Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

noell

Oct 3, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #1 of 20 (4978 views)
Shortcut

RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin??  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Let's post up and see who's headed to the Red for Roctrip!!!

Who's staying the week? Who's gonna watch super strong climbers flash 5.13 and probably 5.14 climbs??

With the likes of Chris Sharma, Katie Brown, Lynn Hill, David Graham, Emily Harrington, Lisa Rands, Joe Kinder, Chris Linder, Dani Andrada, Steve McClure, Tony Lamiche, Said Belhaj, and many strong others...

A party!
Flash Comp!
Clinics for everybody!

And of course getting seriously Pumped climbing at the Red!

I am going to be there for an extended weekend, Thurs-Sunday.

And hey!! If you haven't yet, don't forget to register!!!

http://www.rrgcc.org/roctrip_main.php

mr.rock

Oct 3, 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #2 of 20 (4969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noell] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i wanted to go so bad but ive decided to go to hp40 instead

(This post was edited by mr.rock on Oct 3, 2007, 7:42 PM)

noell

Oct 3, 2007, 8:39 PM
Post #3 of 20 (4955 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr.rock] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry you can't make it! It's gonna be awesome - I can't wait! HP40 is cool, too though (maybe I'll make it down there this winter).

Where are people gonna stay? What are your climbing plans or are you just gonna watch the flash comp?

As for me, staying at Lago Linda's, and being a big ole spectator on Saturday, climbing every other day that I can! Wink

CinnamonJohnson

Oct 3, 2007, 9:16 PM
Post #4 of 20 (4942 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The details seem kinda vague. What time is the flash comp? Is all of it at the Motherlode?

Is there going to be a shuttle taking people down the hill, bc it seems like there wouldnt be enough space to park for tons of people... You dont need to register or pay to see the flash comp- correct?

noell

Oct 3, 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #5 of 20 (4917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CinnamonJohnson] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CinnamonJohnson wrote:
The details seem kinda vague. What time is the flash comp? Is all of it at the Motherlode?

Is there going to be a shuttle taking people down the hill, bc it seems like there wouldnt be enough space to park for tons of people... You dont need to register or pay to see the flash comp- correct?

Flash comp is at the Lode, on Saturday. I'd say, get there early!

CARPOOL! We have secured extra parking, and the lots that we use for Driveby/Bob Marley will also be open of course and people can walk from there. We have overflow parking of course, and there will be volunteers all around directing people.

But CARPOOL as much as you can!!!

You do not need to register just to go and watch the flash comp. However, if you want a chance at food on Saturday night, REGISTER! It also gives us a good idea of how many people plan to be there.

Register, CinnamonJohnson!

noell

Oct 4, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #6 of 20 (4909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bump-

A schedule of events will be available soon and I will post a link. Smile

phlsphr

Oct 4, 2007, 5:17 PM
Post #7 of 20 (4881 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm goin! The schedule would be really helpful. All I know is that last year at the rocktoberfest I just showed up at Linda's and there were plenty of available spots. This year, she is already putting folks out in the field. It's going to be a zoo! But also a blast.

There was also a thread started over here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...;;page=unread#unread

and another one here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ing=roctrip;#1551173

CinnamonJohnson

Oct 4, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #8 of 20 (4866 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Noell,

It sounds like a pretty badass event. Cinnamon might have to make the trip up there.

Are you gonna stomp Dani out at the comp?

Science Bless,

Cinnamon

noell

Oct 5, 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #9 of 20 (4825 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CinnamonJohnson] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course I am! Wink

SCHEDULE:
Thursday 7pm Clinic Sign in at Red River Outdoors
-please park at rest area

Friday 8am Clinic Sign in at Red River Outdoors

10-3 Clinics!

9pm KING LINES at Red River Outdoors
Prior to show Chris Sharma will be signing posters and DVDs

Saturday 8-10am Flash Rally Check in at Red River Outdoors - park at rest area

10:30 - 4:30 FLASH COMP at Motherlode
VERY limited parking in the Southern Region so please Carpool!!!

5pm Party begins at Red River Outdoors -please park at rest area

Party Schedule:
5pm RRGCC's fav Blue Grass band
Silent Auction

6pm Dinner (Must preregister!!!)
7:30 Silent Auction winners!
8pm Odub and O'Neill
9pm Sagagnass Sound Systems
11:30 Munchies!

- The rest area is located off of the Burt Combs Mountain parkway. Once this lot is full, we will direct you to overflow parking. Please be quiet when walking to venue, people do live here!

Jbitz

Oct 6, 2007, 1:48 AM
Post #10 of 20 (4787 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a little more detailed schedule of events to add to Noell's post.

EVENT SCHEDULE

Thursday:
7:00 p.m.
Clinic participant sign-in at Red River Outdoors
*please park at rest area and follow signs
Friday:
8:00 a.m.
Clinic participant sign-in at Red River Outdoors
10:00 - 3:00 p.m.
All clinics at designated venue:
• Women’s traditional climbing with Lynn Hill and Katie Brown
• Mens traditional climbing with Cedar Wright and Jean-Pierre “Peewee” Ouellet
• Women’s intermediate sport climbing with Alli Rainey
• Mens intermediate sport climbing with Kevin Wilkinson
• Climbing 101 with Chris Lindner and Lev Pinter
• Warrior’s Way with Arno Ilgner
• Petzl’s Belay Tech at Torrent Falls
9:00 p.m.
King Lines begins at Red River Outdoors
Prior to show:
* Arrive early! Chris Sharma will be signing posters and DVD’s.
*Ticket holder raffle (buy your ticket on www.rrgcc.org!)
After the show, question and answer with Sharma!
Saturday:
8:00 - 10:00 a.m.
Flash Rally Check in at Red River Outdoors
10:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Flash Rally at The Mother Lode
*There is
VERY limited parking in the Southern Region.
PLEASE CAR POOL!!
5:00 p.m.
The party begins @ Red River Outdoors
5:00 p.m.
• The RRGCC’s favorite Blue Grass band jams!
• Silent Auction opens
6:00 p.m.
Dinner is served
*Food is provided by Bourbon ‘n Toulouse in Lexington
*You MUST preregister to assure yourself food!
7:30 p.m.
Silent auction closes and winners announced
8:00 p.m.
The big “O’s” of rockclimbing hit the stage.
Odub and O’Neill join forces for a humorous lyrical show!
9:00 p.m.
Sagagnass Sound Systems first appearance in the Southeast
11:30 p.m.
You got the munchies? Were serving snacks!

phlsphr

Oct 7, 2007, 6:39 PM
Post #11 of 20 (4739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jbitz] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After looking at the schedule I have a few more Roctrip questions:

1. Is the Petzl belay clinic at the same time as the other clinics (as it seems to be on the schedule just posted) or is it afterwards at 4? If the later, how late will it run? What the heck is this thing anyhow?

2. Do you need to sign up for that?

3. What equipment should we bring to the clinics? I'm assuming just shoes, harness, chalk bag and belay device and leave rope, draws and rack behind. Right?

4. I'm trying to plan meals. If we signed up for the whole package, w/ clinic that will take care of lunch Friday, dinner Saturday, and breakfast Sunday--right? There are no details re the breakfast on the schedule. When and where is it? Giving the parking logistics, I'm wondering if it might be smarter (and tastier) to eat at Linda's.

5. I want to see the studs climb at the Lode, but maybe not all day. I also want to get some climbing in myself. I'm driving down in a small car and staying at Linda's. Are there any plans to have shuttles? Do you think that it will be pretty easy to catch rides back and forth even in the middle of the day? Will the better spectating likely be in the morning or afternoon. Or, is the thought of trying to get in or out of there in early afternoon just crazy talk?

Thanks. Just a few more days! I'm fired up. (I also posted these questions earlier over on Red River Climbing--wherever I get an answer first I'll copy it to the other place).

Jbitz

Oct 8, 2007, 1:46 AM
Post #12 of 20 (4715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phlsphr] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Please register ahead of time if you plan on attending. This will help in organization of the festival.
http://rrgcc.org/roctrip_reg.php

In reply to:

I'm not affiliated with the organization of the ROCtrip, but I can tell you what has been either communicated to me or from the website itself.

• Red River Outdoors will be the central location for most of the happenings.

• The primary parking area is the Rest Area parking lot located right off of the Burt Combs Mountain Parkway. Once this lot is full, you will be directed to overflow parking.

In reply to:
1. Is the Petzl belay clinic at the same time as the other clinics (as it seems to be on the schedule just posted) or is it afterwards at 4? If the later, how late will it run? What the heck is this thing anyhow?

That clinic is scheduled to start around 4 in the Torrent Falls area and is currently FULL. It is meant to make you better aware of your belay technique and give you some pointers.

In reply to:

Check the registration form for what is available as this is updated frequently. Send them an email and maybe you can get on a waiting list. Slots could open up.
roctripclinics@rrgcc.org.

In reply to:
3. What equipment should we bring to the clinics? I'm assuming just shoes, harness, chalk bag and belay device and leave rope, draws and rack behind. Right?

Depends on the clinic you sign up for. I would bring the gear related to the clinic. It's always good to become more proficient with your own equipment. Clinic Check-in is at Red River Outdoors Thursday at 7pm and 8am on Friday.

In reply to:
4. I'm trying to plan meals. If we signed up for the whole package, w/ clinic that will take care of lunch Friday, dinner Saturday, and breakfast Sunday--right? There are no details re the breakfast on the schedule. When and where is it? Giving the parking logistics, I'm wondering if it might be smarter (and tastier) to eat at Linda's.

Breakfast is at Red River Outdoors. I don't know the exact times it will be served. These are included in the package as stated on the registration form.

In reply to:
5. I want to see the studs climb at the Lode, but maybe not all day. I also want to get some climbing in myself. I'm driving down in a small car and staying at Linda's. Are there any plans to have shuttles? Do you think that it will be pretty easy to catch rides back and forth even in the middle of the day? Will the better spectating likely be in the morning or afternoon. Or, is the thought of trying to get in or out of there in early afternoon just crazy talk?

The comp is scheduled to start around 1030.

In reply to:
Thanks. Just a few more days! I'm fired up. (I also posted these questions earlier over on Red River Climbing--wherever I get an answer first I'll copy it to the other place).

noell

Oct 8, 2007, 2:55 AM
Post #13 of 20 (4693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The festivities are about to begin!!! Smile

Belay clinic w/Petzl- This thing sounds awesome! Basically, from what I've heard at the RRGCC meeting at Torrent, is that Petzl is testing to see how dynamic you make your belays, and you won't be catching actual people, but a haul bag of sorts with sand (I believe) and it'll measure the force of the catch on the climber. Pretty cool!

Linda's- She mentioned this weekend that she plans to have a pancake breakfast Saturday (and we told her to have it EARLY!) and perhaps another breakfast on Sunday. I wouldn't plan on it, but she may hook ya up.

Shuttles-There will be people coming and going all day I am pretty sure but there are not any shuttles scheduled for a particular time coming from Linda's or Miguels to the Southern Region, as far as I know right now. CARPOOL and CARPOOL some more!

I don't know that there's be a better time to watch the flash comp during the day - just come when you want to check out what's happening! I am sure these strong guys will make an impression! Rumor has it a few were warming up to the Red just this past weekend, getting ready for the pump fest! Wink

It's gonna be awesome!!!

phlsphr

Oct 8, 2007, 4:02 AM
Post #14 of 20 (4686 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Jbitz] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jbitz wrote:
Please register ahead of time if you plan on attending. This will help in organization of the festival.
http://rrgcc.org/roctrip_reg.php

In reply to:

I'm not affiliated with the organization of the ROCtrip, but I can tell you what has been either communicated to me or from the website itself.

• Red River Outdoors will be the central location for most of the happenings.

• The primary parking area is the Rest Area parking lot located right off of the Burt Combs Mountain Parkway. Once this lot is full, you will be directed to overflow parking.

In reply to:

That clinic is scheduled to start around 4 in the Torrent Falls area and is currently FULL. It is meant to make you better aware of your belay technique and give you some pointers.

In reply to:

Check the registration form for what is available as this is updated frequently. Send them an email and maybe you can get on a waiting list. Slots could open up.
roctripclinics@rrgcc.org.

In reply to:

Depends on the clinic you sign up for. I would bring the gear related to the clinic. It's always good to become more proficient with your own equipment. Clinic Check-in is at Red River Outdoors Thursday at 7pm and 8am on Friday.

In reply to:

Breakfast is at Red River Outdoors. I don't know the exact times it will be served. These are included in the package as stated on the registration form.

In reply to:

The comp is scheduled to start around 1030.

In reply to:

Thanks for responding. I've been following what has been posted on the site pretty closely hoping more information would be forthcoming. That's disappointing if you are right about the belay clinic.The instructions said that you may only register for one clinic. I registered for the "whole package" and I signed up for the trad clinic. But the belay clinic was listed as "suggested for everyone", so I had no idea you needed to register for that one. I assumed people would just show up, form a line, and belay. I know that the clinic is listed at 4 on the website--however, the schedule still shows it as being at the same time as the other clinics (between 10 and 3).

Hopefully there is some sort of shuttle plan for getting the crowds into and out of the Mother Load. I see a real potential clusterf*ck in the parking situation down there on Saturday. Anyhow, It would be great to have more information than what is currently listed, but we can just wing it when we get down there.

Jbitz

Oct 8, 2007, 9:54 AM
Post #15 of 20 (4671 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was under the same impression about the belay clinic that it was free and starting after the other clinics. Now they have it as full and crossed off. Crazy Also, I didn't notice that there was conflicting information on that one. So, now I'm not really sure what the story is with that.

I too signed up for the Men's Trad clinic and the package. I was thinking on attending the belay clinic if I had time afterwards. If you find out anything different on the belay clinic let me know?

See you there!

Jeff

Jbitz

Oct 9, 2007, 4:13 PM
Post #16 of 20 (4616 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I inquired about the details of the belay clinic. So, here is some more information on that.

In reply to:
Sadly, those clinics are scheduled at the same time right now. The belay clinic was added a bit after the others so that's probably what's led to the misunderstandings. It is free, and has a limit of 25 people, but it's not a how to belay clinic. From what I understand it's more of a demonstration of the forces in each component of the system, and of techniques on how to provide a soft catch. "

wzrdgandalf

Oct 9, 2007, 4:20 PM
Post #17 of 20 (4610 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone know when the mutants will be trying for the FA on the "ultimate route"? Im coming up with a new climber and I have never actually been to the Red so im hoping for the kindness of strangers for beta and direction.

phlsphr

Oct 9, 2007, 5:31 PM
Post #18 of 20 (4596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wzrdgandalf] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wzrdgandalf wrote:
Does anyone know when the mutants will be trying for the FA on the "ultimate route"? Im coming up with a new climber and I have never actually been to the Red so im hoping for the kindness of strangers for beta and direction.

They'll be climbing at what is known as the Motherload. When you get there you'll find lots of friendly folks with directions and information. You might want to get the new guidebook, just out. I'm guessing that will be available down there too.

noell

Oct 9, 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #19 of 20 (4575 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wzrdgandalf] RRG - Roctoberfest and Roctrip, who's goin?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wzrdgandalf wrote:

I'd head to the Lode to watch the flash comp for sure but to answer your question:

There is a bounty on several routes outside of the Lode, so the climbers can go and try to get a FA on one of those. They can do that anytime this week, the day of the flash comp all the action will be in the Lode.

One route I know of w/a bounty- 50 Words for Pump at Bob Marley has not been sent yet. With temps in the 80-90 range at the Red this past week, who knows if anyone got on it... but the temps are aheadin' down and perhaps this test peice will go down too!

phlsphr

Oct 10, 2007, 3:47 AM
Post #20 of 20 (4549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

noell wrote:
wzrdgandalf wrote:

I'd head to the Lode to watch the flash comp for sure but to answer your question:

There is a bounty on several routes outside of the Lode, so the climbers can go and try to get a FA on one of those. They can do that anytime this week, the day of the flash comp all the action will be in the Lode.

One route I know of w/a bounty- 50 Words for Pump at Bob Marley has not been sent yet. With temps in the 80-90 range at the Red this past week, who knows if anyone got on it... but the temps are aheadin' down and perhaps this test peice will go down too!

According to www.8a.nu tomorrow Petzl athletes will be selecting two projects (out of 8 possibilities) that will be designated as "the ultimate routes". Petzl will donate $1000 for each of these two that gets sent. So I guess at this point no one knows which of the possible project routes will be the "ultimate" ones.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook