Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Bolts & Anchors on Brick Wall
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

poomasta

Dec 28, 2007, 4:04 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3289 views)
Shortcut

Bolts & Anchors on Brick Wall  (North_America: United_States: Georgia: Georgia_North: Currahee_Mountain)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We were at the Brick Wall yesterday and were surprised to find that pretty much every route there has been bolted and has anchors up top (with some of the nicest hardware i've seen!). Anyway, just thought I'd provide an update here since the dixie cragger's info is a bit out of date.

saxfiend

Dec 28, 2007, 5:29 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] Bolts & Anchors on Brick Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check over on the seclimbers.org message board; there's been an ongoing "discussion" on this same subject. Not sure any consensus was ever reached.

How's the Currahee road these days? I'm planning to climb there next month and would be interested in knowing if a car will make it to the top.

JL

rockclimber08

Dec 28, 2007, 6:17 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am going up for the first time on Monday, 31 Dec. How was your experience? Any advice?

poomasta

Dec 29, 2007, 3:17 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3188 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockclimber08] Bolts & Anchors on Brick Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It was our first time there as well. FYI, I think the dixie cragger's directions are off...we had to stop and ask a local in Toccoa. The dirt road to the top of Currahee was fine in a 2WD car.

The Brick Wall area was better than expected. It's small but sports a lot of routes with some interesting rock (onsighting is a bit harder as there are holds everywhere...with some much better than others; you can't tell until you get your hands on 'em tho). I thought "Pigs on a Wing" & "Dreams" were particularly good routes.

As for the slab area, we did Frictionary & Kemoslabee. I don't do much slab climbing, so they were pretty exciting leads...glad I didn't fall. While bolted, they are pretty run out (1st bolt on Fricitionary was prob 20 ft up). The other route I wanted to do, but we didn't get to, was Mikey's Mantle. Next time...

Coming from Atlanta, I'd say Currahee is worth a couple visits. It would also be a good area to take novices (easy top rope set up on Brick Wall and some easier routes on the slab area). It's a pretty heavily vandalized area but offers some nice vistas of the country (think Sand Rock).

rockclimber08

Dec 31, 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info!

jim_bob

Jun 1, 2011, 5:18 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry for the noobishness but that means there's sport climbing there now right?

clemsonscooby

Jun 2, 2011, 12:25 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jim_bob] Bolts & Anchors on Brick Wall [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Brick Wall does have a bunch of sport climbs. Meaning protected with only quickdraws.

The whole bolt thing at Currahee is a one man driven discussion by Crowder. His claim is that Power Flyer can be protected by gear, but this line actually wanders back and forth between Power Flyer and Pigs. Its a bad idea to chop those bolts as they will surely return. Nobody leads it on gear and nobody will if the bolts get chopped. The only thing it does is damage the resource. This discussion has passed long ago.

(This post was edited by clemsonscooby on Jun 2, 2011, 12:26 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook