RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

cyberclimber

Oct 14, 2002, 8:35 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Possitioning for climbing shots
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm hoping to improve on my abysmal record of climbing photography failures. One of the things I have noticed in looking at the pics on this site that I like, is that most good shots come from an equal or great height than the subject rather than from below. Here is how rradam gets in possition to take his shots http://www.rockclimbing.com/photos.php?Action=ListPhoto&PhotoID=7227
I am thinking that I would rather jug (ascend) a rope beside the climber (using the Texas/frog system that I use for caving) rather than coming down from the top so that I can shoot from several possitions on a given climb.
My question is: Do any of you climbing photographers jug to get in possition for your shots, and are there any down-sides to jugging as opposed to rappelling or anchoring in on a fixed line?

Edited cuz eye kant spel sew gud]

[ This Message was edited by: cyberclimber on 2002-10-14 13:56 ]

krillen

Oct 15, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Possitioning for climbing shots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I lead the climb, or the one next to it, go direct into the achors, using various, slings, safety lines etc. and shoot from above.

Pros tend to rig two lines with two gri gri's and use ascenders to go up and down. Using two gri gri's allows you to adjust your side to side movement, and lock it off. It's very stable and safe....but it's a LOT of work.

My first suggestion, "Always make sure you are SAFE"

thomasribiere

Oct 15, 2002, 7:51 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Possitioning for climbing shots [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I sometimes make climbing pictures from beneath, but they are often not very interesting because what you see is
- 2 legs and a bottom, not the most interesting in climbing, when zooming on the climber
- a lot of rock and a small climber, when using a wide angle.

I prefer the pictures from above or from one side, where one can see the face and the arms and hands, and some rocks and sometimes forests or lakes aso.
To do this kind of pictures, I unfortunately don't use any kind of rope or belayind system b/c I'm too laz, but I play with the cliff, looking for a place I can be "over" the climber (top of the cliff, or making some easy moves on an easy route to reach a ledge), and then, according to the distance, using different kind of focusings (?, I don't think this is the right english word, sorry!).

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook