Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
The Best General Guide to Europe
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

elwood54

Jan 19, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #1 of 4 (4717 views)
Shortcut

The Best General Guide to Europe  (Europe: France)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys,

In my search for a general climbing guide to all of Europe, I've come across three books. I was hoping that some of you could offer some reviews/advice on which one is the best to pick up before planning a trip. Thanks.

Falcon Guide:
http://www.backcountrygear.com/...essdetail.cfm/FAL105

Rock Climbing Atlas:
http://www.rockclimbingatlas.com/

Finally (looks kinda weird):
http://www.chesslerbooks.com/...em.asp?idProduct=846

Thanks again.

Mike

JohnCook

Jan 19, 2008, 7:01 PM
Post #2 of 4 (4709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elwood54] The Best General Guide to Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Jingo Wobbly Guide is very useful in giving outline details of crag, rock type, climbing type and grade. It also gives good info on definitive guides and where to buy them. It would be a huge book if it included every boulder, crag and mountain in Europe, but it does give a good overview and is a good place to start. My copy has been passed around numerous friends, many of whom have planned their holidays round it, and then bought locally a definitive guide (or bought one on the net) to enable them to climb at their chosen grade.
If you are going to Europe, have a good holiday, and remember although it is smaller than the US, it almost certainly has many more routes to climb, in many styles and on many types and sub-types of rock, in every grade.

elwood54

Jan 19, 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #3 of 4 (4691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JohnCook] The Best General Guide to Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks John. Has anyone else seen copies of the other books? Thanks.

-Mike

kimbill

Jan 20, 2008, 8:35 PM
Post #4 of 4 (4670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elwood54] The Best General Guide to Europe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can second JohnCook's endorsement of the Jingo Wobbly Guide. It's probably available through Amazon, and certainly through Amazon UK.

Books are so easy to use! Imagine, all that information crammed into a few pages. You just sit down and thumb through it, effortlessly gliding from Spain to Switzerland with a stopoff in Bulgaria. It's so much easier to use than the clunky internet alternative of search engines, and thousands of hits that have to be sifted through.

That said, if you want information while waiting for the book to come in the mail, and you have the time and patience to fool with internet searches, there is quite a lot on the web:

For France, you can get a lot of general information from the www.cosiroc.org website. It is in French and English; some knowledge of French geography and language can make the site easier to use.

The www.rockfax.com website can be helpful too, especially for the UK, Spain, Italy and Greece. Be prepared to pay for downloads of detailed guides to specific areas.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook