RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

ecocliffchick

Jan 3, 2008, 6:32 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3608 views)
Shortcut

foot surgery anyone???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering if there are any climbers out there that have undergone surgery for their Hallux Abducto Valgus (bunions)?

How long were you off your feet?
How long 'till you could climb again?
Any other negatives (reduced toe mobility? inability to toe into pockets?)

I'm contemplating surgery but would like to hear your stories!

It's been about a month since I've been able to go climbing (can't even put on climbing shoe), and about two years that I've been avoiding the inside edge of my right foot.

Any recommends for podiatrists that understand the needs of climbers would be greatly appreciated too (I'm in Toronto)

Thanks!!!

monkeychild

Jan 4, 2008, 1:38 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3580 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecocliffchick] foot surgery anyone??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have not had that surgery. However, if it is preventing you from climbing altogether, how could the surgery make that situation any worse? My dad has had the surgery, and he no longer has any problems. I don't remember the details because i was really young.
-monkeychild

dellochef

Jan 4, 2008, 3:45 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3557 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

monkeychild is totally right. Could it get worse? And one day you will have to do it anyway. A friend of mine has done the same and is very happy about the results.

maryb

Jan 5, 2008, 2:10 AM
Post #4 of 6 (3538 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had surgery for Hallux RIgidus - bone spurs -- on the big toe joint. Cant speak to bunions, al though my sister had bunion surgery and was on her feet quickly. But she swims, not climbs.

Surgery for hallux rigidus was basic chielectomy (sp). Out patient. Pain for 2 days. I just took advil after the second day, not Rx meds.

I used crutches for about 10 days. Normal walking etc after that. Work and mild hiking within 2months.
I think I was in my climbing shoe within 2-3 months; Dr said I could do as much activity as I could tolerate the pain. I gym climbed, favoring that joint.

A year later, I dont notice it, ok occaisional soreness BUT
I am very happy I did it. The PAIN before was almost constant, interrupted sleep, and was intense always the day after climbing. Or hiking. Or walking, or....
I am in so much less pain now.

I went to an orthopaedic surgeoin witha rep for toe and foot work. The podiatrist I consulted a year before had wanted to do a much more invasive and involved surgery. I think that would have been unnecessary. This surgery was very simple.

Good luck.

crankyclimber

Jul 17, 2008, 1:26 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maryb] foot surgery anyone??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got done having bunion surgery. It was a very minor bunion that only caused pain when climbing. My doctor said 4 weeks before climbing. At the post op visit he said 4-6 weeks. It has been 5 weeks and no way I can climb. I have pain after hiking 1 mile now. I think I'll need 2 months to recover total. Doctor was way off on his estimation. I think he was just trying to sell me on the surgery.
My hyusband's ex had bunion surgery on both feet with pins. She couldn't climb for a year! After that, her feet were larger and she still was uncomfortable.
I'd recommend the surgery but just realize you will need months to recover, not weeks. I mean recover enough to climb. If I wasn't athletic, I'd be fine now.

vector

Jul 17, 2008, 2:48 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3217 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crankyclimber] foot surgery anyone??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted top thank the OPer and those that posted up for the info. I have not even gone to the Dr. about my feet yet, but I am pretty sure it is in my near future.

My right foot is a full size bigger than my left and I think it has developed a bunion due to being stuffed in a way too small climbing shoe for too long. I basically can not bear weight on my the front of my right big toe and have come up with ways to climb without putting weight there!

Switched to Evolve and their split sizing option, which is a great improvement. But the damage is done...

Any more experiences with climbing and bunions would be great to hear. Thanks again to those who have posted up!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook