RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jim23

Jan 17, 2008, 11:15 PM
Post #1 of 18 (1467 views)
Shortcut

need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking for a simple binding to go on some ~1m skis to use for skiing down fire roads in New England, mellow snowfields, etc.

I know Kong has their Grimper skiis of comparable length, but it seems the binding is quite heavy (as it has tour/climb modes, etc)- the rig weighs ~8lbs. i heard of a European ultralight mountaineering binding like this from Sk'alp, but alas it is not available in the USA and the company does not reply to my emails in my best French...

Is anyone familiar with a mountaineering binding like this available in the USA (Silvretta=overkill, too expensive/heavy for what I am after)? Has anyone had success modifying a tele binding or making something from scratch with a toe bail and heel clamp drilled into the ski (kind of lie the 'Bigfoot' skis)?

Thanks for any info or ideas!

ryanb

Jan 17, 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #2 of 18 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jim23] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.marmotoutlet.com/MMWmain.asp?Option=Detail&StyleID=10006365

haven't tried them though ...

jgivens

Jan 18, 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #3 of 18 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am facing the same problem; Silvrettas are too expensive. I was considering these:

http://www.pikamtn.com/7wintergear.htm

but still expensive.

summerprophet

Jan 18, 2008, 2:17 AM
Post #4 of 18 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you said no silvretta's but what about the old 400's or 404's. They are low profile and fairly light. You should be able to find them used pretty cheap.

Otherwise, keep your eyes open for an old pair of snowboard hardboot bindings. If you go this method, you will have to do some mods to the bindings to adapt them to your boots.

Partner epoch

Jan 18, 2008, 2:18 AM
Post #5 of 18 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do what I did and put some $$ aside and get a proper off piste setup. You won't regret it.

jim23

Jan 18, 2008, 4:03 AM
Post #6 of 18 (1398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Do what I did and put some $$ aside and get a proper off piste setup. You won't regret it.
Actually I have some skis w/fritschi AT bindings and some scarpa AT boots- I'm not looking for off-piste skiing per se, just fast, efficient, lightweight transportation down from peak climbs!

thanks for the tips all. =)

hacksaw

Jan 18, 2008, 4:08 AM
Post #7 of 18 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jim23 wrote:
Actually I have some skis w/fritschi AT bindings and some scarpa AT boots- I'm not looking for off-piste skiing per se, just fast, efficient, lightweight transportation down from peak climbs!

Then why did you ask? What you got will be a hell of a lot "faster," then some stupid little 1 meter firn skis...

Partner epoch

Jan 18, 2008, 4:14 AM
Post #8 of 18 (1395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hacksaw] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hacksaw wrote:
jim23 wrote:

Then why did you ask? What you got will be a hell of a lot "faster," then some stupid little 1 meter firn skis...

exactly...

If I'm climbing something that I will potentially be skiing off of I do it in my AT boots. I've got the same control in them as I do alpine boots, plus I also have the ability to crank some turns on the way down.

The alternative is glissading. Just be sure to remove them crampons.Wink

geogoddess

Jan 18, 2008, 4:22 AM
Post #9 of 18 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dynafit TLT

stymingersfink

Jan 18, 2008, 4:49 AM
Post #10 of 18 (1376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
Dynafit TLT

[image]http://static.backcountry.com/images/items/medium/DNF0006/WOB.jpg[/image]
those won't work with the boots he's talking about babe...

I would guess he's looking for a binding that will accommodate a plastic mountaineering boot. Silveretta is pretty much the standard for that kind of work. There may be another company that makes a binding which will work with mountaineering boots, but they're not coming to mind right now...

not all mountaineering bindings are heavy, nor are they cheap. You might start at the consignment section of your local mountaineering gear store, various BBS For Sale/Wanted threads, or EBay. Gear swaps are a good place too, but not if you want them right now... most of the swaps happen in the fall, near the beginning of the season!

jim23

Jan 18, 2008, 3:32 PM
Post #11 of 18 (1360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
hacksaw wrote:
jim23 wrote:

exactly...

If I'm climbing something that I will potentially be skiing off of I do it in my AT boots. I've got the same control in them as I do alpine boots, plus I also have the ability to crank some turns on the way down.

The alternative is glissading. Just be sure to remove them crampons.Wink

Guys- AT boots are much much heavier than my custom-fitted plastics (4lbs 3 oz per boot vs. ~4.5 lbs for the pair of my plastics!) and climb no where near as well. I also do not want to carry 10lbs of skis+bindings on my back during the ascent. I'm out for climbing and mountaineering- not trying to get elevation so I can carve turns on the way down. Just looking for something light to attach my little skis to my climbing boots so I can glide down easy terrain more rapidly. =)

silvrettas are typically what my friends use, but I would be perfectly satisfied with a non-releasable binding without the hardware for a touring mode- hardware that comprises much of the weight and cost in silvretta bindings. the sk'alp bindings are perfect but I can't seem to find them- they weight less than a pound so my little skis and a binding such as that would be ~5lbs total.

in summary:
5lb shorts skis + 4.5lb climbing boots will climb better and be lighter and meet my skiing needs vs. almost 20 lbs for AT rig which will hinder me on the climb (the most important part for me!) and be overkill for the terrain I want to descend (which isn't steep enough to glissade btw).

Sorry if I was not clear about what I was looking for- thanks anyway for the suggestions!

jgloporto

Jan 18, 2008, 4:14 PM
Post #12 of 18 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jim23 wrote:
epoch wrote:

Karhu Meta or Karver skis. For 200 bucks you get light weight stubbies with universal bindings. I like 'em.

stymingersfink

Jan 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #13 of 18 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, one thing that kind of got me into the whole skiing thing was easy-garaded approaches to climbs up a snow-covered road in Maple.

The first time, I borrowed a pair of tele skis with an old chouinard binding on it, set the springs heavy and off I went. As long as I didn't try to turn too sharply, the toe welt would stay under the toe-piece pretty o.k., and they worked just fine on the hike up. You've gotta understand though that this was a FS grade road, so not too steep. I would think that with a little ingenuity and some mechanical prowess one could probably design something on the fairly cheap that would work passably well, provided one was looking for a better way to get around than snow-shoes and not down anything too knarly.

Best of luck on your problem.

maldaly

Jan 18, 2008, 11:58 PM
Post #14 of 18 (1307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jm23, I get what you're trying to do. Kneissl used to make a stubby ski with clip bindings for just this purpose. Neptune's used to carry them and Clyde may still have some around.
Mal

jim23

Jan 19, 2008, 5:19 AM
Post #15 of 18 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maldaly] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maldaly wrote:
jm23, I get what you're trying to do. Kneissl used to make a stubby ski with clip bindings for just this purpose. Neptune's used to carry them and Clyde may still have some around.
Mal
ya I used to live in Boulder and I recall seeing them in the shop in the mid-90s or so- 'big foot' skis iirc... I inquired about the shop special ordering the sk'alp ultralight mountaineering bindings- they went for ~$100 in Europe but Neptune's was quoting me $350 for the order- I balked. don't seem to be available now, but I was broke then and just could not afford it!

jim23

Jan 19, 2008, 5:24 AM
Post #16 of 18 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
well, one thing that kind of got me into the whole skiing thing was easy-garaded approaches to climbs up a snow-covered road in Maple.

The first time, I borrowed a pair of tele skis with an old chouinard binding on it, set the springs heavy and off I went. As long as I didn't try to turn too sharply, the toe welt would stay under the toe-piece pretty o.k., and they worked just fine on the hike up. You've gotta understand though that this was a FS grade road, so not too steep. I would think that with a little ingenuity and some mechanical prowess one could probably design something on the fairly cheap that would work passably well, provided one was looking for a better way to get around than snow-shoes and not down anything too knarly.

Best of luck on your problem.

I've seen some friends do that as well if i recall- maybe I will try and find an old tele binding- just hope it doesn't chew up the welt of my boots too much... thanks for the tip!

mrtristan

Jan 19, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #17 of 18 (1244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have a pair similar to these that I got off of ebay and I use them for exactly what you're talking about.

Just search ebay for "snow blades" and lots of things will pop up.

jim23

Jan 19, 2008, 7:50 PM
Post #18 of 18 (1222 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrtristan] need light, simple ski bindings for my plastics [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mrtristan wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I have a pair similar to these that I got off of ebay and I use them for exactly what you're talking about.

Just search ebay for "snow blades" and lots of things will pop up.
cool! the bindings fit on plastic mountaineering boots?

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook