Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kmc

Dec 8, 2007, 4:17 PM
Post #1 of 33 (2652 views)
Shortcut

Another rope thread...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I am planning on getting a new set of ropes for this season. I do have a single rope now, but I wanted to get a set of doubles for leading on ice. I was looking at Blue Water's website, and they recomend their twin ropes, as opposed to their doubles for ice climbing.

So I was wondering what all of you favor for leading on ice, twins or doubles? Also any particular sets of ropes you have tried, and liked or disliked for any reason? I would like to stick with Blue Water or Sterling if possible, but am open for all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

~Kevin

flint

Dec 8, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #2 of 33 (2644 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmc] Another rope thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Buy ropes that work as twins and doubles... most do.

j-

stymingersfink

Dec 9, 2007, 1:21 AM
Post #3 of 33 (2607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Another rope thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:

j-
um, no.

Buy the doubles, do not use them as twins when climbing ice. Doubles and Twins are not inter-changeable in their useage techniques

8.1mm Beal Iceline

That's what I like. You'll figure out what you like, but only after dropping the coin and experiencing it for yourself for a season or two. It's the cost of an education.

Arjen

Dec 9, 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #4 of 33 (2577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Another rope thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some that are both rated for double and twins, but twins have little place on the ice IMHO.

Using double ropes means you have one rope clipped in your last piece of pro, so if you fall off you fall on one rope. The impact factor on your piece will be lower than when using twins, as you clip both ropes in with that technique.

Doubles are also useful for summer, to keep rope drag to a minimum- twins don't have this advantage.

Twin have a function in an alpine environment with lots of moving together and a relatively high risk of the rope getting damaged, but even here can their function be taken over by modern doubles.

justinboening

Dec 10, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #5 of 33 (2545 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink,

Well, although not all or even most of the half ropes currently made are certified also for use as twin ropes, there are certainly many that are. When you take that tone--that "um, no" tone--and you're so clearly wrong you're not really shown in the most flattering light. The Beal Joker, PMI Verglas and Fusion, The Monster 7.8, the Tendon 7.8 Master, 8.5 master, and 7.9 Ambition can all be used as both half and twin ropes. So...

stymingersfink

Dec 10, 2007, 3:37 AM
Post #6 of 33 (2513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justinboening] Another rope thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justinboening wrote:
stymingersfink,

Well, although not all or even most of the half ropes currently made are certified also for use as twin ropes, there are certainly many that are. When you take that tone--that "um, no" tone--and you're so clearly wrong you're not really shown in the most flattering light. The Beal Joker, PMI Verglas and Fusion, The Monster 7.8, the Tendon 7.8 Master, 8.5 master, and 7.9 Ambition can all be used as both half and twin ropes. So...
Um, whatever.

Using half ropes as twins defeats the entire purpose of using half ropes, as twins are not nearly as accommodating to meandering routes, and clipping two half ropes to a single piece increases impact forces in the event of a fall... using a triple-rated rope like the joker as a twin is like---> joke's on you! --> at best, if you need the redundancy of an additional rope, clip it as a half-rope. OR, even better... just purchase the right set of half-ropes the first time. it's probably cheaper than a pair of jokers, and just as effective.

justinboening

Dec 10, 2007, 4:17 AM
Post #7 of 33 (2501 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think your attitude fools many. The bottom line is you were wrong; in fact, there are half-ropes that are designed to be used as a twin ropes, and visa-versa. And if you don't understand why a twin rope can sometimes provide more security than a half or single rope, then you're probably not going to understand it if I explain it to you. But for the rest, there are times when the importance of putting more nylon into your system is more important than reducing impact on you last piece of protection. Think of a time when you've had bomber pro, but couldn't keep you rope from rubbing against a sharp edge in the event of a fall. That's when you do this simple equation--9.1+9.1=18.2. And since 18.2 is a larger number than 9.1, the choice becomes clear--you run you joker as a twin for that pitch. If you run the rope as a half system, you're running the risk of taking a longer fall, and I'm sure we can all see how there are times when that could be a severe problem. Seriously, if you couldn't come up with that scenario in your head before you chose to give your misinformed advice (stamped with your arrogant tone), you probably should have just kept your opinion to yourself.

justinboening

Dec 10, 2007, 4:27 AM
Post #8 of 33 (2496 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kmc] Another rope thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

KMC,

Get the PMI Fusion if you want durability, or the PMI Verglas if you want light weight. Both ropes can be used as either half or twin ropes, have an excellent dry treatment, and have respectable impact force markings. That's my vote. If you're really committed to the companies you mentioned, however, the Sterling Nano is one of the best ropes I've owned. Also, if you go with the Nano, you're going to have a couple of amazing single ropes in addition to a fine set of half-ropes (although strangely not as durable as just a regular pair of half-ropes). And yes, I've put mine through the wringer, and it continues to impress me (all 200 pounds of me). I guess the bottom line is that I look for versatility, but it's never really that simple, is it?.

stymingersfink

Dec 10, 2007, 5:42 AM
Post #9 of 33 (2474 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justinboening wrote:
I don't think your attitude fools many. The bottom line is you were wrong; in fact, there are half-ropes that are designed to be used as a twin ropes, and visa-versa.
No? No. Here, I'll hash it all out for you, but just this once, so pay close attention.

It began:

kevin wrote:
o I am planning on getting a new set of ropes for this season. I do have a single rope now, but I wanted to get a set of doubles for leading on ice. I was looking at Blue Water's website, and they recomend their twin ropes, as opposed to their doubles for ice climbing.

So I was wondering what all of you favor for leading on ice, twins or doubles? Also any particular sets of ropes you have tried, and liked or disliked for any reason? I would like to stick with Blue Water or Sterling if possible, but am open for all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

~Kevin

receiving this reply:

flint wrote:

j-

to which my reply was accurate. No.

Now, here's why: For Ice climbing, most people don't bother spending extra money on a rope rated and certified as both doubles and twins, they simply climb on a single dry rope (as the OP has been doing). Need to make full length raps or cover wandering routes? Here in the states most climb with doubles, as for most uses they are more versatile and cost effective than twins are.

Now... why don't you go knit me a sweater!

justinboening

Dec 10, 2007, 6:53 AM
Post #10 of 33 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your initial reply was to the validity of the statement that there were half-ropes that were also certified for use as twins. That was the fact you disputed first (which is clear to any who have been paying attention since the beginning). On this matter, you are dead wrong, and I made that very clear to you; in fact, I gave you the rope names (and expected that you would look for yourself). Now, when I climb "ice," sometimes I climb rock simultaneously. We call this mixed climbing. Sometimes when I'm mixed climbing, I realize that if I fall, my rope may be loaded over an edge. When I find myself in this position, I value the security of my rope (or ropes in this case) over the impact force I'm applying to my top piece, especially if that top piece is bomber. Enter the usefulness of being able to use your half-ropes as twin ropes. Truthfully though, the ability to use this technique safely is really the function of the individual rope's ability to stretch under dynamic loads. Hence, your recommendation, the Beal Ice Line, may very well be the best option, since it has the lowest impact force (and I know the dry treatment is descent). Your attitude, however, is disgusting. Remember, when you act like you know something when you really don't, that's arrogance. If your condescending on top of that, well...

paintrain

Dec 10, 2007, 4:43 PM
Post #11 of 33 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with fingers on this one, though not in such a definitive tone.

It is imperative to mitigate the impact on your gear when iceclimbing. Unless your twins elongation is equal to a single double, then you are not via your choice of rope. Arguments about tagging the rope and the redundancy of twins aside.

There are a lot of options out there. Twins, doubles, singles all different size and elongations. The most versatile and best suited IMO is a double setup, but it requires more belay savy/work. If you go for the middle ground of twins/double hybrid, you will probably sacrifice durability in your double setup and they will be uber stretchy as a double.

I would weigh your options with cost in mind with the focus on what type of climbing you usually do.

PT

ja1484

Dec 10, 2007, 5:22 PM
Post #12 of 33 (2412 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
justinboening wrote:
stymingersfink,

Um, whatever.

Using half ropes as twins defeats the entire purpose of using half ropes, as twins are not nearly as accommodating to meandering routes, and clipping two half ropes to a single piece increases impact forces in the event of a fall... using a triple-rated rope like the joker as a twin is like---> joke's on you! --> at best, if you need the redundancy of an additional rope, clip it as a half-rope. OR, even better... just purchase the right set of half-ropes the first time. it's probably cheaper than a pair of jokers, and just as effective.

Gotta go with Sty here. In fact, the whole idea of twin ropes is really just stupid. Single rope failure is essentially nonexistent for all practical purposes, so if you're going to limit yourself to a single rope path, go with a single line.

If you're going up there with two ropes, get halfs. it will help mitigate rope drag issues, and won't give you the double impact force/greater equipment requirements (more biners) of twins.

Single lines or Half lines. There's really no need for anything else in climbing.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Dec 10, 2007, 5:24 PM)

wmfork

Dec 10, 2007, 5:58 PM
Post #13 of 33 (2392 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Another rope thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
Gotta go with Sty here. In fact, the whole idea of twin ropes is really just stupid. Single rope failure is essentially nonexistent for all practical purposes, so if you're going to limit yourself to a single rope path, go with a single line.
Umm, how about, however small one feels, twins does have a safety margin over single rope. It give you full length rappel. It's a lot easier to belay (more time to organize on multipitch) than half. For the same rope, twin configuration will likely have a longer rope life.
ja1484 wrote:
If you're going up there with two ropes, get halfs. it will help mitigate rope drag issues, and won't give you the double impact force/greater equipment requirements (more biners) of twins.
I don't ever recall one has to clip each strand to a separate biner with twins. Oh, and 2 strands do not double the impact force (higher, yes).

I've put 6000ft of rock on my half/twin ropes. I've only used in half configuration for 2 pieces on 1 pitch (by mistake actually, but it'd have been a legit place). I've also belayed partners with halfs, it always seemed like a cluster f&*k.

justinboening

Dec 10, 2007, 6:38 PM
Post #14 of 33 (2375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paintrain] Another rope thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm advocating half ropes! I've been advocating half-ropes all along. My recommendations were the Fusions and Verglas, both half-ropes. And the Fusions are really durable, by the way. I'm only saying that there have been times when I wanted to clip both of my half-ropes into one piece for extra security, as if I was using twin-ropes. This is not an "either or" situation, here. Some half-ropes are certified for both usages, despite what "fingers" thinks. I've been objecting to "fingers's" ignorance and arrogance, not his opinion. In fact, the Beal lines that "fingers" recommended would also be a good rope, I think, because even though the Ice line isn't certified for twin use, their impact force is certainly low enough to keep the practice safe. They are, therefore, versatile in the way I would want them to be. The issue is not whether twin rope off more security over a single rope (event though they do), it's whether two half-ropes loaded over an edge is more secure than one. Is anyone really going to argue this fact? So yeah, clip the half-ropes as individual lines, but if you need the extra security, or the anchors are just bomber, clip them as twins. But in order to clip half-ropes as twins, you should probably buy a rope that's certified to be used in this way (choose one from the list I gave earlier, the list that "fingers" doesn't think exists). Do you understand what I'm saying now?

paintrain

Dec 10, 2007, 6:59 PM
Post #15 of 33 (2369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah. I was with you all along. He is wrong in his assertion about no crossovers. I just agree with him about doubles being the best value.

I think the edge cutting argument is a little light for twins - a loaded rope with a sharp edge, one or two strands it won't much matter if you whip onto it. I might favor a thicker rope at that point and one that is directed over another spot (double).

Versatility to rap with twins is better than a single line.

If it is sketchy, I would never opt for clipping two ropes to a single piece. I want the stretch if I blow it so that piece doesn't blow. The only time I would think differently is if it might cause me to hit a ledge, then I better have a good belayer as well.

I also like the doubles for alpine climbing and going really light, I can take 1. Another argument in favor of the double.

But like I said. Look at your general application and your budget. Ropes are expensive, especially two of them. Get the most bang for your buck for what you are doing.

PT

justinboening

Dec 10, 2007, 7:08 PM
Post #16 of 33 (2367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, we're on the same page.In regards to the twin and half ropes over an edge, I think the theory is that since one rope will almost invariably get loaded more than another, the system as a whole is more secure, although one of the two will probably get cut through completely. I can't really stand by this though. It's really just a theory until they can come up with a real world test.

ja1484

Dec 10, 2007, 7:26 PM
Post #17 of 33 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wmfork] Another rope thread... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
Umm, how about, however small one feels, twins does have a safety margin over single rope.

Same safety margin a 9-bolt anchor has over a 7-bolt anchor.

In reply to:
It give you full length rappel.

Can't really argue with that.

In reply to:
For the same rope, twin configuration will likely have a longer rope life.

No evidence for that whatsoever - in fact, I doubt it's true at all.

In reply to:
I don't ever recall one has to clip each strand to a separate biner with twins.

You don't have to clip any rope into any pro at all, but most people recognize that as pretty stupid as well.

Two ropes operating in close proximity are very prone to tangles and friction, not to mention running two ropes through a single biner makes tri-axial loading a realistic proposition! Let me guess...no one says you have to belay through the belay loop instead of the tie-ins!

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Redundancy is nice when you can get it, but is *not* always better.

In reply to:
Oh, and 2 strands do not double the impact force (higher, yes).

Typically not double in the real world, no, because the ropes do not equally share the loading due to whatever micro-difference in position and rock/gear friction/angle of fall/etc happens to be there this time. But the *worst case* scenario on twin ropes is double impact force, whatever the impact force may be, speaking purely about the math.

In reply to:
I've put 6000ft of rock on my half/twin ropes.

...That's about 4 or 5 days of climbing, depending on what type of climbing and exactly how long a "day" is. Am I supposed to mistake this for experience?

More pertinently to the discussion at hand, the OP is asking about rope use for Ice climbing. Got some ice mileage to tell him about?

In reply to:
I've only used in half configuration for 2 pieces on 1 pitch (by mistake actually, but it'd have been a legit place). I've also belayed partners with halfs, it always seemed like a cluster f&*k.

So you've accidentally misused your equipment while leading and gotten lucky, and aren't any good at belaying half-ropes. Confidence inspiring. Anything else to add?

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Dec 10, 2007, 7:27 PM)

ja1484

Dec 10, 2007, 7:30 PM
Post #18 of 33 (2344 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

paintrain wrote:
I think the edge cutting argument is a little light for twins - a loaded rope with a sharp edge, one or two strands it won't much matter if you whip onto it. I might favor a thicker rope at that point and one that is directed over another spot (double).

PT

I think I'd pad the edge or get the fuck off the route, pardon my French. If it cuts one rope in a whip, chances are it'll cut just about any rope(s) you care to put over it.

wmfork

Dec 10, 2007, 8:14 PM
Post #19 of 33 (2326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
wmfork wrote:
Umm, how about, however small one feels, twins does have a safety margin over single rope.

Same safety margin a 9-bolt anchor has over a 7-bolt anchor.
unless, of course, if you get sketched 1/2 up a 2000 ft route cause your rope has a core shot.

In reply to:
In reply to:
For the same rope, twin configuration will likely have a longer rope life.

No evidence for that whatsoever - in fact, I doubt it's true at all.
Twins have higher UIAA fall rating (than the same rope tested as double, and the only reason the number of falls isn't close to more than twice is doubles are tested with lighter mass), that much is indisputable. If you don't whip on them, then there probably won't be much difference.

In reply to:
In reply to:
I don't ever recall one has to clip each strand to a separate biner with twins.

You don't have to clip any rope into any pro at all, but most people recognize that as pretty stupid as well.

Two ropes operating in close proximity are very prone to tangles and friction, not to mention running two ropes through a single biner makes tri-axial loading a realistic proposition! Let me guess...no one says you have to belay through the belay loop instead of the tie-ins!
Which is why twins are used as identical pair with the same stretch property. Please demonstrate my "stupidity" by provide any actual testing or even manufacturer recommendation that each strand of twins needs to clip to a separate biner to be safe.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Oh, and 2 strands do not double the impact force (higher, yes).

Typically not double in the real world, no, because the ropes do not equally share the loading due to whatever micro-difference in position and rock/gear friction/angle of fall/etc happens to be there this time. But the *worst case* scenario on twin ropes is double impact force, whatever the impact force may be, speaking purely about the math.
Speaking purely of math, you are an idiot. It neither in lab testing nor practically double the impact force, not even close.

Blah, blah deleted...

ja1484

Dec 10, 2007, 8:44 PM
Post #20 of 33 (2310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wmfork wrote:
unless, of course, if you get sketched 1/2 up a 2000 ft route cause your rope has a core shot.

I'm gonna get sketched on *any* route above 20 ft. if my rope has a core shot.

In reply to:
Twins have higher UIAA fall rating (than the same rope tested as double, and the only reason the number of falls isn't close to more than twice is doubles are tested with lighter mass), that much is indisputable. If you don't whip on them, then there probably won't be much difference.

Exactly - most ropes are retired due to sheath wear and tear or loss of elasticity, not strength loss. UIAA falls are a very poor metric for durability - Sterling's Marathon ropes, for example, are "only" rated to 6 UIAA falls, yet due to the thicker sheath, seem to hold up to abuse longer.

In reply to:
Which is why twins are used as identical pair with the same stretch property. Please demonstrate my "stupidity" by provide any actual testing or even manufacturer recommendation that each strand of twins needs to clip to a separate biner to be safe.

As per Beal here:
http://www.bealplanet.com/...pe_corde&lang=us

It varies by situation, the primary concern being IMPACT FORCE (and, as already stated, in ice climbing, this is key).

The use of seperate carabiners is mainly espoused by the Long/Luebben school of rope use, and it's purpose is to distribute the increased impact force across more than one 'biner, but not over additional gear, so the nut (ice screw, etc.) better be bomber.

Also, as mentioned, it much reduces the chances of funky loading, friction, and tangles.

So again - you *could* clip em both through the same biner, but if you're going to bother, why not run a single line?

In reply to:
Speaking purely of math, you are an idiot. It neither in lab testing nor practically double the impact force, not even close.

You must have trouble reading. Go back and read that section again - worst case scenario mathematically, you're looking at double. This never happens in practice, just like lab-test factor two falls, because the lab is not the field and there are more factors than can be replicated in a test environment. Please don't get huffy if you can't multiply by 2 properly.

Beal states usually a ~25% increase above, which is still 25% more than necessary, and this is of course an average standard. It varies *every fall* due to differences in the position of the rope.

The point is, you can be more severe in terms of impact force than using a single line or halfs.

Let's recap:

Single Lines:
- Fine

Twin Lines:
- Every thing the single does with an insignificant increase in safety and a significant increase in impact force.

Half Lines:
- Same risks as twins if run together, but when run along seperate paths, allow for significant benefit re: rope drag without impact force worries.

Twin. Lines. Are. Pointless. Use a single line instead, halfs if the pro wanders.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Dec 10, 2007, 8:51 PM)

wmfork

Dec 10, 2007, 9:12 PM
Post #21 of 33 (2294 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
I'm gonna get sketched on *any* route above 20 ft. if my rope has a core shot.
Exactly, only if you are 1000 ft up a climb, you may be afforded some options with a bit of redundancy.

In reply to:
Exactly - most ropes are retired due to sheath wear and tear or loss of elasticity, not strength loss. UIAA falls are a very poor metric for durability - Sterling's Marathon ropes, for example, are "only" rated to 6 UIAA falls, yet due to the thicker sheath, seem to hold up to abuse longer.
As a comparison for different ropes, I'd tend to agree, but for different use of the same rope, I'd think it offers some evidence.

In reply to:
As per Beal here:
http://www.bealplanet.com/...pe_corde&lang=us

It varies by situation, the primary concern being IMPACT FORCE (and, as already stated, in ice climbing, this is key).

The use of seperate carabiners is mainly espoused by the Long/Luebben school of rope use, and it's purpose is to distribute the increased impact force across more than one 'biner, but not over additional gear, so the nut (ice screw, etc.) better be bomber.

Also, as mentioned, it much reduces the chances of funky loading, friction, and tangles.

So again - you *could* clip em both through the same biner, but if you're going to bother, why not run a single line?
Translation: you can't find anything to back it up. I already offered you many reasons to use twins over singles. The page from beal shows each strand to separate biner for doubles, but not so for twins.

In reply to:
You must have trouble reading. Go back and read that section again - worst case scenario, you're looking at double. This never happens, just like lab-test factor two falls, because the lab is not the field and there are more factors than can be replicated in a test environment. Please don't get huffy if you can't multiply by 2 properly.
So now you are saying lab test do not attempt to replicate "worse case scenario"? That you can, even theoretically, recreate a scenario where the fall force (of the same weight and fall factor) would be much HIGHER than tested?

justinboening

Dec 10, 2007, 9:18 PM
Post #22 of 33 (2292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you might be missing something, here. I don't think anybody's saying twin-ropes are better than half-ropes. I think the issue, at least for me, is that a half-rope is more easily cut than a single rope, so when you're in a situation where your half-rope could be loaded over an edge in the event of a fall, it's nice to be able to use your ropes as twin-ropes to increase the cut-resistance of your total rope system, even if it's only just for one piece on a pitch. Also, if you go by the numbers that Beal projects on the sight you directed us to, if clipped as twins, the Beal ice line would still have an impact force of less than 8kn in the UIAA test fall. Granted, those ropes are pretty exceptional, but I point it out to show how much variability there is, here.

wmfork

Dec 10, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #23 of 33 (2276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

justinboening wrote:
I think you might be missing something, here. I don't think anybody's saying twin-ropes are better than half-ropes. I think the issue, at least for me, is that a half-rope is more easily cut than a single rope, so when you're in a situation where your half-rope could be loaded over an edge in the event of a fall, it's nice to be able to use your ropes as twin-ropes to increase the cut-resistance of your total rope system, even if it's only just for one piece on a pitch. Also, if you go by the numbers that Beal projects on the sight you directed us to, if clipped as twins, the Beal ice line would still have an impact force of less than 8kn in the UIAA test fall. Granted, those ropes are pretty exceptional, but I point it out to show how much variability there is, here.
justinboening, I think you may have misread the site. Beal used to rate the ice line as both twin and half, but not anymore. The 8kn you read probably is the UIAA limit on half rope (although the ice line may very well be only 8kn as twins). The tell sign is that the Joker, with rating 8.2kn, 6kn, 9.5kn as single, double and twin.

Basically, if 2 strands double the impact force (i.e. for each strand, impact force is the same for 1/2 the weight), then impact force would only depend on fall factor, not weight. This clearly is false (and illustrated by Beal's data: 8.2kn for 80kg vs 6kn for 55kn).

I own the ice lines and I wish Beal had still published data for twin usage. But whatever it is, it should be quite a bit less than twice the impact of the double (since I weigh much less than 110kg), which would be 9.8kn, comfortably under the UIAA limit.

flint

Dec 10, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #24 of 33 (2267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
flint wrote:

j-
um, no.

Buy the doubles, do not use them as twins when climbing ice. Doubles and Twins are not inter-changeable in their useage techniques

8.1mm Beal Iceline

That's what I like. You'll figure out what you like, but only after dropping the coin and experiencing it for yourself for a season or two. It's the cost of an education.

To address the OP question I told him to buy a set that worked as both, to give him versatility as well as giving him an option that he might not of thought about.

I never said to use twins for ice...

Whether to use twins or halfs for ice, I think we can all agree and see on these posts that "Fingers" is correct in saying that doubles has the upper hand in that application.

Yes there are ropes that work as both, yes there are ropes certified for only one use. Deciding which use is appropriate is the job of the user.

j-

justinboening

Dec 10, 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #25 of 33 (2264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, that's exactly what I meant,less than 8kn when used as twins. I was responding to the other guy.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook