Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Homestead hum
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

bodytag

Jan 15, 2008, 4:20 PM
Post #1 of 10 (4301 views)
Shortcut

Homestead hum  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Central: Homestead)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well there was a ton of activity this past weekend out at the Homestead. The Mouse Wall now has 13 routes on it. I am still waiting to see the bolters chime in and report all that went down. I know of at least 5 new routes put up on the MW in the past couple weeks. I also think there was activity down on Slate. The drills were humming for sure though.

sonso45

Jan 19, 2008, 6:56 PM
Post #2 of 10 (4257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bodytag] Homestead hum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for all your efforts. Has the road gotten worse?

lvpyne

Jan 19, 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #3 of 10 (4251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sonso45] Homestead hum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The road seems to alternate in "better" or "worse". Six weeks ago, it was a nightmare -- three weeks ago it was the best I've ever seen it.

Can't wait to check out the new, new routes.... Smile

aerili

Jan 20, 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #4 of 10 (4222 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was there last weekend.... I drove straight through the shitty part and didn't even realize it was the shitty part until no more shitty parts came along.

Now, I do realize that coming back down is always worse than going up on that road...

sonso45

Jan 20, 2008, 3:22 PM
Post #5 of 10 (4202 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Homestead hum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did it look like the road had been improved? Maybe you've become an accomplished off-roader by going up and down it so often!
'

kyote321

Jan 20, 2008, 4:16 PM
Post #6 of 10 (4191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bodytag] Homestead hum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the road update. i've got an element with awd and about 11'' clearance. is that enough?

bin thinking of making the drive from burque for years. the rock looks great.

bodytag

Jan 21, 2008, 5:06 PM
Post #7 of 10 (4162 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Homestead hum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I can never really tell...I guess it's all in the skill level of the driver. I did get some wheel slipage going in this last time which has never happened before, it was right at the crux turn. humm..

aerili

Jan 21, 2008, 5:30 PM
Post #8 of 10 (4150 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think it's been improved, but actually I haven't been there enough to be for sure. It seemed like there was less wash-out on the left side as you go in.

I am not even skilled in 4x4 driving, either, but I guess I'm a natural!!! Tongue

As for the guy who has the Element.... I don't know exactly the difference between AWD and 4x4, but I don't think it's the same. You will probably definitely scrape quite a bit on the way back down that road. Your car/tires may take a small beating on the way up, too. The ruts are still pretty deep. I only rode in an Element once on a road trip, so I don't know its capabilities, but it didn't seem like the ideal off road vehicle. The tires are very small and don't have the right lugs. However, I'm sure it's possible to get up there regardless.

jt512

Jan 21, 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #9 of 10 (4142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Homestead hum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
I think it's been improved, but actually I haven't been there enough to be for sure. It seemed like there was less wash-out on the left side as you go in.

I am not even skilled in 4x4 driving, either, but I guess I'm a natural!!! Tongue

As for the guy who has the Element.... I don't know exactly the difference between AWD and 4x4, but I don't think it's the same. You will probably definitely scrape quite a bit on the way back down that road. Your car/tires may take a small beating on the way up, too. The ruts are still pretty deep. I only rode in an Element once on a road trip, so I don't know its capabilities, but it didn't seem like the ideal off road vehicle. The tires are very small and don't have the right lugs. However, I'm sure it's possible to get up there regardless.

FWIW, we got in alright a couple seasons ago in a Honda CRV with AWD. The AWD was sufficient, but we didn't quite have the necessary clearance, and the undercarriage took a bit of a beating. Our driver admits that that might have been her fault, though.

Jay

roadstead

Jan 27, 2008, 4:51 PM
Post #10 of 10 (4050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sonso45 wrote:
thanks for all your efforts. Has the road gotten worse?

I just got back from spending 7 days and the road has gotten worse from May 07. (the last time I was there) But there has been more people driving in on it even though it's worse.
In the last three weeks 5 new routes have gone in on the Mouse Wall and two new projects on other Walls.

The Homestead has been humming!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook