RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

vwha688

Apr 23, 2008, 5:58 PM
Post #1 of 5 (4923 views)
Shortcut

Trout Creek
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Let me preface this thread with the following:
1) I know else where that there is controversy about the exposure of this "new" crag (even though its been public since the mid- 80's) and I don't intend to stir anything new up about it. This is a fact finding mission. I'm not looking for directions.
2) I dont intend to extract personal opinion about weather the crag is "worth my time" or that I "should just go to Smith" or want endless comparisons to other similar crags (Tieton, Vantage...). I've already decided to go.
3) I know this should be in a regional forum but this place dosen't seem to exist

I heard about Trout Creek, long before the Climbing article from a friend and local splitter fiend like myself who is quite familiar with the 'other' areas in Washington and Oregon, but he, unlike the article didn't know what I should bring as far as a rack (he hasn't been there, just seen it from a distance). The article suggested that I bring 4-6 sets of finger-hand sizes. My questions are this:

- are the cracks really as continuous in size as the rack suggestions would lead me to believe? do I really need that many placements on a 100' splitter?
- If i want to climb .10s and .11s what sizes should I bring to TC and how many? (NOT a NOOB just a poor college student with a decent rack of doubles with 3-4 of some sizes (mostly fingers -hands), I know that usually fingers = .11s hands = .10s)

Thanks for the info. If anyone is a local to TC PLEASE PM ME!!!!!

herbaltee

Apr 24, 2008, 6:42 AM
Post #2 of 5 (4874 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vwha688] Trout Creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Trout Creek is very similar to the Lower Gorge at Smith. The cracks are more parallel than the Lower Gorge so if you can bring lots of similar sizes. But you won't be too left too bad off if you don't. You'll just run it out. Bring what you got and try to find a friend too...

matttt

Apr 24, 2008, 4:35 PM
Post #3 of 5 (4842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trout creek is great and don't feel like you need to defend yourself for wanting to experience it. out of all the crags i have ever been to the folks that frequent the area are by far the nicest and most helpfull i have ever encountered. and even though the "word" is out it will never be over-run due to the nature of the climbing and the burly approach.

i would gather a few sets of cams and go out an enjoy, but more the better. for the most part the cracks are consistently sized, however some are slightly varied and you can get by with less.

trout creek is an extremely special place to myself and others...so care for it and you will be rewarded.

matt.

vwha688

Apr 26, 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #4 of 5 (4781 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matttt] Trout Creek [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the suggestions. I am glad to hear that TC is still relatively obscure. I can't wait to go.

Quick questions: do any of the thin cracks take nuts or am I wasting my time with those?
Also, how late into the summer can I go?

thanks

peace

EvilMonkey

Apr 26, 2008, 8:44 PM
Post #5 of 5 (4767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it might not be overrun yet, but just wait. climbing mag ran an article on fremont canyon(my regular crag) featuring alex honnald this past winter. i made it out there last weekend for the first time this season and there was one other guy out, also toprope soloing. see what i'm saying? already a crowd... there goes the neighborhood.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook