Grades are bogus, just climb 37 / 73%
51 total votes

secretninja

Sep 2, 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #1 of 48 (2044 views)
Shortcut

Do grades count?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday I climbed my first v8, a longtime (well, summer long anyway) project. This was for me a moment of elation as i had been eyeballing it for several years and I considered it something of a milestone. It got me to thinking. I'm not sure i can really call my self a v8 climber yet after a first ascent. So the question i'm posing here is this: At what point can you start telling people that you climb at a specific grade? I know personally that certain types of route are easier for me than others...I might climb 5.10 on slab but be able to bust up an overhanging 11+/12 with relative ease. Is the first time you send the grade? The tenth? Or is it a percentage? Let me know what you think

Partner camhead

Sep 3, 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #2 of 48 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [secretninja] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, grades totally count!

I mean, you climb v8 and 5.12! You should totally be sponsored, unless you're totally ugly or something.

secretninja

Sep 3, 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #3 of 48 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i think i might have to up my slab skill past 5.10 before i talk to flashed...and then there's the whole ugly thing... *tear*

(This post was edited by secretninja on Sep 3, 2007, 12:21 AM)

coastal_climber

Sep 3, 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #4 of 48 (1991 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to call yourself a V8 boulderer, then I'd think you would have sent more than one problem.

>Cam

ClusterFock

Sep 3, 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #5 of 48 (1989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I voted grades are bogus.
You're in the wrong frame of mind (in my opinion) if you climb for grades.

Grades of course have their value. They help you judge your progress, help you explain a route and hopefully stop peoplef rom jumping on a wall and getting in way over their head.

Let m,e put it this way; your average chick down at the pub won't give a fuck if you can do a 5.13 or what ever. Tongue

Myxomatosis

Sep 3, 2007, 1:13 AM
Post #6 of 48 (1979 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClusterFock] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Grades are only an indication.

I climb alot better than my partner (I have alot more technique and I'm stronger) but we climb around the same grades (5.11a's). He has to push himself alot more and takes him more attempts but can still do the climb.

We both consider myself the better climber and I will usually take the lead Smile

A V8 problem is still a V8 problem at the end of the day. CongratsWink [/;)] I have my eye on leading an extreme overhang 5.10b at my gym, time will tell

notapplicable

Sep 3, 2007, 1:55 AM
Post #7 of 48 (1947 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IMO, you can call yourself a 5.whatever climber if you can consistently climb the grade without a protracted amount of projecting. Now, how much projecting is too much is a bit subjective but if you cannot consistently send in under 12-15 burns you are not climbing at that level, again just my opinion.

I personally find grades useful for being able to focus my efforts on climbs that are at a level I find enjoyable to climb. I prefer to climb around my onsite level, I just enjoy the experience more than projecting a route. Grades have there place but I wouldnt suggest making a grade your goal Just climb the best, most aesthetic routes you can, grades be damn.

flint

Sep 3, 2007, 2:15 AM
Post #8 of 48 (1932 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless you are a top climber, grades are just something you spray to your friends about.

I meet an older hard man in the Red last year. He was responsible for bolting a lot of .12 and .13 in a local sport area.

I meet him while trad climbing at this relatively untrafficed trad wall. He was leading .7's and was having a great time, while also teaching another kid, who looked like he could climb in the .12's on sport. The guy said that the most important part of his day was enjoying himself, and making memories that last. After looking back on that moment, and the 5.whatever we were climbing, I can't believe the knowledge I picked up from a 2 hour conversation from this man.

Anyway, in the grand sceme, grades are good as judging your own ability and defining what is just to hard, that is all. Climbing with your friends, climbing fun routes, and making memories of the times is what counts.

Do this: go to a wall where you know nothing is to far above your head, but maybe has a grade you would not normaly try. Write down the directions, but don't look at the route discriptions, and leave the guide book at home. Just go there and climb what looks good. I promise a good time and you might climb harded by not limiting yourself.

Bee3

Sep 3, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #9 of 48 (1905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with the above mentality. I'm into climbing for the aesthetics and the pucker factor of climbing. The grades give me something to gauge my fitness but it doesn't really mean much to other people.

I personally find a smooth 5.8 or 9 in a beautiful and quiet area to be more fulfilling than a 5.11 in an over-populated area with a loud audience.

coastal_climber

Sep 3, 2007, 5:03 AM
Post #10 of 48 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Bee3] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people climb for gradesFrown and some people climb for the experienceSmile

There were some kids at the gym where I work, they started climbing, enjoying themselves, then they started to get good, soon they were climbing high grades, then they started bashing other climbers and the routes they made/were working on.

No one climbs with these guys anymore, and they hardly ever come to the gym either.

I would recommend having your technical skills and climbing skills at about the same level, this makes for good all-around climbing.

Cheers,
>Cam

flint

Sep 3, 2007, 5:26 AM
Post #11 of 48 (1831 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:

I would recommend having your asshole skills lower than your climbing skills, this makes for good all-around climbing.

Cheers,
>Cam

Just had to fix that for you.

jaybro

Sep 3, 2007, 5:30 AM
Post #12 of 48 (1829 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If it were only that simple.

coastal_climber

Sep 3, 2007, 5:44 AM
Post #13 of 48 (1826 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:

I would recommend having your asshole skills lower than your climbing skills, this makes for good all-around climbing.

Cheers,
>Cam

Just had to fix that for you.

That would fit well with my recommendations. Thanks.

>Cam

climbsomething

Sep 3, 2007, 5:48 AM
Post #14 of 48 (1824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:

I would recommend having your technical skills and climbing skills at about the same level, this makes for good all-around climbing.
What?

Can you explain the difference between technical and "climbing" skills? Because I don't get it.

Where I come from, if you climb, say, 5.11, you're climbing harder than 5.6- Thus, somebody might say you have more "climbing skill" than the 5.6 guy*. And 5.11 tends to be more technical than 5.6- trickier gear, trickier stances, tricker foot placement and body english- Ergo, if you're proficient at 5.11, then you probably have more "technical" skill than that 5.6 dude.

*But then, a 5.11 gym climber can have sloppy footwork and just campus shit while not even knowing how to clip, while an old codger who can't climb 5.11 can make a 5.6 hand crack look like poetry in motion. So clearly one has more skill than the other. Enter the same tried debate as to which guy that is... which will typically include the "grades don't matter" line...

...which will then drift into quoting Lowe, which will then drift into discussing the merits of slippers versus lace-ups, then the demons of gym climbers, global warming, Libertarians, Hummers and Majid...

YAY RC.COM! Pirate

Back to your previously scheduled "zomg grades suck/rule/rule at sucking" chatter...

hopperhopper

Sep 3, 2007, 6:23 AM
Post #15 of 48 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing a grade i've never done before gives me a great sense of accomplishment and adds to the experience...plus it's a good way to help me push myself beyond what i think i can achieve. i think grades do matter to a certain extent, but i also believe someone should avoid climbing JUST to improve what grade they can send.

to answer the poll question, i'd agree with notapplicable. if you can't send grades consistently without trying more than 10 or so times, i think it would be a misjudgement to call yourself an x-grade climber.

when the chalk settles, it's how much you enjoyed climbing that matters.

billcoe_

Sep 3, 2007, 3:26 PM
Post #16 of 48 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

secretninja wrote:
Do grades count?

No, people do.

mturner

Sep 3, 2007, 3:48 PM
Post #17 of 48 (1675 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all, this is really two questions and should be broken up into to forums. Do grades count? and At what point can you call yourself a Vx or 5.x climber?

I won't answer the first question because it is so overdone on this site.

For the second question, I have heard a few things. I have heard from "pro" climbers that it's 5 routes/problems before you can call yourself that. In my personal experience, if I do about 10 of a certain grade, I can usually start projecting a grade higher (boulder grades that is). I however, would never dream of calling myself (even to myself) a Vx climber if I had only done one problem at that grade, but a good milestone nonetheless. Also, I disagree with some other claims that it matters how many attempts before sending. Some of the hardest routes/problems ever climbed were projected for years/months. It shouldn't make a difference unless you're talking strickly about something like onsight level.

flint wrote:
Unless you are a top climber, grades are just something you spray to your friends about.

And if you're a top climber they're not? Crazy Some of the top climbers are the biggest sprayers out there!

coastal_climber

Sep 3, 2007, 4:21 PM
Post #18 of 48 (1656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

By technical I mean gear placements/anchor building etc. Climbing skills being grades.

I know someone that's climbing 12b and he doesn't know how to tie a clove hitch. Go figure.

>Cam

mturner

Sep 3, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #19 of 48 (1618 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
By technical I mean gear placements/anchor building etc. Climbing skills being grades.

I know someone that's climbing 12b and he doesn't know how to tie a clove hitch. Go figure.

>Cam

Not a be a jerk about it but "technical" is not typically uderstood as having anything to do gear placement. Thanks for the clarification nonetheless.

(This post was edited by mturner on Sep 3, 2007, 5:42 PM)

bkalaska

Sep 3, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #20 of 48 (1601 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do grades count? It sounds like they do to you, and that is what should matter to you.

When can you call yourself a 5.blank climber. I'd say when you can onsight a grade with some consistency. That just comes from my personal love of getting out on fresh rock and challenging my mind and body.

matterunomama

Sep 3, 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #21 of 48 (1582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bkalaska] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This became a minor issue in terms of an Adult Climbing League at my gym. For purposes of handicapping, team members had to declare their grade (so that a 5.7 climber couls have as much fun/be as valuable to their team as a 5.12 climber). The problem is that a few people, either out of modesty or gaming the system, are rated too low and are subsequently gaining points way out of proportion to the norm. I have not seen anywhere an objective system, as exists in golfing and bowling, to handicap climbers so that those of dissrent abilities can climb together. I took it to mean "the grade that you can usually climb either immediately or after a few tries" as my grade...its not for bragging rights, its to give people an ideas what they can expect from you.--and to have a sense of improvement.

mturner

Sep 3, 2007, 7:16 PM
Post #22 of 48 (1577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bkalaska] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bkalaska wrote:
When can you call yourself a 5.blank climber. I'd say when you can onsight a grade with some consistency. That just comes from my personal love of getting out on fresh rock and challenging my mind and body.

I realize that's a personal opinion based on your own experience so I'm not going to attack you, but I respectfully disagree. We have to look no further then the handful of 5.14 climbers out there to see the problem with this argument. Most, if not all of them, project these problems and do not onsite at that grade. Are you saying you wouldn't be able to call them 5.14 climbers? If so, fine, but I think it's generally accepted to call this elite group 5.14 climbers.

a.frosch

Sep 3, 2007, 8:48 PM
Post #23 of 48 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've talked to some high-level climbers about this very issue, and a couple of them thought that to say I'm a 5.blank climber means you can onsight that grade, anywhere on any type of rock, trad or sport. Thus, I call myself a 5.4 climber even though I'm comfortable leading 5.8 trad and can usually follow .10. This is because I refuse to lead some runout 5.5 friction climbs.

I'm not saying that's the way it should be defined, but that's the way some people do it.

billcoe_

Sep 3, 2007, 10:02 PM
Post #24 of 48 (1526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

matterunomama wrote:
This became a minor issue in terms of an Adult Climbing League at my gym. For purposes of handicapping, team members had to declare their grade (so that a 5.7 climber couls have as much fun/be as valuable to their team as a 5.12 climber). The problem is that a few people, either out of modesty or gaming the system, are rated too low and are subsequently gaining points way out of proportion to the norm. I have not seen anywhere an objective system, as exists in golfing and bowling, to handicap climbers so that those of dissrent abilities can climb together. I took it to mean "the grade that you can usually climb either immediately or after a few tries" as my grade...its not for bragging rights, its to give people an ideas what they can expect from you.--and to have a sense of improvement.

HAHAHAHA Sure thing. "Climbing League's". Ha ha! Whatever.

Holy crap, now I get it. This MUST be why Tommy Caldwell sawed his finger off.

To handicap himself for bowling..errr, climbing league.
Do you all wear the same colored pretty pink or blue shirts?

Climbing leagues?

zeke_sf

Sep 3, 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #25 of 48 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Do grades count? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All I know is watching a groups' "strong" 5.12 climbing leader (in the gym) drop gear and hang on a 5.8 at the local trad crag is highly satisfying. YMMV.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook