RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

no_email_entered

Apr 8, 2008, 4:26 PM
Post #1 of 11 (5180 views)
Shortcut

best camera for bouldering/ss
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi, i'm ready to finally buy a pro camera for climbing. my main focus is the ability to really capture the sit start. i don't see anyone really capitalizing on this part of climbing and am hoping to turn this hobby into a profession.

i just graduated from Brooks academy and have the opportunity to purchase a Polaroid 2024 which i think will be the best camera for sit start photography, but i'm having a hard time locating film. any ideas?

be sure to check out my awesome website when its up!

cheers,
Jay-C 'Jake' [Josh]

nklotz

Apr 8, 2008, 4:37 PM
Post #2 of 11 (5173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [no_email_entered] best camera for bouldering/ss [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I found the new olympus waterproof, and drop proof camera. Which works very well and has really good resolution. You can only drop it and go underwater about 6.6 feet, but you shouldn't need anything more than that. I think it is an 8 or maybe a 10 megapixel camera and I believe it has a zoom, but they're around $300 to upwards of $500. Anyways, hope you get what you want.

esqueleto

Apr 8, 2008, 4:53 PM
Post #3 of 11 (5167 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good luck finding polaroids bud, they discontinued that. [edit] did a quick search and it is still around, but be prepared for it to disappear [edit] you might be able to get it on ebay as i have found infrared on there, but never bothered to buy it because of price. i know that there are people that bought in quantity the last few months that they were selling polaroids. i was living in Santa Barbara and that city got wiped out because of all the photogs. anyways good luck on your search.

(This post was edited by esqueleto on Apr 8, 2008, 4:56 PM)

dynosore

Apr 8, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #4 of 11 (5159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd buy a disposable if I were you. That way you can pitch it and not be out much when you realize how stupid sit-start photos are.

T-0

maldaly

Apr 8, 2008, 5:37 PM
Post #5 of 11 (5141 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynosore] best camera for bouldering/ss [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, I'll take the troll bait...

When you say pro-camera I assume you mean a DSLR that can take a W-I-D-E angle lens. Best bet out there right now is Nikon D3 with the 14-24 FX lens. It'll cost you lees than 7 large for the setup. Add in another thousand or so for filters, flash, CF cards and a carrying case. More if you want remote flash capability which seems to be all the rage right now.

Or you could go with the D300 and the 18-200 DX lens. It's on sale right now at Adorama for less than $2200.
http://www.adorama.com/INKD300K1B.html
Don't forget to add in $900 for the 12-24 DX lens, flash, case, etc.

Mal

chanceboarder

Apr 8, 2008, 7:10 PM
Post #6 of 11 (5119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:
hi, i'm ready to finally buy a pro camera for climbing. my main focus is the ability to really capture the sit start. i don't see anyone really capitalizing on this part of climbing and am hoping to turn this hobby into a profession.

i just graduated from Brooks academy and have the opportunity to purchase a Polaroid 2024 which i think will be the best camera for sit start photography, but i'm having a hard time locating film. any ideas?

cheers,
Jay-C 'Jake' [Josh]
I wish I could upgrade, I'm still using the old 1000 series.

pico23

Apr 9, 2008, 2:52 AM
Post #7 of 11 (5074 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered wrote:

cheers,
Jay-C 'Jake' [Josh]

Great troll! Love it...!!!

fiend

Apr 9, 2008, 4:04 PM
Post #8 of 11 (5009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no_email_entered's identity revealed:

no_email_entered

Apr 9, 2008, 4:14 PM
Post #9 of 11 (5007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fiend] best camera for bouldering/ss [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

believe it or not, that is my good side---

---smartass

BigBlue89Bronco

Apr 20, 2008, 4:24 PM
Post #10 of 11 (4792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nklotz] best camera for bouldering/ss [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nklotz wrote:
I found the new olympus waterproof, and drop proof camera. Which works very well and has really good resolution. You can only drop it and go underwater about 6.6 feet, but you shouldn't need anything more than that. I think it is an 8 or maybe a 10 megapixel camera and I believe it has a zoom, but they're around $300 to upwards of $500. Anyways, hope you get what you want.

since when did Olympus turn into being a professional photography camera?

pico23

Apr 21, 2008, 5:29 AM
Post #11 of 11 (4727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BigBlue89Bronco] best camera for bouldering/ss [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

BigBlue89Bronco wrote:
nklotz wrote:

since when did Olympus turn into being a professional photography camera?

Well perhaps, you never looked at the E-1 or E-3 cameras. Besides Pentax K10D/K20D these are the only "splash proof" SLRs made. No not the Canon 1D or Nikon D3, they are sealed but not to the degree of the E1/E3 series.

I suppose you missed the fact that the E3 was proven to have the best AF speed of ANY AF camera including the D3 or 1D. Oh, the E3/E1 are both magnesium alloy, and 1/2 the cost of a D3. (not that I'm ragging on Nikon, but just pointing out the E3 is every bit professional).

Maybe you missed the quality of the Zuiko 4/3s pro glass with ground up digital design (not rebranded 35mm glass) and SWM motors. Or you didn't realize the Olympus SWM glass is all weather sealed to match the E3/E1 splash proof rating.

Some of the stuff people spew blows my mind, I don't even shoot olympus but it's a hell of a company and they make "pro" equipment as well as some nice comsumer, and prosumer cameras.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook