark ruin your day...just skip it!

Wait a second. You can't just turn this thread off. We should do that crusade thing. I hate these fuckin 'mericani!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook