dontfall

Nov 6, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #1 of 30 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Volunteer Firefighter
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone else volunteer?

I joined my local fire company last week. I had my first drill with the company last nite. Met a decent amount of people. It seems they are willing to teach me as long as I'm willing to learn and bust my ass, which is not a problem on my end whatsoever.

I have three more drills to attend and the first drill in December, I am voted in. Thats when I'll be able to start responding. Until then....I'll learn what I can.

I'm very excited about this opportunity to help when the call comes up. I have already explained to my girlfriend and family, if the pager goes off, out the door I am.

The one thing I have noticed is the expression my dad has given over this. He supports it, however, with him being a retired cop out of NYC (25 years), he has lost many friends and I guess with me doing this, he is revisting his worst fear. I have never seen my father so quiet over this-I just tell him I love him and I'm doing it because someone needs my help.

Thanks for listening, I'm just rambling on, just the excitement...

Chris

(This post was edited by dontfall on Nov 6, 2007, 5:10 PM)

jgloporto

Nov 6, 2007, 5:22 PM
Post #2 of 30 (1358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dontfall] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dontfall wrote:
Anyone else volunteer?

I joined my local fire company last week. I had my first drill with the company last nite. Met a decent amount of people. It seems they are willing to teach me as long as I'm willing to learn and bust my ass, which is not a problem on my end whatsoever.

I have three more drills to attend and the first drill in December, I am voted in. Thats when I'll be able to start responding. Until then....I'll learn what I can.

I'm very excited about this opportunity to help when the call comes up. I have already explained to my girlfriend and family, if the pager goes off, out the door I am.

The one thing I have noticed is the expression my dad has given over this. He supports it, however, with him being a retired cop out of NYC (25 years), he has lost many friends and I guess with me doing this, he is revisting his worst fear. I have never seen my father so quiet over this-I just tell him I love him and I'm doing it because someone needs my help.

Chris

A lot of the volunteer guys near me do the volunteer thing and then start acting like they are NYC's Bravest - you know, wearing the tee shirts all of the time, 9/11 stickers all over everything, acting like they are these hardcore firefighter guys... in reality they sell wireless service plans in a Verizon store in the mall.

Don't get me wrong. It's commendable and brave to volutneer and put your neck on the line but these guys get like two calls a week. Do it because you want to do something for your community but don't be one of those douchebags. That's weke sauce.

dontfall

Nov 6, 2007, 5:33 PM
Post #3 of 30 (1350 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
dontfall wrote:
Anyone else volunteer?

Chris

A lot of the volunteer guys near me do the volunteer thing and then start acting like they are NYC's Bravest - you know, wearing the tee shirts all of the time, 9/11 stickers all over everything, acting like they are these hardcore firefighter guys... in reality they sell wireless service plans in a Verizon store in the mall.

Don't get me wrong. It's commendable and brave to volutneer and put your neck on the line but these guys get like two calls a week. Do it because you want to do something for your community but don't be one of those douchebags. That's weke sauce.

Please tell me what is wrong with having 9/11 stickers on your vehicle? Or wearing the t-shirts of your local company? They sell wireless verizon plans, that is there job. Doucebags? At least thy aren't on welfare.

And you say two calls a week. How do you know this? Do you have a scanner? Friends have told me they can have 1 call this week, beginning of the next week they have 5 calls in a day.

Just my .02

Partner epoch

Nov 6, 2007, 5:40 PM
Post #4 of 30 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dontfall wrote:

Please tell me what is wrong with having 9/11 stickers on your vehicle?

However patriotic you feel about it, it's still tacky.

Basically an "Oooh! Look at me." thing. The best firemen that I know are quite humble about thier jobs. Same for police and military types. They don't flaunt it or show an inornate amount of patriotism.

jgloporto

Nov 6, 2007, 5:50 PM
Post #5 of 30 (1342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dontfall wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
dontfall wrote:
Anyone else volunteer?

Chris

Please tell me what is wrong with having 9/11 stickers on your vehicle? Or wearing the t-shirts of your local company? They sell wireless verizon plans, that is there job. Doucebags? At least thy aren't on welfare.

And you say two calls a week. How do you know this? Do you have a scanner? Friends have told me they can have 1 call this week, beginning of the next week they have 5 calls in a day.

Just my .02

I know this because the firehouse is five doors down and everytime they get a call my windows rattle.

Still no comparison to a busy ladder company downtown or Brooklyn getting 5,000 calls a year.

It's honorable, it's worth doing. But I think some guys do it cause they want to tell or show people that they are firefighters.

And these guys have no more connection to 9/11 than anybody else that wasn't involved that day. It's fine to be supportive and to remember the firefighters, rescuers and anybody else that perished that day, it's overdone to walk around like you have some sacred connection to 9/11 cause you ride on a volunteer rig in Jersey or anywhere else for that matter.

petsfed

Nov 6, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #6 of 30 (1328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dontfall wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

Just my .02

One of my best friends worked for a long time in a full time/volunteer blend department. In Lafayette, CO, as it turns out. As he so readily stated, its not the volunteers he hates, its the douchebags who act like being a firefighter somehow turned them into a superhero who deserves respect just for holding down a job. Had a girlfriend who is the daughter of a career firefighter. Same thing there too.

In the end, nobody at the bar gives a damn what you do for a living. The only people who will care are the poor bastards whose house you just put out, or whose kid you just saved.

Not saying you're being stupid or anything, just saying that respect is earned, not given. And if you're a fuckup, being a firefighter just means you're fuckup with a goofy helmet. You still have to be good at what you do to be a hero.

wjca

Nov 6, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #7 of 30 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Its not nearly as douchey as being such a sports fanatic that its "your" team that's going to win it all this year.

"The Yankees rule. We're going to win it all next year and every year after that. I just named my kid A-Rod."

"Fuck you. The Sox rule. We won it all this year. And I named my kid Nomar five years ago."

"The Sox are fags. Now I'm gonna have to give you a beatin'."

We? Who the fuck is "we"? You're a plumber from Long Island and a mason from Southie. Douchebags the lot of them.

imnotclever

Nov 6, 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #8 of 30 (1318 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've thought about it. It be nice to get into, but with my job being 1/2 hour from the station, now is not the time. I think my structural background would help a little, but know at the same time there'd be a lot to learn.

Maybe later...

jgloporto

Nov 6, 2007, 6:32 PM
Post #9 of 30 (1310 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
dontfall wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

Just my .02

One of my best friends worked for a long time in a full time/volunteer blend department. In Lafayette, CO, as it turns out. As he so readily stated, its not the volunteers he hates, its the douchebags who act like being a firefighter somehow turned them into a superhero who deserves respect just for holding down a job. Had a girlfriend who is the daughter of a career firefighter. Same thing there too.

In the end, nobody at the bar gives a damn what you do for a living. The only people who will care are the poor bastards whose house you just put out, or whose kid you just saved.

Not saying you're being stupid or anything, just saying that respect is earned, not given. And if you're a fuckup, being a firefighter just means you're fuckup with a goofy helmet. You still have to be good at what you do to be a hero.

None of this should dissuade the OP from volunteering however. I think this is all just ideas about what the appropriate mindset should be. At the end of the day, it's up to the OP to decide what his motives are.

I think serving as a firefighter in any capacity could be one of the noblest things anyone can do. Joining a volunteer department because you want to run red lights and wear a tee shirt to impress people is not a great motive to do it though.

Oddly, most of the guys that I know that are on the job in NY either as cops or firefighters, if asked, will tell you that they signed up because its one day on three days off and it's 20 and out with a full city pension. Most of the guys that I know that started out as cops were all trying to get into the FDNY because the hours are better. These guys are putting their lives on the line for a paycheck. I know several guys who are cops because there is a five year list for the sanitation department, which believe it or not, is the best civil service job in NYC (higher pay, less regular hours, more overtime, same pension scheme).

microbarn

Nov 6, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #10 of 30 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got paid, but I was a worker for the national park service fire fighting group.

They have two divisions. The hard core guys jump out of airplanes to put out the fire. Then, there were those of us who hiked in and did what little we could. The pay was excellent, but the most I ever saved was another 1/4 acre of land out in Shenendoah from getting slightly charred. The fires I went to were small and would have gone out on their own.

If I would have worked with the park service for more than a summer, I probably would have been shipped out to the west coast where they have real fires that actually cause danger.

gritstoner

Nov 6, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #11 of 30 (1287 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if your gonna do it, do it right.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/...ickshire/7080955.stm

redpointron

Nov 6, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #12 of 30 (1268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

congrats chris on your new found passion. i have much respect for those that volunteer. having been a paid firefighter for 10 years, i have nothing but love for those that do it EXCLUSIVELY for the passion for the profession.

as a father, i understand your father's apprehension. it's natural and may never go away entirely.

a few bits of advice...always wear your seat belt on the rig. it's NOT cool and it takes a bit more effort, but several firefighters are killed each year in MVA responding to or returning from a fire run.

blue lights do NOT make you invincible. slow down responding to the station or the fire ground. your safety and the others on the road are of paramount importance. you can't do anything if you don't make it to the scene.

listen lots. your father can be a great source of info on how to make it on this job. may even help alleviate some of his concerns. you may be inclined to offer your opinion. bite your tongue for a couple years (or longer).

stay safe.

EGH (everyone goes home)

regards.

ron

fmd

Nov 6, 2007, 8:39 PM
Post #13 of 30 (1263 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by fmd [In reply to]
Report this Post

reno

Nov 6, 2007, 8:52 PM
Post #14 of 30 (1256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpointron] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpointron wrote:
a few bits of advice...

always wear your seat belt on the rig.

blue lights do NOT make you invincible.

listen lots.

Sage advice, that. RR just forgot one part:

The paramedic is always right.

Wink

In reply to:
stay safe.

EGH (everyone goes home)

Indeed. Having to go to the funeral of a fellow firefighter, cop, or EMT just sucks.

redpointron

Nov 6, 2007, 9:05 PM
Post #15 of 30 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
redpointron wrote:
a few bits of advice...

always wear your seat belt on the rig.

blue lights do NOT make you invincible.

listen lots.

Sage advice, that. RR just forgot one part:

The paramedic is always right.

Wink

oh yeah, you forgot

lifting assistance MEANS ASSISTANCE

lazy medicsTongue

jgloporto

Nov 6, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #16 of 30 (1237 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fmd] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fmd wrote:

All though the banner outside the fire department says "total runs for 2007 is 5000", this does not show the whole picture. When you have 4-5 EMS and a crew of 116 out of one station, the 13 runs per day isnt really all that much. The smaller area's with the volunteers manning the station are the true hero's.

This is what I'm talking about. No ones questioning the nobility of being a volunteer firefighter. But its not a license to spray about being a hero.

Here's some stats about the NYC fire department:

In 2006:

Total Emergencies: 407,599
Total Alarms: 484,954
Total Fires: 48,519
Total Serious Fires: 3,232
Total Civilian Deaths: 85

On average, 100 of NYC's bravest give their lives every year.

Partner wideguy

Nov 6, 2007, 9:31 PM
Post #17 of 30 (1232 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dontfall, congrats on volunteering. Be safe.

Porto, why the harsh tude, man? Your girl leave you for a fireman once or something?

redpointron

Nov 6, 2007, 9:33 PM
Post #18 of 30 (1229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
fmd wrote:

All though the banner outside the fire department says "total runs for 2007 is 5000", this does not show the whole picture. When you have 4-5 EMS and a crew of 116 out of one station, the 13 runs per day isnt really all that much. The smaller area's with the volunteers manning the station are the true hero's.

This is what I'm talking about. No ones questioning the nobility of being a volunteer firefighter. But its not a license to spray about being a hero.

In 2006:

two things...approximately 100 firefighters die annually nationally in the line of duty. (2001 was obviously way higher with 343 LODD on 9/11)

and...most real heroes don't consider themselves as such. most find the calling noble and honorable. most are proud when they tell others what they do...

same as any other profession..the few bad apples (those that start fires, those that spray, etc.) sully the whole bunch.

jgloporto

Nov 6, 2007, 9:39 PM
Post #19 of 30 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:

Porto, why the harsh tude, man? Your girl leave you for a fireman once or something?

Not harsh at all. I will be the first to stand up and admit that firefighters are the bravest of the lot. Maybe my experience is unique, but I'm new to the burbs and I see these guys who either volunteer firefighters or volunteer "specials" in the local police department and it's pretty clear that they are into this solely to look like they are firefighters.

I have a lot of friends and family on the job in both departments in NY and NJ. I myself started out in law enforcement.

My advice is, do it for the right reasons.

fmd

Nov 6, 2007, 9:42 PM
Post #20 of 30 (1223 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by fmd [In reply to]
Report this Post

jgloporto

Nov 6, 2007, 9:49 PM
Post #21 of 30 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redpointron] Volunteer Firefighter [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

redpointron wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
fmd wrote:

In 2006:

two things...approximately 100 firefighters die annually nationally in the line of duty. (2001 was obviously way higher with 343 LODD on 9/11)

and...most real heroes don't consider themselves as such. most find the calling noble and honorable. most are proud when they tell others what they do...

same as any other profession..the few bad apples (those that start fires, those that spray, etc.) sully the whole bunch.

I can't agree more. To the OP's question, if you are doing it for the right reason, I say congrats on making that decision. The sacrifice that firefighters are called on to make is one that deserves the utmost respect, that includes respect from those in the same uniform.

I think its something that you have to ask yourself, but if you are doing it so you can impress chicks with your newly found hero status, I tend to think thats a disservice to those who put themselves in harms way for others every day.

jgloporto

Nov 6, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #22 of 30 (1216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fmd wrote:
redpointron wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
fmd wrote:

In 2006:

And quite a few of those are MVA's and heart attacks. Not perishing in the fires or by smoke inhalation.

No, in addition to those stats there were 28,836 mva's.

Here's the stats I found:

http://www.fdnewyork.com/fdnystat.asp

fmd

Nov 6, 2007, 9:52 PM
Post #23 of 30 (1215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
wideguy wrote:

Not harsh at all. I will be the first to stand up and admit that firefighters are the bravest of the lot. Maybe my experience is unique, but I'm new to the burbs and I see these guys who either volunteer firefighters or volunteer "specials" in the local police department and it's pretty clear that they are into this solely to look like they are firefighters.

I have a lot of friends and family on the job in both departments in NY and NJ. I myself started out in law enforcement.

Okay, you better back off there buddy.Wink I am on a special op team in town here (volunteer). I even get to carry a gun (if you know me, thats some scarey shit). The funny thing is that my wife's medic uniform consist of black EMS pants (looks like black BDU's) black button down shirt, 2 inch belt, high ankle heavy soled boots and a badge. I wear a light blue shirt, blue dress pants and dress shoes. She looks more like a member of SWAT team.

redpointron

Nov 6, 2007, 9:54 PM
Post #24 of 30 (1211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
redpointron wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
fmd wrote:

In 2006:

I can't agree more. To the OP's question, if you are doing it for the right reason, I say congrats on making that decision. The sacrifice that firefighters are called on to make is one that deserves the utmost respect, that includes respect from those in the same uniform.

I think its something that you have to ask yourself, but if you are doing it so you can impress chicks with your newly found hero status, I tend to think thats a disservice to those who put themselves in harms way for others every day.

i try to impress chicks, BUT my wife keeps getting in the wayTongue

fmd wrote:
And quite a few of those are MVA's and heart attacks. Not perishing in the fires or by smoke inhalation.

yeah, without looking it up, i think traumatic fireground fatalities are around 25% of the total LODD each year

jgloporto

Nov 6, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #25 of 30 (1205 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fmd wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
wideguy wrote:

Okay, you better back off there buddy.Wink I am on a special op team in town here (volunteer). I even get to carry a gun (if you know me, thats some scarey shit). The funny thing is that my wife's medic uniform consist of black EMS pants (looks like black BDU's) black button down shirt, 2 inch belt, high ankle heavy soled boots and a badge. I wear a light blue shirt, blue dress pants and dress shoes. She looks more like a member of SWAT team.

Now that's some funny shit.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook