RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

dan2see

Oct 21, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #1 of 20 (3283 views)
Shortcut

Dan's Plans in Kananaskis: Oct-Nov 2007
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Summer is over, and it's too cold for rock-climbing.
Winter isn't here yet, but the light snow is great to walk on.

Thursday 25 Oct 2007:
Little Elbow Trail, from Forgetmenot Pond to Mt. Romulus campsite.
This hike is mostly level, pretty boring except for the river crossing.

Thursday 25 Oct 2007 Sunday 28 Oct 2007:
Opal Ridge, from the Eau Clair Campground, up the ridge, and as far south as we can hike.

Thursday 15 Nov 2007:
Old Baldy Mountain, near GR 356417.
From Boundary Ranch, up Flat Creek, From Evan-Thomas Fire Road, up McDougall Creek, to the col between Old Baldy Mountain, and Mount McDougall. The limitation will be remaining day-light.

I'd love company, so if you want to join me, send a PM.

(This post was edited by dan2see on Nov 14, 2007, 4:23 AM)

lovesclimbing

Oct 21, 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #2 of 20 (3273 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dan2see] Dan's Plans in Kananaskis: Oct-Nov 2007 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is not to cold for rock climbing, and theres ice to get at

time2clmb

Oct 21, 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #3 of 20 (3270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definately not too cold to rock climb. The good thing about this time of year is that there is no one else at the crags....you get the whole place to yourself for the most part.

dan2see

Oct 22, 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #4 of 20 (3264 views)
Shortcut

Re: [time2clmb] Dan's Plans in Kananaskis: Oct-Nov 2007 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I certainly need lots of practice in placing gear. What do you suggest, guys? Hmmm ???

lovesclimbing

Oct 22, 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #5 of 20 (3261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what crag can you climb every month of the year and is the best in the bow valley, why Yam of course, even with a foot of snow as long as its a sunny day and no wind you can be on that anytime, Kidd goat is another good one for a short day, just remember that this time of year at 1230 it will get cold

dan2see

Oct 22, 2007, 2:57 AM
Post #6 of 20 (3245 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lovesclimbing] Dan's Plans in Kananaskis: Oct-Nov 2007 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey that's a good idea.

I want to do Keel Hawl Wall. If anybody's interested, let me know. We'll need an early start, and we'll get back home early, too.

the_climber

Oct 22, 2007, 4:16 PM
Post #7 of 20 (3233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [time2clmb] Dan's Plans in Kananaskis: Oct-Nov 2007 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

time2clmb wrote:
Definately not too cold to rock climb. The good thing about this time of year is that there is no one else at the crags....you get the whole place to yourself for the most part.

It's also the best time of year for new routing.

dan2see

Oct 31, 2007, 3:24 AM
Post #8 of 20 (3197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
Thursday 25 Oct 2007:
This hike is mostly level, pretty boring except for the river crossing.

I want to post some pictures of the Remus and Romulus. They aren't ready yet.

This hike was mostly level, but not boring at all. Little Elbow Valley is on the south side of Mt. Remus and Mt. Romulus.

The sun lit up all the slopes and I could see an awful lot of detail on the mountains. I'm sure there's at least one scramble up a ridge to Remus's summit. The summit itself might need technical climbing, though.

The river crossing was boring. It's a steel bridge.

The trail leads 12.5 km to the Romulus Campsite. My goal was to discover if this camp is real. Well it is, and a camper there offered me a hot cup of coffee. Fabulous!

Then I had to hike 12.5 km back to Forgetmenot, muttering all over again, "Wow" at the mountain-sides.

dan2see

Oct 31, 2007, 3:47 AM
Post #9 of 20 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
Thursday 25 Oct 2007 Sunday 28 Oct 2007:
Opal Ridge, from the Eau Clair Campground, up the ridge, and as far south as we can hike.

I plan to post some pictures, when they are ready.

Most of the ridge is forested, so you can't see where you are, or where you're going. The ridge crest is made from folds in the rock, and the folds kept changing. Well the first rule of route-finding on a ridge is, "Uphill is always good", so I did. Mostly.

The second rule is, "Animal trails always go somewhere". This was a great help, but I kept losing and re-finding the path.

For me, the best feature of any ridge is the meadows. I always stop to relax, have a snack, and enjoy the views.

But eventually I came to a huge buttress at about 2200 meters. I scrambled up some terrace cliffs below the buttress, but I could not see a way around either side. And now I was running out of time and sunlight, and I had to get back down.

Route-finding on the descent was the same as assent, but even more important, because the wrong down-hill would take me miles from the toe of the ridge. I did well, all the way until the very last, where I took the wrong turn and ended up on the top of a drop-off over the creek, a kilometer away from my car. This little cliff was only slopers, all mossy, and mostly loose. That's where my rock-climbing experience really became useful. I stayed dry.

But there's more!

"Heart" Ann and Nancy Wilson were playing in Calgary this evening. I drove from Opal Ridge, straight to the concert, and rocked the evening. Great songs, great band. Absolutely rockin' ! !! !!!

Their encore was "Kashmir" and "Black Dog" from Led Zeppelin

Is that a rockin' day or what !

dan2see

Nov 7, 2007, 5:41 AM
Post #10 of 20 (3160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
Thursday 25 Oct 2007:

I've posted some photos on my own web pages:
Dan's Pages on Nucleus

dan2see

Nov 13, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #11 of 20 (3123 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've added this destination to my agenda:

In reply to:
Thursday 15 Nov 2007:
"Old Baldy Mountain", near GR 356417.
From Boundary Ranch, up Flat Creek, From Evan-Thomas Fire Road, up McDougall Creek, to the col between Old Baldy Mountain, and Mount McDougall. The limitation will be remaining day-light.

A description is posted: Old Baldy on SummitPost

As always, I'd love your company. If you'd like to come along, send me a PM.

(This post was edited by dan2see on Nov 14, 2007, 4:24 AM)

dan2see

Nov 16, 2007, 1:48 AM
Post #12 of 20 (3095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a wonderful time, hiking along McDougall Creek, and sometimes through it. This mountain stream is so pretty, surrounded by snow, with ice on some of the rocks. It doesn't babble, it tinkles. And it was fun to rock-hop across.

I was always in sight of "The Wedge", a mountain whose summit is huge wedge. You can see it from Calgary. It's northern slopes were avalanching all day. Not the white fluffy things you see on TV, these are the rock-falls that carve cirques. They sound like a jet plane taking off, except they don't go away, they just fade out after a minute.

Animal tracks everywhere! Mice, squirrels, fox, elk, and especial Bighorn Sheep. Also titmouse and pheasant.

At 1800 meters (not very high) the snow was 30 cm deep, (about a foot deep). 3 or 4 Bighorn Sheep had preceeded me up the valley, and their tracks in the snow helped me.

But the going was slow, and after 4 hours I was not even half-way to the crest of the big ridge. I wouldn't reach the crest until sunset, so I came down early.

climb_eng

Nov 16, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #13 of 20 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sound like a wonderful time :).

-JP

dan2see

Nov 17, 2007, 4:03 AM
Post #14 of 20 (3064 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] Dan's Plans in Kananaskis: Oct-Nov 2007 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
That sound like a wonderful time :).-JP

The purpose of this thread was simply to let local folks know what I'm up to, and I hoped I could connect with anybody for climbing in the Rockies. That worked, I had a fun day with Kevin, and we even used my pictures to post a silly thread about how we all fell asleep on Mt McGillivray.

It's always smart to have a plan-B, an alternate activity to do if the outing you want, won't go. Originally I thought, if I can't go out with a partner, I'd try rope-solo. That was my plan for McGillivray, until Kevin invited me on a real climb. That worked out really well, because technically I was a basket case on that slabs.

But it looks like my agenda is taking on a life of its own. Ridge-walks and scrambles make wonderful adventures. The routes I've done are just as demanding and committing as any rock climbing you've done, and to me, the discovery and learning, on these big mountains, far surpass any crag.

The purpose of this thread is to met local folks, with the hope that you'd like to join me (or I can join you, too). I'm a people-person, and I love sharing adventure and good times with my friends. But it just wasn't happening this summer, so I did solo scrambles. It's a little like lead climbing: I must be observant. Route-finding is vital. And I'm responsible for the outcome, whether good or bad. Finally, every outing is a learning experience. Boy, have I been learning!

So I'm a climber who hikes. No, I'm a hiker who climbs. No, it's easier that that: I love it up there!

Meanwhile, I have joined the "Senior's Hiking Club". Last winter, we did snow-shoe hikes in the mountains, every week in winter. A lot of those guys ski, but I have to work.

Well folks, I don't know if I'll post my agenda in the future. But my invitation is still open:
"I'd love to share your company. If you'd like to join me, send me a PM "

Bye for now,
Daniel Cohen in Calgary

climb_eng

Nov 17, 2007, 5:09 AM
Post #15 of 20 (3058 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I actually was very serious. I spent most of my summer hiking and scrambling due to my foot injury. I love hiking :). Thursday of course is no good for me since I have to work. But I did enjoy living vicariously through you're wonderful description.

So no sarcasm at all, I really thought it sounded like a wonderful time.

dan2see

Nov 17, 2007, 5:22 AM
Post #16 of 20 (3055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
I actually was very serious. I spent most of my summer hiking and scrambling due to my foot injury. I love hiking :). Thursday of course is no good for me since I have to work. But I did enjoy living vicariously through you're wonderful description.

So no sarcasm at all, I really thought it sounded like a wonderful time.

Oops, JP, no sarcasm was meant by me, either. I'm not Wanda on "Corner Gas".

It's a wonderful activity, all right! It's hard to stop saying "Wow!" and that keeps going on and on...

As for "living vicariously": thanks! That makes me feel good.

But I am looking to the future. I'm not sure about this winter, but I won't be watch a lot TV. And I'm building bigger plans for next summer.

climb_eng

Nov 17, 2007, 7:50 AM
Post #17 of 20 (3044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should really try to pick up a winter activity Dan. Have you considered trying some ice? You could also try aid climbing if you're interested.

dan2see

Nov 18, 2007, 4:29 AM
Post #18 of 20 (3012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb_eng wrote:
You should really try to pick up a winter activity Dan. Have you considered trying some ice? You could also try aid climbing if you're interested.

Well, that's a perfect reason to join the Extreme 5.4 Liars at the pub, this Wednesday, JP! You know that every climbing route is easier, when you're on the ground. The pub is even better, because every ice and snow challenge is easier when you're sharing a draft.

But you should know this about me:
I never lie!
And I only exaggerate sometimes!

(This post was edited by dan2see on Nov 18, 2007, 4:32 AM)

rockguide

Nov 18, 2007, 5:12 AM
Post #19 of 20 (3008 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
climb_eng wrote:

Well, that's a perfect reason to join the Extreme 5.4 Liars at the pub, this Wednesday, JP! You know that every climbing route is easier, when you're on the ground. The pub is even better, because every ice and snow challenge is easier when you're sharing a draft.

But you should know this about me:
I never lie!
And I only exaggerate sometimes!

No! Say it isn't so!

B

dan2see

Nov 21, 2007, 4:22 AM
Post #20 of 20 (2931 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dan2see wrote:
Thursday 15 Nov 2007:
Old Baldy Mountain, near GR 356417.
From Evan-Thomas Fire Road, up McDougall Creek, to the col between Old Baldy Mountain, and Mount McDougall. The limitation will be remaining day-light.

Last Thursday got an early start. As I gained altitude, the snow got deeper. I like walking in snow, but this was slowing me down, enough that I'd reach the summit by sunset. So I only went half-way up and enjoyed the snow and creek and the many animal tracks.

McDougall Creek mini-report

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook