Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Mar 12, 2008, 8:10 PM
Post #76 of 234 (5547 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Now that I think about it I pretty much stopped using ovals for my aiders the last two aid projects I did. Using a large D affords my knuckles more room away from the rock and I went to a 1/3 aider system, with one aider on each daisy (when daisies are used) and a 3rd sub aider as a clip in. The clip in aider goes on the main biner of whatever aider is on the top piece, rather than through the top piece. I found that system to be far better for my light-weight aid projects than the old 2 and 2 business. A lot of times the 3rd aider just isn't necessary.

ANYWAY....

DMT

no_email_entered

Mar 12, 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #77 of 234 (5543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
The pin does not interlock with the hook under tension period.

You've clearly never done much aid climbing. I can get the pin to engage the hook on most biners merely by weighting the thing with my body and a full wall rack plus rope drag. Cannot open the damn biner till I take some weight off it. Somewhhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 pounds if memory serves.

DMT

hell, pick up just about any biner and pull with your bare hands. yea thats right. your eyes didnt fool you. the gate/notch moves---

---now how safe do you nancies feel.

---better go back to knittin.

majid_sabet

Mar 12, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #78 of 234 (5541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
dingus wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
The pin does not interlock with the hook under tension period.

You've clearly never done much aid climbing. I can get the pin to engage the hook on most biners merely by weighting the thing with my body and a full wall rack plus rope drag. Cannot open the damn biner till I take some weight off it. Somewhhere in the neighborhood of 300-400 pounds if memory serves.

DMT

hell, pick up just about any biner and pull with your bare hands. yea thats right. your eyes didnt fool you. the gate/notch moves---

---now how safe do you nancies feel.

---better go back to knittin.

Does it interlock the same way when you take a fall with load been applied in all direction ?

dingus

Mar 12, 2008, 8:33 PM
Post #79 of 234 (5531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't give this shit a moment's thought while climbing, myself. I think fall factors and all that other physics horseshit serve no daily practical purpose in climbing. Sure its important to design and it instructs us to place pro often but calculating biner strength and fall factors and impact forces SERVES NO USEFUL PURPOSE to the average climber.

Its just shit to talk about on the internet mostly.

DMT

clintcummins

Mar 12, 2008, 9:23 PM
Post #80 of 234 (5508 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
The pin-hook engagement design on the oval biner apparently is the best and make it superior to all the other biner out there and this due to fact that during tensioning phase, the load ( B) is evenly divided along the both side ( A) of the biner .
I don't agree. The pin-hook engagement on the D is just fine. The graphs in the MIT study show it taking hold. Also the youtube videos by BreakOTron show the pin and hook engaged and the plastic deformation.

You claimed that the BreakOTron testing rig is invalid, but it looks the same as the MIT and UIAA ones to me. You might be confused by the red shackle on the lower part of the BreakOTron testing rig. It may look like it has an oversized diameter. But I can assure you it is a standard diameter (same as the top link in their rig). There is just an oversized part of the shackle which surrounds the standard diameter pin/bolt. The pin/bolt is what loads the biner.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZyVD0FBLiFQ

majid_sabet wrote:
However, the oval biner are weaker and have lower KN than r D shape biner cause the strongest part of the biner is along the axis line (C) but when oval biners are loaded , the forces are applied away from the axis line and more in center.
Agreed. Essentially, Ovals undergo more plastic deformation and fail a little sooner than Ds when the gate is closed (and a lot sooner when the gate is open).

majid_sabet wrote:
When D shape biners are loaded, majority of forces are applied in one side causing the lower part of the biner (D) to bend in an angle. Since the gate side of the biner is not fixed and has a gap (between pin and hook), the hook side (F) also move to an angle of its own causing the pin or the hook to not engage or even if they engage, they would pop out.
This theory/story is not consistent with the basic testing of biners. The hook does engage (at least on those 2002 model Black Diamond Light Ds!) - see the MIT graphs. If the hook never engaged, the closed gate and open gate strengths would be equal, as many others have stated.

http://web.mit.edu/...gue_Presentation.pdf

majid_sabet wrote:
This problem becomes even worse when the applied tension on a “D” shape biner moves away from the axis line and stay in the middle on the biner or closer to the gate side.
Agreed. This can be called "cross loading". It can happen in ovals as well. If you set up the loading in just the wrong direction, you could probably get the biner to distort without the pin engaging the notch on some models. But it would take a testing rig with 3 load points, or some other way to keep the biner from rotating while you apply outward force on the nose, just above the notch. It won't happen on a standard testing rig with 2 pins/shackles.

Majid,

I think your concerns about pin-hook engagement are interesting, but they do not appear to be supported by the actual evidence, at least in what has been presented in this thread:

1. The very first photo of the bentgate biner in a quickdraw, with plastic distortion so that the gate is sprung out from the opposite side of the nose.

Explanation: we do not know if this was a gate-open or gate-closed load. Most likely, gate open. You can distort a biner like this yourself - clip it to something, open the gate, and put a sling directly over the nose. Then bounce on the sling with your body weight. People used to do this to the old Salewa Robbins ovals - they would open right up.

2. UIAA video, first biner test. Gate springs open past nose.

http://www.theuiaa.org/act_safety.html

Explanation: notch was blocked from engagement with clear tape.

3. UIAA video, second biner test. Gate springs open past nose.

Explanation: footage starts with biner already loaded and enough plastic distortion so that the pin is past the notch. Most likely, the gate was held open until this point, or the biner was already distorted before the test started.

4. Photo of tested biner from Black Diamond website, with gate sprung past nose.

(click on image to view full size version)

Explanation: it was a gate-open test (explained in their text).

5. You claimed that if the pin-hook is engaged, we should see failures of the pin or hook. But apparently we don't see these on the web, except for the crack problem from the past which Dingus mentioned.

Explanation: in the MIT experiments, the break always occurs near the axis side, not on the pin-hook. This happens because that is where the most plastic distortion is occurring (this is probably an oversimplification - they state their finite-element analysis predicts that spot). This also means the pin and notch are properly designed, so that they are not the weak point.

Your concerns about pin-hook engagement do show that you realize the gate-open vs. gate-closed strength is important. However, recommending ovals over Ds for strength is a poor choice, as ovals have a lower gate-open strength. Ovals are preferred by some people for aid climbing, because they can handle weight shifting from one biner to another more smoothly (when two aider biners are clipped into the bottom of an oval, for example).

Also, your analysis is generally incomplete and you do not relate your theories to the facts very well. So I hope you do not attempt to design and produce any equipment that would be used by others.

In general, I would advise presenting your concerns with less confidence. For example, you could ask a question about why something is failing, and present a "possible explanation", rather than what appears to be a "definite explanation." That way, you can have an interesting idea, and get some feedback without feeling bad if your theory is corrected by others. Another way of saying this is that skepticism is OK, but to use it well, you have to apply it to your own judgements.

(This post was edited by clintcummins on Mar 13, 2008, 12:18 AM)

no_email_entered

Mar 12, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #81 of 234 (5496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Does it interlock the same way when you take a fall with load been applied in all direction ?

Laugh

AeroXan

Mar 14, 2008, 6:37 AM
Post #82 of 234 (5411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think gr4t nailed the point. the pin is crucial. it should be weaker than a strait section of biner under a tension load. however, because on most modern biners the load is moved to the spine to concentrate the load on the spine and reduce the bending load. bending loads are typically difficult to support with nice sleek compact shapes. the lever arm to the elbows is reduced by putting the loads closer to the spine. because the gate and pin are farther from the spine, their lever arm is further and greatly reduces the bending load on the elbows. this is why biners are so many times stronger closed than open.

Also, i saw something about plastic deformation. this is called creep. when a material is deformed elastically, the strain increases nearly linearly with load. in elastic deformation, the material returns to its original shape. in plastic deformation, the material retains (most of) its deformed shape. creep occurs above a certain stress level. this is where the material deforms nearly elastically then returns to a slightly deformed state with the load released.

The above is a theory, i don't have experimental or numerical proof to back it up. i do have some engineering background however, but further analysis testing would solidify the above theory.

I was also wondering if anyone knew how most biners are made. i know DMM forges their biners which i think is spiffy. are most biners made from some kind of strait stock that is bent to shape?

majid_sabet

Mar 14, 2008, 7:24 AM
Post #83 of 234 (5404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AeroXan] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AeroXan wrote:
I think gr4t nailed the point. the pin is crucial. it should be weaker than a strait section of biner under a tension load. however, because on most modern biners the load is moved to the spine to concentrate the load on the spine and reduce the bending load. bending loads are typically difficult to support with nice sleek compact shapes. the lever arm to the elbows is reduced by putting the loads closer to the spine. because the gate and pin are farther from the spine, their lever arm is further and greatly reduces the bending load on the elbows. this is why biners are so many times stronger closed than open.

Also, i saw something about plastic deformation. this is called creep. when a material is deformed elastically, the strain increases nearly linearly with load. in elastic deformation, the material returns to its original shape. in plastic deformation, the material retains (most of) its deformed shape. creep occurs above a certain stress level. this is where the material deforms nearly elastically then returns to a slightly deformed state with the load released.

The above is a theory, i don't have experimental or numerical proof to back it up. i do have some engineering background however, but further analysis testing would solidify the above theory.

I was also wondering if anyone knew how most biners are made. i know DMM forges their biners which i think is spiffy. are most biners made from some kind of strait stock that is bent to shape?

Most biners are made in similar format from 7000 series aircraft quality aluminum.

trenchdigger

Mar 14, 2008, 3:48 PM
Post #84 of 234 (5383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AeroXan] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AeroXan wrote:

Creep is a subset of plastic deformation that occurs in some materials. Put simply, it is plastic deformation that occurs at loads below the yield strength of the material. Aluminum - especially the types used in carabiners - is relatively resistant to creep.

AeroXan wrote:
I was also wondering if anyone knew how most biners are made. i know DMM forges their biners which i think is spiffy. are most biners made from some kind of strait stock that is bent to shape
Most (all?) carabiners are forged. Some are hot forged and others cold forged.

What exactly is forging? Here's some basic info from wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forging

trenchdigger

Mar 14, 2008, 4:00 PM
Post #85 of 234 (5381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Most biners are made in similar format from 7000 series aircraft quality aluminum.

That's nice fluff that sounds cool. Care to explain what it means to the lay-man?

majid_sabet

Mar 14, 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #86 of 234 (5363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

That's nice fluff that sounds cool. Care to explain what it means to the lay-man?

No, go research it yourself and find out what I mean.

majid_sabet

Mar 14, 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #87 of 234 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dingus

not realted to our topic here but interesting to read.

http://www.bstorage.com/...o/carab/agecarab.htm

trenchdigger

Mar 14, 2008, 6:15 PM
Post #88 of 234 (5349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

But you're the certified aircraft mechanic. I'm just a n00b.

majid_sabet

Mar 14, 2008, 6:28 PM
Post #89 of 234 (5347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Yapp, Graduated from Northrop Institute of Technology in 1986 with GPA of 3.25

trenchdigger

Mar 14, 2008, 6:30 PM
Post #90 of 234 (5342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Then you should have no problem answering the question, right?

dingus

Mar 14, 2008, 6:30 PM
Post #91 of 234 (5342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Dingus

not realted to our topic here but interesting to read.

http://www.bstorage.com/...o/carab/agecarab.htm

Caving biners. I saw that article. Canyoneering offers the prospect of truly bogus gear too.

The shit I've seen in some caves is frightening.

DMT

majid_sabet

Mar 14, 2008, 7:05 PM
Post #92 of 234 (5333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Then you should have no problem answering the question, right?

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Mar 14, 2008, 9:06 PM)

trenchdigger

Mar 14, 2008, 7:25 PM
Post #93 of 234 (5322 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Trench

I know what you are trying to do. You are trying interrogate me in front of the RC member of the juries by cross examining some of the stuff I have said in here to prove that MS is wrong which I do not mind as long as you support your pervious statements. Now, to help you out of this miserable situation, why do not you just take the leadership and buddy up with the rest of wabbit bashing party and take this matter one step farther to the RC management and ask them to completely delete this post cause you do not see any reliable data to satisfy you.

Don't cry, dude... I just wanted to know what 'aircraft quality aluminum' is. I guess you can't answer that.

Back to the original point then...

Have you any comments on the stress-strain plots I linked that show that gate contact increases the slope of the stress-strain curve by a factor of three? Is that not enough evidence to show that the gate of the carabiner significantly impacts the strength of the carabiner?

majid_sabet

Mar 14, 2008, 9:04 PM
Post #94 of 234 (5296 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Trench

I know what you are trying to do. You are trying interrogate me in front of the RC member of the juries by cross examining some of the stuff I have said in here to prove that MS is wrong which I do not mind as long as you support your pervious statements. Now, to help you out of this miserable situation, why do not you just take the leadership and buddy up with the rest of wabbit bashing party and take this matter one step farther to the RC management and ask them to completely delete this post cause you do not see any reliable data to satisfy you.

Don't cry, dude... I just wanted to know what 'aircraft quality aluminum' is. I guess you can't answer that.

Have you any comments on the stress-strain plots I linked that show that gate contact increases the slope of the stress-strain curve by a factor of three? Is that not enough evidence to show that the gate of the carabiner significantly impacts the strength of the carabiner?

You already know what AC quality aluminums are therefore; I see no point of trying to explain or cover the area because it is to related to this particular topic.

As far as how strong the gate is or it can, well you make the gate as strong as its possible by using other materials such as different compound or other metals like Titanium but still, the two pins on the side of the gate and the hook on the biner side dictates how strong the gate is . You can modify the hook to engage with the pin and do a perfect direct pull test where you know for sure that you got 100% hook-pin engagement but I will guarantee you that biner gate will fail due to following causes;

1- Broken pin at the either side of the gate
2- By a crack at the hinge side of the gate which causes the gate to come off
3- Or by broken hook.

g_i_g_i

Mar 14, 2008, 9:15 PM
Post #95 of 234 (5290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
IMO, the notch (hook) design should be shaped much like what is shown on image A than B assuming you do not cut too much from the side of the hook.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8813/screenhunter001iw7.jpg[/IMG]

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/525/screenhunter002qz5.jpg[/IMG]

During static loads the spring makes your proposed modification useless.

During dynamic loads, you modification would prevent the nasty effects of gate flutter, only if the gate tries to snap open after the carabiner has stretched enough for the hook to prevent the pin from getting dislodged. I don't know if this would be the case, in most gate flutter events.

trenchdigger

Mar 14, 2008, 9:42 PM
Post #96 of 234 (5280 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

trenchdigger wrote:

You already know what AC quality aluminums are therefore; I see no point of trying to explain or cover the area because it is to related to this particular topic.
Actually I don't. It has no definition.

As a self proclaimed aircraft maintenance expert, I would expect you to know that "aircraft aluminum" is nothing more than a catch phrase that companies use to make their products sound cool. They usually use the word in reference to high strength/corrosion resistant 6000 or 7000 series aluminum alloys common in aircraft structures. What they don't realize is that many different kinds of aluminum alloys are used in aircraft parts depending on the desired material properties of the component. Based on that, you could call just about any alloy of aluminum "aircraft aluminum". As a certified aircraft mechanic you should know that this is a phrase used primarily in marketing and rarely if ever in relation to anything truly aircraft related.

majid_sabet wrote:
As far as how strong the gate is or it can, well you make the gate as strong as its possible by using other materials such as different compound or other metals like Titanium but still, the two pins on the side of the gate and the hook on the biner side dictates how strong the gate is . You can modify the hook to engage with the pin and do a perfect direct pull test where you know for sure that you got 100% hook-pin engagement but I will guarantee you that biner gate will fail due to following causes;

1- Broken pin at the either side of the gate
2- By a crack at the hinge side of the gate which causes the gate to come off
3- Or by broken hook.
Hold on here, you're getting off track. Let's refer back to your original postulation...

majid_sabet wrote:
The way I see it, the pin and the little hook do nothing. Basically, they are both worthless and I am pretty confident that, this is the biggest Screw-up in the history of climbing gear design and yet, manufactures are still making them with the same problem

The pin does not interlock with the hook under tension period. If the hook is there to stop the gate from bending backward (extend travel) then they could just cut the notch and keep the hook straight like a regular Chinese key chain biners .
Are you still standing by this assertion? The stress-strain plots I referred to prove otherwise.

trenchdigger

Mar 14, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #97 of 234 (5279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [g_i_g_i] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

g_i_g_i wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
IMO, the notch (hook) design should be shaped much like what is shown on image A than B assuming you do not cut too much from the side of the hook.

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8813/screenhunter001iw7.jpg[/IMG]

[URL=http://imageshack.us][IMG]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/525/screenhunter002qz5.jpg[/IMG]

During static loads the spring makes your proposed modification useless.

During dynamic loads, you modification would prevent the nasty effects of gate flutter, only if the gate tries to snap open after the carabiner has stretched enough for the hook to prevent the pin from getting dislodged. I don't know if this would be the case, in most gate flutter events.

Not to mention that after significant loading (like a high fall-factor fall) you'd end up with a plastically deformed carabiner that would be locked shut because the pin would no longer clear the notch.

(This post was edited by trenchdigger on Mar 14, 2008, 9:45 PM)

majid_sabet

Mar 14, 2008, 9:57 PM
Post #98 of 234 (5271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [g_i_g_i] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trench

Answer me this

What is the purpose of the lock on a locking-biner ?

A-is to stop gate flutter
B- To prevent the gate/hook misalignment
c- I do not know what to say
D other reason like.......................

irregularpanda

Mar 14, 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #99 of 234 (5264 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Trench

Answer me this

first: I'm not trenchdigger.
second: this is condescending.
third: when a lock is in place, flutter would be impossible, hence forcing the gate/hook into alignment.
fourth: what are you trying to prove at this point? Is it that a key lock designed gate is better? I think so. Let's stop talking around that, and just talk about it.

Key locks are better.

majid_sabet

Mar 14, 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #100 of 234 (5261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] saftey pins on biner's gate [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
Trench

Answer me this

first: I'm not trenchdigger.
second: this is condescending.
third: when a lock is in place, flutter would be impossible, hence forcing the gate/hook into alignment.
fourth: what are you trying to prove at this point? Is it that a key lock designed gate is better? I think so. Let's stop talking around that, and just talk about it.

Key locks are better.

I defiantly see a major improvement in key lock design but this is not what we are talking here plus, the key lock design has a few minor problem of its own but lets not talk about it on this post.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook