Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Guide Book and Other Beta for Wind River Range
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jkd159

Apr 24, 2008, 3:29 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1898 views)
Shortcut

Guide Book and Other Beta for Wind River Range  (North_America: United_States: Wyoming: Western_Wy_: Wind_River)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Can anyone recommend a good guidebook for the Winds?

I'd like to spend a week or two there in July this year. Any advice would be appreciated. I've heard the mosquitoes will be bad. What about bears? Do we need a bear canister or are there food lockers? Any other camping or route beta? Looking for grade III and moderate grade IV climbs in the 5.5 to 5.9 range. Pingora and Wolf's Head are on the tick list. Is mid-July a good time to try these climbs?

Also appreciate info on parking, base camping, approaches, permits, etc. Especially if anything has changed recently and is not reflected in the guidebook.

Thanks!

csproul

Apr 24, 2008, 1:57 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1853 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jkd159] Guide Book and Other Beta for Wind River Range [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not an expert at the Winds...but here it goes: Guidebook, as far as I know there is only one: the Kelsey book. I found topos and other information online in trip reports…it proved to be most useful, especially for descent info. We also got beta from Wild Iris in Lander on the way there. I was there in August, the mosquitoes were not that bad, but I too have heard that they are worse earlier in the year. We took bear canisters, there are no lockers. I doubt we needed them, but we stayed a week and the thought of having to hike all the way out just because our food got taken was enough to bring them. Plan on rain days. I honestly don't remember getting a permit, but my partner took care of a lot of that, so maybe he did. The parking lot at the trailhead was pretty full, but we managed to park there just fine. It is a long approach to the Cirque, but once you're there, many climbs are right at your feet. We also took a side trip on the way to climb Haystack, there are a couple of quality routes there. We did Central Corner 5.9, less committing than the Cirque routes and a great route if dry. Definitely hit Wolf's Head. It's easy but an all time classic in my book. The Pingora route was also very good, but not as classic as the Wolf's Head route in my opinion, but still a must do if in the area.

hemp22

Apr 24, 2008, 4:25 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1838 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Guide Book and Other Beta for Wind River Range [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI, brand new guidebook here: http://www.firstascentpress.com/

jkd159

Apr 25, 2008, 1:11 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1824 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hemp22] Guide Book and Other Beta for Wind River Range [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for both suggestions. Has anyone seen the new guidebook? I've heard good things about Kelsey's book, but I'm worried because it is 14 years old. Could be lots of out of date information.

Thanks!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook