Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

8flood8

Nov 8, 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #1 of 41 (12287 views)
Shortcut

what kind of camera to buy?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd like something that i can change lenses on, looking for digital as well.

would like to eventually be able to sell a few shots here or there (call me an interested hobbyist)

what are people thinking right now.

not looking for a pro camera, but something that would approximate a magazine quality shot.

any advice? I'm coming here because i don't know where to start researching and my wife won't look at it until i've got some ideas.

thanks in advance!

ps i did a search on only came up with stuff relevant to 2005

kriso9tails

Nov 8, 2007, 12:38 AM
Post #2 of 41 (12283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] what kind of camera to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Magazine quality? Magazines print so much shit these days that that's really not saying much.

Let's start with price bracket and the types of things you plan to shoot and work from there. Also useful; do you plan to stay at a certain level with your photography, or do you plan to get progressively more serious with it? I ask this because I don't know a single professional photographer shooting small format digital that doesn't use either Nikon or Canon lens mounts. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that Leica won't be up your alley.

Myxomatosis

Nov 8, 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #3 of 41 (12283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have posted this in the wrong section but I am sure someone will move it soon Smile

BUT.... The type of camera you can buy depends on the amount of money you are willing to spend Smile Just like all things in life

you pay for what you get

Partner philbox

Nov 8, 2007, 3:03 AM
Post #4 of 41 (12273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Myxomatosis] what kind of camera to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Myxomatosis wrote:
You have posted this in the wrong section but I am sure someone will move it soon Smile

BUT.... The type of camera you can buy depends on the amount of money you are willing to spend Smile Just like all things in life

you pay for what you get

Post moved from photo critique forum to this one.

king_rat

Nov 8, 2007, 5:40 PM
Post #5 of 41 (12238 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

personaly id go for either a canon or nikon(you cant go wrong with either) then decide how much you want to spend

uptick

Nov 9, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #6 of 41 (12174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [king_rat] what kind of camera to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Some good entry level dlsr's are the Nikon D40 and Canon xt and xti. I just picked up the D40 kit (usa model) for under $400 from Adorama. Christmas specials will be hitting the market soon so this is the time of year to be buying.
You can always upgrade to your D2x when you learn how to photograph. You will also find the price of the camera is a starting point to buying all the extras, i.e. lenses, filters, flashes, etc. You can always upgrade the body down the line and keep you bag of extras.
Check out the review sources on the web. This place has a good layout and can side by side compare the items you narrow down.
http://dpreview.com/

kriso9tails

Nov 10, 2007, 1:12 AM
Post #7 of 41 (12151 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uptick] what kind of camera to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

uptick wrote:
Some good entry level dlsr's are the Nikon D40 and Canon xt and xti. I just picked up the D40 kit (usa model) for under $400 from Adorama. Christmas specials will be hitting the market soon so this is the time of year to be buying.
You can always upgrade to your D2x when you learn how to photograph. You will also find the price of the camera is a starting point to buying all the extras, i.e. lenses, filters, flashes, etc. You can always upgrade the body down the line and keep you bag of extras.
Check out the review sources on the web. This place has a good layout and can side by side compare the items you narrow down.
http://dpreview.com/

Actually, lenses is something you have to be careful with since Nikon has fallen in line and gone full frame with the D3. While I don't imagine most cameras in either the Nikon or Canon lines going full frame in the next few years, I do imagine it will become the standard once again somewhere down the line.

The DX lenses, for example, are great for Nikon and Fuji digital slrs... except the D3 in which case using them will more than halve the resolution. I'm not sure about compatability issues with Canon, but given that they produce digital cameras with three different sensor sizes, it's pretty much impossible that the same lens could work perfectly on all three sensors without drawbacks somewhere.

(This post was edited by kriso9tails on Nov 10, 2007, 2:19 AM)

Partner hosh

Nov 10, 2007, 1:26 AM
Post #8 of 41 (12146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] what kind of camera to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just bought my wife a Canon XTi and she loves it! It's a very impressive camera, it's not too difficult to use, and it wasn't a million dollars. Now she's looking at which lenses she wants...

hosh.

Partner dominic7

Nov 10, 2007, 1:45 AM
Post #9 of 41 (12141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8flood8 wrote:
I'd like something that i can change lenses on, looking for digital as well.

would like to eventually be able to sell a few shots here or there (call me an interested hobbyist)

what are people thinking right now.

not looking for a pro camera, but something that would approximate a magazine quality shot.

any advice? I'm coming here because i don't know where to start researching and my wife won't look at it until i've got some ideas.

thanks in advance!

ps i did a search on only came up with stuff relevant to 2005

I got a Rebel DLSR and I really like it. I don't use the stock lense, but got a wide-angle zoom for walking around and a telephoto for longer applications. I'm very happy with it - but am far from a professional so don't take my word.

littlebilly

Nov 10, 2007, 1:52 AM
Post #10 of 41 (12138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hosh] what kind of camera to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My experience only extends to Canon, but I would warn you away from the digital rebels. at least the two that i have had experience with have a limited dynamic range, and do especially poorly with blue skys. I have a (now old) 20d, very much like the newer 30d and 40d. It's a solid camera, big enough to get a good grip and room for a good control layout. little cameras are just too crowded and are like a small crimp to hold onto. I also have a 5D, if you want to go more professional without shelling out 8 grand, that's the camera.
As mentioned in a previous post, lenses and accessories are part of the added cost. the better the camera, the better the lenses have to be. Canon has two lens lines: good, and outrageously expensive.
http://the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/
A good site for canon camera and lens reviews. I strongly urge you to read-up before you purchase.

hope that helps
-V

atlnq9

Nov 11, 2007, 2:49 AM
Post #11 of 41 (12081 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Medium format all the way, not digital but much better than digital unless you have $50,000. You have to love pro slide film, especially fujichrome velvia!

therelic

Nov 11, 2007, 3:47 AM
Post #12 of 41 (12070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey 8flood8,

This is the camera I've got ordered. It's a noticeable upgrade from the D200 and does everything I need to have a camera do. If we climb together again sometime I'll let you play with it.

Bill

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikond300/

uptick

Nov 11, 2007, 6:00 AM
Post #13 of 41 (12058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe I'm taking this out of context but the guy is looking for something a step up from a point and shoot, i.e. "a hobbyist..."

Finding a good "mom and pop" local camera shop can be of great assistance. May not be the best price in the world but surprisingly, they may be competitive on the whole package of getting what you need.
Also helps to put the bodies in your hand and see the layout. The Canon seemed a bit small for my mitts and went with a Nikon. Dont think you would be dissatisfied with either one.
Instead of spending too much on a camera, the first investment should be in developing the craft.

Myxomatosis

Nov 11, 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #14 of 41 (12043 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah I argee... something like the new Canon S5IS or a top of the range "snap shooter" will deliver some awesome results.

If you want to just take photo's of you and your buddies climbing, just pull it out of its bag and its ready to roll... then save a few dollars and hours of "what am I doing wrong? HMMM" moments and get yourself a good digital camera...

If you want to learn the craft of photography and put in some quality time learning the camera, the art and even post editing, then get a DSLR by all means. Cool

I've got a Canon 400D *I think its the Rebel XTi?*. If I had had the choice again, I would have gone for a 30D (as it was quite cheap when I brought mine, around the time the 40D came out) but I do no regret it at all Smile

kevinheiss

Nov 12, 2007, 9:51 PM
Post #15 of 41 (11982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only problem with the Nikon D40 is that you are limited on the type of lens you can buy since the camera doesn't have an autofocus motor built in it. That means you need to buy lenses that have the motor built in it.

For most people the Nikon D80 is more than enough. As for Canon I don't have any experience with then so I can't comment but both company are very good.

Kevin

8flood8

Nov 14, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #16 of 41 (11920 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nikon D200, Digital Camera Body 10.2 megapixels
Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G-AFS ED-IF DX Autofocus Lens
Nikon 70-300mm Auto Focus Lens

Canon EOS 30D,Camera Body 8.2 megapixels
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Zoom Super Wide Angle Autofocus Lens
Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer USM Zoom Telephoto Autofocus Lens

both are roughly $850.00 from what i have seen online.

What do you all think about these?

is that gonna be more than enough to get some good action up close and far farther out?

Myxomatosis

Nov 14, 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #17 of 41 (11896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't go wrong with those camera's, altho the 30D has been upgraded to the 40D now.

uptick

Nov 15, 2007, 6:45 AM
Post #18 of 41 (11859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

D200 is a respectable unit. Not sure where you are getting the whole kit for $850 as the bodies alone are $1400 from a reputable dealer.

8flood8

Nov 15, 2007, 7:07 AM
Post #19 of 41 (11855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.usaphotonation.com/...gine=shopcartusa#acc

1.Nikon D200, Digital Camera Body
2.Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G-AFS ED-IF DX Autofocus Lens
3.Nikon 70-300mm Auto Focus Lens
4.2GB Memory Card
5.LCD Screen Protectors
6.Lens Cleaning Kit
7.Hard Case
8.Card Reader
9.Full Size Tripod
10.Memory Card Case
11.Lens Pouch
12.Cap Keeper
13.Wrist Strap

pretty much the same deal on the canon. with all the extras.

not sure why it is so cheap, but many searches showed similar results.

what do you think?

littlebilly

Nov 15, 2007, 2:34 PM
Post #20 of 41 (11837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

looks scam-ish. I called a company that was offering a great deal on Canon's 5D and they just lead me through a bunch of "upgrades" and it came out the same price as B&H, Adorama, and Calmut. I'm guessing USA Photo Nation is playing the same game. Stick to the dealers with history and reputation.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.adorama.com/
http://www.calumetphoto.com/

VL

wes_allen

Nov 15, 2007, 2:53 PM
Post #21 of 41 (11832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/USA_Photo_Nation

(This post was edited by wes_allen on Nov 15, 2007, 2:54 PM)

8flood8

Nov 15, 2007, 7:14 PM
Post #22 of 41 (11812 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wes_allen] what kind of camera to buy? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you for saving me.

wes_allen

Nov 15, 2007, 7:34 PM
Post #23 of 41 (11804 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8flood8 wrote:
thank you for saving me.

No worries. It is wise to stick to the list posted above, though I think I would add http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx as well, if you can't find a good price locally. Personally, my local store in lexington has prices that are as good as, or better then most of the trustworthy internet sites.

And, as a recommendation, either will be great. If you are looking to save some cash, you can probably find a good used 20d/30d for around $500, and then you can buy a good lens for it. The 40d is quite a bit better then the 30d/20d, but it is also several hundred more.

Basta916

Nov 15, 2007, 9:24 PM
Post #24 of 41 (11786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

8flood8 wrote:
http://www.usaphotonation.com/...gine=shopcartusa#acc

1.Nikon D200, Digital Camera Body
2.Nikon Zoom Super Wide Angle 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 G-AFS ED-IF DX Autofocus Lens
3.Nikon 70-300mm Auto Focus Lens
4.2GB Memory Card
5.LCD Screen Protectors
6.Lens Cleaning Kit
7.Hard Case
8.Card Reader
9.Full Size Tripod
10.Memory Card Case
11.Lens Pouch
12.Cap Keeper
13.Wrist Strap

pretty much the same deal on the canon. with all the extras.

not sure why it is so cheap, but many searches showed similar results.

what do you think?

Other scam places like that will try ,
"they need to call you to conform address"
then they will inform you ,you need to buy a battery for a camera, and battery is $100+ ( you can get it for $20 other places).
Then you'll find out a battery charger is not in a deal nether...
and couple other things.....and if you say" HOLD ON!!!!"
you will be informed " YOU AREN'T DOIN ME A FAVOR IF YOU BUY FROM US......."
At the end your total will be same or more than a reputable place.....

(This post was edited by Basta916 on Nov 16, 2007, 5:26 PM)

pico23

Nov 17, 2007, 12:58 AM
Post #25 of 41 (11680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing about this board is NEVER EVER EVER ask a photo gear question unless you have $5000-10,000 to spend now or within 6mos, or have access and desire to endebt yourself to credit cards for that type of money.

Most of the prolific posters on this board truly believe you cannot take a printable image with less than a $2000 body and at least a $2000 lens mounted to it. And if you ever dare question that theory you will be sent to your room promptly with absolutely no desert.

I've seen many post where the guy states a very reasonable $500 lens budget and the first post is for a $1200 lens recomendation.

I know with micro stock and just internet publishing and really just ease of access almost anyone can make some money off photography but honestly, a lot of people don't want to make money off of it.

As sad as it sounds they are OK with dropping 2K on a body and a few lenses for a hobby, and making nothing in return, but not OK on dropping 10K with the idea that they now have to make a return on that "investment".

For my own perspective, I could not be happier pushing paper for a living. And when I get tired of that, I'll go into health care but I never ever ever ever hope to have to pay an essential bill through photography.

And quite frankly if that doesn't make sense, think about guys getting paid $10 mil a year to play a sport and not having any fun, while I go out and enjoy every moment. Heck, I pay to have a ball pitched to me...and leave with a f'ing smile on my face. I see a lot of major leaguers smile 1 time every 3 years and thats when they sign the next contract.

As far as approximating a magazing quality shot...any digital camera produced since 2003 will fill a 2 page magazine bleed. sad but true. and the reason why you only came up with stuff relevant to 2005 was because the size we could print to pretty much ended for all reasonable purposes way back in 2003 with the 5-6MP DSLR cameras.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook