Forums: Community: Campground:
The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 8:31 PM
Post #451 of 615 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
Do the Pats have room in their cap to sign him? For some reason I thought they couldn't afford to resign him. Anywho, other than the fact that he operates in a world where there is no offensive pass interference, I think Randy Moss one of the only universally likeable players on the Patriots. Moreover, Welker, Stallworth and Watson are not top receivers (without Brady anyway). I don't think any of those guys are in the same league as Randy Moss. It does seem to me that he is turning into a Deion Sanders/Soldier of Fortune.

I know you are loathe to admit ANYTHING positive about the Pats, but one thing pretty much no one argues is their cap management. They do it better than ANY team ever has since the cap was introduced. I have no doubt that is they want him, they could sign him. For starters, I'd bet you Brady would restructure again to keep Moss, if he was asked. He's already done it several times to help keep guys he wanted.

And I believe Moss was called for an OPI penalty yesterday, wasn't he?

true, I will agree that the Pats are one of the three best salary cap managing teams in the league, if not the best.

however, sometimes that means letting good players go if they demand too much or aren't worth it.

The pats have let some very good players go in the past and it's always worked out for them. A couple seasons ago they let Lawyer Malloy go and there was a big flap about it.

However, the pats have been able to appease the fans... by continuing to win! The other path is to do what the 49ers of old did, keep players around a few years past their prime and get worse...

jgloporto

Nov 5, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #452 of 615 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:

Pats fan or not, you have to admit Moss pushes off of who ever is covering him pretty much every time he runs a route. He's been doing it since he had Cunningham pitching. It's kind of like how nobody called travelling on Michael Jordan. Ironically, the one time he got called for it yesterday was I think the one play all game where he didn't commit a foul. I suspect it was a makeup call of sorts... he barely touched the DB.

You might want to look into that cap thing. I don't think the Pats are in trouble but I remember reading that some kind of cap issue would more likely than not prevent them from signing Moss. Moreover, you guys are getting the niners pick and they are doing a pretty good job of making it a valuable one for you guys. If the Pats are getting a third or fourth pick in the first round, you can pretty much forget them signing Moss to a new contract. I wouldn't. He came in in '99 right? So he's what 30 or 31? I'd guess he is at or close to his peak. Why buy a depreciating asset if you are picking high in the first round?

(This post was edited by jgloporto on Nov 5, 2007, 8:44 PM)

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 8:46 PM
Post #453 of 615 (1454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
wideguy wrote:

Pats fan or not, you have to admit Moss pushes off of who ever is covering him pretty much every time he runs a route. He's been doing it since he had Cunningham pitching. It's kind of like how nobody called travelling on Michael Jordan. Ironically, the one time he got called for it yesterday was I think the one play all game where he didn't commit a foul. I suspect it was a makeup call of sorts... he barely touched the DB.

You might want to look into that cap thing. I don't think the Pats are in trouble but I remember reading that some kind of cap issue would more likely than not prevent them from signing Moss. Moreover, you guys are getting the niners pick and they are doing a pretty good job of making it a valuable one for you guys. If the Pats are getting a third or fourth pick in the first round, you can pretty much forget them signing Moss to a new contract. I wouldn't. He came in in '99 right? So he's what 30 or 31? I'd guess he is at or close to his peak. Why buy a depreciating asset if you are picking high in the first round?

Urgh. Thanks for bringing that up. I can't remember who the 9'ers got for giving up that pick, but it was a real bonehead move. Especially now in hindsight that the niners are extra sucky.

Shit, we lost to the falcons!! Crazy

HEL 1S LNGER 4 9URS F4NZ!!

Partner wideguy

Nov 5, 2007, 8:51 PM
Post #454 of 615 (1454 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, I'm not speculating either way. Like I said several posts ago, I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut loose after this year.

But maybe Randy really has turned a page in his maturity, maybe he likes the team, the system and the town. Maybe he doesn't command absolute top dollar in exchange for the chance to stay with a winning team.

All I said was if the Patriots decide they want to keep him, after they consider all those factors, then I think they could find a way.

That way would probably be in the form of a MASSIVE new contract for Brady. A new 10 year deal could drop Brady's 2008 cap hit from $14 million down to 3 or 4. But Moss or no, the Pats are going to have to do something like that anyway.

redpointron

Nov 5, 2007, 8:55 PM
Post #455 of 615 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
But from a Pat's fan perspective, it's equally class-less to come out and blame the absence of one player and try to take credit away from the winning team as well. After all, last I checked it Harrison doesn't play defense, and it wasn't Indy's offense that the Pats scored TD's against twice in the final 9 minutes.

You want respect, you have to gie it in equal measure. Indy played a great game. They controlled pretty much 40 minutes of it. But they were outplayed for about 20 minutes. 20 pretty important minutes.

who blamed it on harrison being gone?

and who didn't give respect?

didn't see this.

Partner wideguy

Nov 5, 2007, 8:59 PM
Post #456 of 615 (1445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpointron] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Manning said it post game yesterday.

Reno echoed it in his first post in this thread today.

Edit: my bad, it was Dungy. When asked about the game plan for closing out the game he mentioned it would have been different if they had Harrison. To his credit, he didn't lean on it hard, and he followed it up by acknowledging that the Pats were also missing some key players. But up here in Boston, all the Colts fans that are calling are claiming it was THE deciding factor in the game.

(This post was edited by wideguy on Nov 5, 2007, 9:05 PM)

jgloporto

Nov 5, 2007, 8:59 PM
Post #457 of 615 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wideguy wrote:

Urgh. Thanks for bringing that up. I can't remember who the 9'ers got for giving up that pick, but it was a real bonehead move. Especially now in hindsight that the niners are extra sucky.

Hell is longer for you guys... wtf? How many games have you guys had this year with more than 10 points of offense? And all that suckiness inures to the benefit of the New England Patriots??? You should jump on the Patriots hating wagon with me.

Has anybody noticed that the Titans are 6-2? I personally think that after last seasons performance, nobody out there is willing to take these guys seriously yet they are quitely and steadily creeping into the post season.

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 9:03 PM
Post #458 of 615 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wideguy wrote:

Hell is longer for you guys... wtf? How many games have you guys had this year with more than 10 points of offense? And all that suckiness inures to the benefit of the New England Patriots??? You should jump on the Patriots hating wagon with me.

Has anybody noticed that the Titans are 6-2? I personally think that after last seasons performance, nobody out there is willing to take these guys seriously yet they are quitely and steadily creeping into the post season.

We have the worst offense in the league, bar none. fewest points, and I'm not sure we have even broken 200 yards of total offense in ANY game this year, no shit.

We've got a rookie O Coordinator, who is sure to be fired. Our coach, who was in great shape at the beginning of the season, his chances are beginning to look rocky.

Our 3rd year QB was taken #1 in the draft, paid a buttload of $, and has produced 0. People keep saying give the kid a chance, but shit, it's year 3. He has to start showing SOMETHING.

I dont' blame the pats for our woes though, they are entirely self inflicted.

redpointron

Nov 5, 2007, 9:06 PM
Post #459 of 615 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
Manning said it post game yesterday.

Reno echoed it in his first post in this thread today.

i didn't see anything on the news last night. put the kids to bed.

haven't seen anything today on the t.v. today. already had two little fires and i am sitting at the computer writing the reports.

and even though i totally love him (in a brother like way), i NEVER listen to jeff.Crazy

marvin would've been great. could've made the difference. sure. but the colts (to a man) will tell you...
the expectation is for the postion, not the person

somebody needed to fill that slot. didn't happen. i love my team

jgloporto

Nov 5, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #460 of 615 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wideguy wrote:

We have the worst offense in the league, bar none. fewest points, and I'm not sure we have even broken 200 yards of total offense in ANY game this year, no shit.

We've got a rookie O Coordinator, who is sure to be fired. Our coach, who was in great shape at the beginning of the season, his chances are beginning to look rocky.

Our 3rd year QB was taken #1 in the draft, paid a buttload of $, and has produced 0. People keep saying give the kid a chance, but shit, it's year 3. He has to start showing SOMETHING.

Not saying you should blame the Pats, but it sucks that the No 1 team in the NFL is the unintended beneficiary of the 9ers woes. Normally you can at least take comfort in the fact that a shitty season means some top rank new talent in the draft...

Oh well... for what it's worth I think the Jets are actually the worst team in the NFL with a tie going to the 9ers and the Dolphins for second place.

The Giants on the other hand will probably inch their way into the post season, blow it in the first round and end up grabbing a kicker in the draft.

Partner wideguy

Nov 5, 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #461 of 615 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
The Giants on the other hand will probably inch their way into the post season, blow it in the first round and end up grabbing a kicker in the draft.

Now THAT is funny!

Funnier because I'm not a giants fan, I suspect.

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #462 of 615 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wideguy wrote:

Not saying you should blame the Pats, but it sucks that the No 1 team in the NFL is the unintended beneficiary of the 9ers woes. Normally you can at least take comfort in the fact that a shitty season means some top rank new talent in the draft...

Oh well... for what it's worth I think the Jets are actually the worst team in the NFL with a tie going to the 9ers and the Dolphins for second place.

I think the Rams might be the worst!

jakedatc

Nov 5, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #463 of 615 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I said the whinning part because thats all i heard for 2 weeks about how the pats are running the score up on people and how butt hurt everyone is. not saying Indy would but fans etc would.

In reply to:
outside of addai and moss, nobody on either offense had a day to write home about.

I think Welker was solid again.. not like off the charts but made some key plays. that guy who was making matt Light look bad had brady running around had a good game too.

redpointron

Nov 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #464 of 615 (1414 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
I said the whinning part because thats all i heard for 2 weeks about how the pats are running the score up on people and how butt hurt everyone is. not saying Indy would but fans etc would.

In reply to:
outside of addai and moss, nobody on either offense had a day to write home about.

I think Welker was solid again.. not like off the charts but made some key plays. that guy who was making matt Light look bad had brady running around had a good game too.

yeah. it's tough to appreciate ALL the performances when you are at the game (and without the benefit of replay).

clark made a big 3 and 15 catch. but hands down addai and moss were on their game.

mturner

Nov 5, 2007, 11:07 PM
Post #465 of 615 (1410 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Chiming in late but here goes:

Running up the score Jake? Yeah, they didn't do it cause they got their asses handed to them for 3 quarters for the first time this season and you can't risk running up the score with a one possession lead. Don't think for a second though that they wouldn't have if they were up big already.

And props to the Pats...so typical, fourth quarter comeback and all. But the Harrison excuse (yes I'll admit it's an excuse) is still worth discussing, at least for us fans. Harrison doesn't play defense but they probably could have used him on the drives that the Pats held them to no points in the 4th quarter. I personally would have rather seen Harrison play and they still lose and KNOW the Pats are the better team than have him not play, that goes for any other injured player on either team as well. And I bet all you Pats fans would like the right to say you beat the Colts at their best.

Can somebody please fill me in as to what the speculation with the fan noise in the background is? Are we talking about cheating again or was some fan just being obnoxious? I don't get it.

Thoughts on Randy Moss - I'm gonna go with the speculation that it will be the Shaq effect. Yes Shaq. If they win it all, they find a way to resign him, if they lose, they'll blame him, he'll blame somebody else and will be shipped off to another team. That was a Laker reference by the way. And yes I agree with jploporto, he pushes off a ton including on his TD yesterday, but didn't when it actually was called. Some of the interference calls were just wacky though across the board.

And speaking of talented and talkative receivers Chad Johnson took quite a hit yesterday, thought he might be out for the season upon first look. He'll be back maybe for next week, just a strain.

(This post was edited by mturner on Nov 5, 2007, 11:08 PM)

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 11:11 PM
Post #466 of 615 (1406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:

And props to the Pats...so typical, fourth quarter comeback and all. But the Harrison excuse (yes I'll admit it's an excuse) is still worth discussing, at least for us fans. Harrison doesn't play defense but they probably could have used him on the drives that the Pats held them to no points in the 4th quarter. I personally would have rather seen Harrison play and they still lose and KNOW the Pats are the better team than have him not play, that goes for any other injured player on either team as well. And I bet all you Pats fans would like the right to say you beat the Colts at their best.

Oh, it is worth discussing. But I think then you have to discuss other factors as well. Like, the pats played only ok, they were penalized big time, they were down 10 in the 4th quarter on the road...

and they came from behind and won.

In my opinion, if your hopes of winning are dependent on one player, and that player is not your starting quarterback, you've already messed up big time.

redpointron

Nov 5, 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #467 of 615 (1405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Like, the pats played only ok

and the colts played lights out...right?

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #468 of 615 (1404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpointron] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

colts controlled more of the game than the pats did.

But one team played better when it mattered most.

redpointron

Nov 5, 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #469 of 615 (1402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

i asked a question. you didn't answer it.

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 11:21 PM
Post #470 of 615 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

ok then, no. Neither team did. WHich IMO was to be expected when two good teams play.

redpointron

Nov 5, 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #471 of 615 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

ok then, no. Neither team did. WHich IMO was to be expected when two good teams play.

fair enough. i hope to get the chance to play again in january. it will be tough, but i like my teamWink

mturner

Nov 5, 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #472 of 615 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
mturner wrote:

Oh, it is worth discussing. But I think then you have to discuss other factors as well. Like, the pats played only ok, they were penalized big time, they were down 10 in the 4th quarter on the road...

In my opinion, if your hopes of winning are dependent on one player, and that player is not your starting quarterback, you've already messed up big time.

Discussing whether a team played as well as they could have is NOT the same as discussing the effects of an absence of a key player. I'll give you that the Pats had players out too, but to say they didn't play well so that's why they almost lost... Ummm yeah that's kinda the point of playing. You can't really blame your winning or losing on anything but how you played. When I said "at their best" I didn't mean they had to be having their best game, they just had to come prepared and healthy. And the penalties were actually quite limited when you look at the types of in-game penalties. There were actually very few interference calls on either side despite heavy contact offensively and defensively for both teams. Most of the Pats penalties were things like illegal formations, false starts, stuff that my old high school coach would say were "mental" and thus avoidable. As far as the home vs. road thing, I really won't get into that, yes home field advantage is just that, an advantage, but all teams deal with that at some point or another.

(This post was edited by mturner on Nov 5, 2007, 11:28 PM)

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #473 of 615 (1393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
redpointron wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

fair enough. i hope to get the chance to play again in january. it will be tough, but i like my teamWink

Hey, I like your team too! I'm not a Pats fan, but my hat is off to them. I've enjoyed watching them and the Colts both play really good football over the last couple years. Much more fun to watch than mediocre foot ball, or worse yet, bad football. (49'ers.)

I thought it would be a close game, me and a buddy talked about it saturday. I thought it would be the pats by a touchdown or less, but I did think both teams would score more.

I do think they'll play again in the AFC champ game, in foxoboro. Yesterday's game was close enough so that I don't think the Pats are a lock to beat them again, but all things being equal, I don't like a dome team playing outdoors in Massachussets in January.

caughtinside

Nov 5, 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #474 of 615 (1392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] The Official rc.com 2007 NFL Thread (not affiliated with the BET. All rights reserved.) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
mturner wrote:

Discussing whether a team played as well as they could have is NOT the same as discussing the effects of an absence of a key player. I'll give you that the Pats had players out too, but to say they didn't play well so that's why they almost lost... Ummm yeah that's kinda the point of playing. You can't really blame your winning or losing on anything but how you played. When I said "at their best" I didn't mean they had to be having their best game, they just had to come prepared and healthy. And the penalties were actually quite limited when you look at the types of in-game penalties. There were actually very few interference calls on either side despite heavy contact offensively and defensively for both teams. Most of the Pats penalties were things like illegal formations, false starts, stuff that my old high school coach would say were "mental" and thus avoidable. As far as the home vs. road thing, I really won't get into that, yes home field advantage is just that, an advantage, but all teams deal with that at some point or another.

No, I agree with you.

I guess my point, stated hopelessly unclearly, was that you can point to one factor as to why a team won/lost performed/didn't performed, but if you ONLY look at that one factor the analysis will be flawed.

And sure, different factors have different weight. Not having harrison isn't the same as Manning breaking his leg on the first play of the game. Maybe I give different weight to Harrison being out than others do.

mturner

Nov 5, 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #475 of 615 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
mturner wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
mturner wrote:

No, I agree with you.

I guess my point, stated hopelessly unclearly, was that you can point to one factor as to why a team won/lost performed/didn't performed, but if you ONLY look at that one factor the analysis will be flawed.

And sure, different factors have different weight. Not having harrison isn't the same as Manning breaking his leg on the first play of the game. Maybe I give different weight to Harrison being out than others do.

True, and the debate really lies in not knowing (regardless of what you want to believe) how big a factor injured players would have made. Maybe huge, maybe none. Anyhow, it was a great game.

Anybody wanna answer my earlier question on the noise thingy? What was that all about?

First page Previous page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 25 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook