Ignore the voluntary June climbing ban at DT. 8 / 22%
36 total votes

brettkvo

Nov 19, 2007, 8:42 AM
Post #1 of 28 (6542 views)
Shortcut

Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everybody. I'm writing a lengthy report on the Devils Tower/Bears Den conflict for my college class and I thought it would be awesome to have some input in the form of actual poll numbers. If you have a valid *new* thought to add to this subject, please feel free. There's a few posts on RC.com already that do a pretty good job explaining the various ideas out there (both for and against the voluntary ban). I've researched just about every possible viewpoint on this matter.

Also, any locals who have more current thoughts on how the closure is working out or what modifications should be made should definitely post them up or PM me. I've heard that the ban isn't working as well as it used to. Any thoughts?

We don't need to get upset about this. It's just a poll.

Thanks,

-Brett

chossmonkey

Nov 19, 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #2 of 28 (6530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brettkvo] Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I didn't vote. I think there is an area between your two options.

gblauer

Nov 19, 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #3 of 28 (6490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brettkvo wrote:
Hey everybody. I'm writing a lengthy report on the Devils Tower/Bears Den conflict for my college class and I thought it would be awesome to have some input in the form of actual poll numbers. If you have a valid *new* thought to add to this subject, please feel free. There's a few posts on RC.com already that do a pretty good job explaining the various ideas out there (both for and against the voluntary ban). I've researched just about every possible viewpoint on this matter.

Also, any locals who have more current thoughts on how the closure is working out or what modifications should be made should definitely post them up or PM me. I've heard that the ban isn't working as well as it used to. Any thoughts?

We don't need to get upset about this. It's just a poll.

Thanks,

-Brett

Call Frank Sanders...

kovacs69

Nov 19, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #4 of 28 (6471 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In all of your research did you come up with solid numbers of Native American that travel to the tower each year during the month ban? I would be interested in seeing the exact numbers.

JB

atpeaceinbozeman

Nov 19, 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #5 of 28 (6463 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by atpeaceinbozeman [In reply to]
Report this Post

atpeaceinbozeman

Nov 19, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #6 of 28 (6447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
I didn't vote. I think there is an area between your two options.

I also gotta agree with this too. It seems like the question is phrased to make you want to answer "respect", which is not the antonym of ignore BTW...

"The key in survey research is to ask questions that people care about the answers, and to ask the question in a way that you get the right answer."

watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/...4&watch_response

healyje

Nov 19, 2007, 5:13 PM
Post #7 of 28 (6408 views)
Shortcut

Re: [atpeaceinbozeman] Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
Ask him about PROJECT 365

http://www.devilstowerlodge.com/news.html

Same self-centered, self-serving bullshit, different year - only this time Frank appears to be climbing to improve the lives of Native Americans on the reservation (where clearly he'd like them to stay). Frank, who I'm guessing is in every other respect probably a great guy, seems wholly incapable of seeing beyond his personal resentment and needs (personal and possibly commercial) relative to this issue.

As if last year's attempt to cast climbing as a co-equal religion wasn't insulting enough, Frank has suddenly taken a deep interest in the well being of Native Americans on the reservation. Well, here's an idea - spend June on the reservation volunteering in some capacity or another rather than self-servingly summiting every day.

And people wonder what the implications of Cave Rock might be. Maybe folks would like to go back to court over the DT voluntary closure with that precedent in hand. Clueless.

atpeaceinbozeman

Nov 19, 2007, 5:26 PM
Post #8 of 28 (6390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Partner j_ung

Nov 19, 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #9 of 28 (6373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
Ask him about PROJECT 365

http://www.devilstowerlodge.com/news.html

Same self-centered, self-serving bullshit, different year - only this time Frank appears to be climbing to improve the lives of Native Americans on the reservation (where clearly he'd like them to stay). Frank, who I'm guessing is in every other respect probably a great guy, seems wholly incapable of seeing beyond his personal resentment and needs (personal and possibly commercial) relative to this issue.

As if last year's attempt to cast climbing as a co-equal religion wasn't insulting enough, Frank has suddenly taken a deep interest in the well being of Native Americans on the reservation. Well, here's an idea - spend June on the reservation volunteering in some capacity or another rather than self-servingly summiting every day.

And people wonder what the implications of Cave Rock might be. Maybe folks would like to go back to court over the DT voluntary closure with that precedent in hand. Clueless.

Healyje, have you ever spent any time with Frank? I ask because your impression of him is so completely at odds with mine. I have spent time with him. And that time makes it difficult for me to imagine how anyone could formulate such an opinion unless he or she had not.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Nov 19, 2007, 5:40 PM)

healyje

Nov 19, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #10 of 28 (6362 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
healyje wrote:
Well, here's an idea - spend June on the reservation volunteering in some capacity or another rather than self-servingly summiting every day.

Is that how you personally benefit the Native American culture? Or are you just trying to tell Frank how to spend his time?

I'm married to it, I live with it, and see through that lens the effects of past and present US policy towards Native Americans. I've seen and lived it through the impact on my own extended family.

But, this isn't about how I benefit my wife's or other tribes (though they've been through the mill with out-of-hand climbers on their reservation as well) this is about yet another one of Frank's bullshit, ham-handed, and hypocritical attempts to encourage climbers to ignore the voluntary June climbing ban.

Frank couldn't give a rat's ass about the quality of life on the reservation - Frank only cares about his ability to climb DT unimpeded. Even that cool, he just needs to stop attempting to wrap it in hypocritical trappings that just piss people off and just speak plainly and honestly to the issue. These sorts of approaches to the issue are dishonest, contrary, and - again - in light of the new Cave Rock precedent, less than wise.

healyje

Nov 19, 2007, 5:48 PM
Post #11 of 28 (6352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
Healyje, have you ever spent any time with Frank? I ask because your impression of him is so completely at odds with mine. I have spent time with him. And that time makes it difficult for me to imagine how anyone could formulate such an opinion unless he or she had not.

As I said, Frank is probably a great guy in every other respect - but in this matter I can formulate an opinion based on his own words both here and on his website. I'm old and trad-to-the-bone and love climbing with the old guys everywhere I go and would love to get back to DT and climb with someone like Frank. That's not likely to happen with with this issue I'm guessing, but hey, that's cool. In this regard the whole matter is a bummer, but climbers are being politically niave if they think this sort of behavior is in their best interest - it isn't, particularly in light of Cave Rock.

atpeaceinbozeman

Nov 19, 2007, 6:00 PM
Post #12 of 28 (6343 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

healyje

Nov 19, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #13 of 28 (6313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
I'm going to have to disagree with you. I believe Frank does, in fact, "give a rat's ass about the quality of life on the reservation"

If he does, then he'd be wise to drop the bullshit and just speak plainly on the issue and not attempt to co-mingle it with the quality of life on the reservation.

In reply to:
Also, like I said above, the Superintendent of Devils Tower, Dorothy FireCloud, supports Frank's project...

FireCloud has to respond politically - which would be to support any legal entity claiming to said concern - that in no way obviates the sheer hipocrisy Frank keeps displaying on this issue. Again, he - and climbing - would be better served if he just spoke out plainly against the voluntary closure instead of continuously attempting to claim that his personal and commercial interests in climbing are a religion or that his climbing is somehow a benefit to Native Americans' interests either in DT or elsewhere.

kovacs69

Nov 19, 2007, 6:25 PM
Post #14 of 28 (6302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just love seeing you guys get bent out of shape over someone who climbs DT in June. You are wasting your time. You know why...It's a VOLUNTARY CLOSURE!!!

vol·un·tar·y adj.
1. Done or undertaken of one's own free will.
4. Capable of making choices; having the faculty of will.

My Favorite:

6. Law: Without legal obligation or consideration.

By definition Frank or anyone can climb if they want to. No one is telling them they can't, only that they would like them to consider not climbing.

But I am wasting time. If you want my opinion on the voluntary closure I have covered it here.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ic_view=&start=0

In reality I hate all of the people that climb from July to May. I mean really people it is a "Voluntary Opening". So stop climbing then.

BTW...I don't know Frank but more power to him.
Keep climbing and keep living.

JB

(This post was edited by kovacs69 on Nov 19, 2007, 6:26 PM)

healyje

Nov 19, 2007, 6:49 PM
Post #15 of 28 (6259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
I just love seeing you guys get bent out of shape over someone who climbs DT in June. You are wasting your time. You know why...It's a VOLUNTARY CLOSURE!!!

Yes, it's voluntary at the moment as a compromise with the tribes. But with Cave Rock on the books that could easily change if the voluntary closure were widely perceived as a failure and there was ample documentation local climbers with commercial interests in climbing were actively working to undermine it. Again, actively encouraging climbers to climb DT in June - under any rubric, guise, or scheme - is politically an unwise course of action.

atpeaceinbozeman

Nov 19, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #16 of 28 (6236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

kovacs69

Nov 19, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #17 of 28 (6200 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

.read about it here:
http://outside.away.com/...onal-monument-4.html

Wonderful Article. Thanks for sharing.

JB

healyje

Nov 19, 2007, 7:34 PM
Post #18 of 28 (6197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
healyje wrote:
Yes, it's voluntary at the moment as a compromise with the tribes.

By 'compromise with the tribes' I should point out that it was the tribal elders who wanted it voluntary not mandatory...read about it here:
http://outside.away.com/...onal-monument-4.html

And that was a wise call on their part - prior to Cave Rock. The landscape is considerably different in its wake.

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
healyje wrote:
But with Cave Rock on the books that could easily change if the voluntary closure were widely perceived as a failure and there was ample documentation local climbers with commercial interests in climbing were actively working to undermine it. Again, actively encouraging climbers to climb DT in June - under any rubric, guise, or scheme - is politically an unwise course of action.

Thing is, the voluntary closure is widely regarded as a success.

Although voluntary, this closure has been very successful - resulting in an 80% reduction in the number of climbers during June.

And it would be great for it to stay that way. Frank encouraging folks to climb in June and provided ample documentation to that effect does nothing to help insure the perception the closure is an enduringly successful approach to dealing with the issue.

Overall his [well-documented] approaches to the issue are about on par with claiming the roof of his B&B is a natural Peregrine nesting eyrie and adequate in lieu of the Peregrine closures.

atpeaceinbozeman

Nov 19, 2007, 8:53 PM
Post #19 of 28 (6171 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Partner j_ung

Nov 19, 2007, 9:20 PM
Post #20 of 28 (6155 views)
Shortcut

Re: [healyje] Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

healyje wrote:
j_ung wrote:

As I said, Frank is probably a great guy in every other respect - but in this matter I can formulate an opinion based on his own words both here and on his website. I'm old and trad-to-the-bone and love climbing with the old guys everywhere I go and would love to get back to DT and climb with someone like Frank. That's not likely to happen with with this issue I'm guessing, but hey, that's cool. In this regard the whole matter is a bummer, but climbers are being politically niave if they think this sort of behavior is in their best interest - it isn't, particularly in light of Cave Rock.

Ah, well, It's not my job to convince you otherwise. I do hope you meet him someday, though. In this day and age, he's a rare individual.

healyje

Nov 19, 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #21 of 28 (6113 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
It's rather pointless discussing this issue if you're going to use logical fallacies.

Ah, but clearly climbing-as-a-religion you have no problem with...

brettkvo

Nov 19, 2007, 10:27 PM
Post #22 of 28 (6111 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the quick replies. I realize that the poll doesn't have all the available options. Obviously this is a much deeper issue than a simple yes/no poll. Still, I believe that most people can make a decent decision when presented with these two options.

Moreover, I'm not particularly interested in one person's personal opinion on the matter. I'm interested in the combined opinions of all rock climbers. Frank Sanders, as cool or uncool as you guys say he is, is only one man. For the topic of my paper, I chose to focus more on the climbing population and the Native population as a whole. Folks like Frank aren't indicative of the "whole" and, while their opinions are important, don't represent the larger consensus.

My paper is due in 20 hours, so I'll have to skip on most of the down-and-dirty information this time. Keep the poll results coming! I'll insert the final count on my way to class in the morning.

thanks,

-brett

atpeaceinbozeman

Nov 19, 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #23 of 28 (6089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

healyje

Nov 20, 2007, 3:31 AM
Post #24 of 28 (6052 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
healyje wrote:
atpeaceinbozeman wrote:
It's rather pointless discussing this issue if you're going to use logical fallacies.

Ah, but clearly climbing-as-a-religion you have no problem with...

If someone considers climbing as part of their spiritual worship, I respect that. You have no right invalidating the faith of others, traditional or not.

Please, spare me - claiming climbing has personal spiritual experiential elements is one thing, proposing and encouraging folks to claim climbing is a co-equal religion is a vacuous, utterly transparent, and desperately misguided political strategy for access. Only one common thread weaves through all these 'initiatives' - Frank being bummed about the prospect of any form of climbing closure. And I'm doing my damnest to give him the benefit of the doubt here relative to his commercial interests in the matter. I'm guessing and hoping those don't significantly play into the matter, but the more he pushes into the realm of formally resourced efforts, the more one begins to wonder.

brettkvo

Nov 20, 2007, 3:55 AM
Post #25 of 28 (6042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kovacs69] Devils Tower Voluntary June Ban Poll [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kovacs69 wrote:
In all of your research did you come up with solid numbers of Native American that travel to the tower each year during the month ban? I would be interested in seeing the exact numbers.

JB

the NPS didn't have any numbers on this, but did mention that they have issued an unknown number of "special use permits" for larger gatherings. the woman I spoke with said that many many Natives just come onto the monument in quiet and don't "register" that they're going to pray.... so, numbers aren't conclusive, but if you're in doubt you should watch "In the Light of Reverence." It's a pretty good film about the whole thing, albeit biased.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook