Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

zeke_sf

May 9, 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #51 of 74 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fjclimbsrocks] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Man, there are a lot of teary eyes in this thread. The OP must be the worst person in the entire world.

shanz

May 9, 2008, 1:18 AM
Post #52 of 74 (1778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

this kinda of thread drives me back to drinking. Is 100 bucks or less really worth human life? Damn maybe instead of posting here the the time could be better spent - hell burger king at minimum wage pays enough that a new harness could be bought for less than 2 days worth of work at a job. Of course there swallowing pride flipping burgers or letting go of the old harness to save your ass

"decline of the human race = not having a small amount of common sense"

(This post was edited by shanz on May 9, 2008, 1:20 AM)

ja1484

May 9, 2008, 1:21 AM
Post #53 of 74 (1771 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knudenoggin wrote:
jungle_george wrote:
Looked down and saw my belay loop was ripped about 1/5 of the way through.

I'm thinking about a loop of 9/16" webbing tied with a water knot.

It's interesting to read all of the gung-ho, throw-da-bum-out replies,
which were to be expected.

It was either Kolin Powick of BDEL (I think) or Sterling_Jim who
tested belay loops with increasingly severe cut-throughs to
assess their strength: they are VERY strong.
(This was done following the tragic death from an old, worn
loop.)

So, you're fine w/what you plan to do, adding a simple
back-up, for peace of mind.

*kN*

It was KP, after Todd Skinner's death and the resulting belay loop paranoia.

Anyone who's interested can see the data here:
http://www.bdel.com/...p_archive.php#102706

FWIW, even though the belay loop is likely still stronger than it would ever need to be and a backup would work, I'd still replace the harness.

But that's just me.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on May 9, 2008, 1:24 AM)

Partner angry

May 9, 2008, 1:23 AM
Post #54 of 74 (1770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shanz] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shanz wrote:
this kinda of thread drives me back to drinking. Is 100 bucks or less really worth human life? Damn maybe instead of posting here the the time could be better spent - hell burger king at minimum wage pays enough that a new harness could be bought for less than 2 days worth of work at a job. Of course there swallowing pride flipping burgers or letting go of the old harness to save your ass

When the OP does decide to retire it, he should send it in to Adatesman to pull it apart. Who wants to wager what it'll hold. My money is at 15kn.

ja1484

May 9, 2008, 1:28 AM
Post #55 of 74 (1767 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
shanz wrote:

When the OP does decide to retire it, he should send it in to Adatesman to pull it apart. Who wants to wager what it'll hold. My money is at 15kn.

I betcha it does 21.

shanz

May 9, 2008, 1:33 AM
Post #56 of 74 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
angry wrote:
shanz wrote:

I betcha it does 21.

guess thats what sets me apart i dont bet on my life and dont encourage others to do so. 15kn ill still spend the money - 9 years as a concert rigger 1 harness a year average sometimes more- applications are a lot harder rigging than climbing but the risk is still the same

(This post was edited by shanz on May 9, 2008, 1:36 AM)

knudenoggin

May 9, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #57 of 74 (1733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shanz] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
this sounds familiar.... like Todd Skinner
if i recal correctly his belay loop too worn but he decided to climb on it because he was planning on recieving a new one. and everybody knows where the story goes from there.
It should not sound the same, for in stark contrast to the late Todd Skinner's
actions, the OP is noting the damage, checking test data of similar damage,
AND providing a strong back-up.

shanz wrote:
guess thats what sets me apart i dont bet on my life and dont encourage others to do so. 15kn ill still spend the money
Somehow one needs to be able to make the judgement of safety. How do
you figure that 1 year or maybe less is the right point? --why not every
4 months (the How much is your life worth? challenge applies just as well)?
So, we check on testing of some severe cuts, and find that reassuring;
AND there is a back-up of typical anchor strength, to boot.
What are the gambling odds, then?!

*kN*

(This post was edited by knudenoggin on May 9, 2008, 4:29 PM)

Partner angry

May 9, 2008, 3:09 AM
Post #58 of 74 (1732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
angry wrote:
shanz wrote:

I betcha it does 21.

What's that thing rated at? 15kn was just a guess.

Whatever it's rated at, is what it's going to break at. That thing doesn't have any real damage.

shoo

May 9, 2008, 3:19 AM
Post #59 of 74 (1728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

Whatever it's rated at, is what it's going to break at. That thing doesn't have any real damage.

The rating is not the expected breaking strength. Most climbing gear is rated such that 99.87% of all pieces of gear is expected to fail ABOVE the rated strength.

ja1484

May 9, 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #60 of 74 (1688 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
angry wrote:
shanz wrote:

I betcha it does 21.

To get the CE cert, belay loops have to do 15kN. According to KP over at BD though, their historical average is around 25kN, and other major manufacturers are in the same ballpark.

jungle_george

May 9, 2008, 1:56 PM
Post #61 of 74 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow - I got quite a few responses on this topic. It's interesting how much these threads wander...

I liked zeke_sf's comment about the teary eyes and how I must be the worst person in the world [sic]. I actually laughed when I read that this morning. That was great - thanks for brightening up my day.

I also liked the comment from someone else (already forgot who) suggesting that I was bad belayer, and that I was soloing because no one wanted to climb with me. This was also pretty funny - apparently this guy has never had trouble finding a partner willing to do laps on a crack for several hours. Also funny because it's the internet and you know virtually nothing about me - in fact, for all you know I could show up on Dateline next week.

Anyways, thanks for the posts. I found maybe 4 of the ~60 useful, so I guess for RC.com that's a pretty good ratio.

I did contact Metolius, and am waiting for a response.

I'll be living in the Valley for several weeks this fall doing some walls and/or heavy drinking depending on weather. If you're looking for a good time it should be pretty easy to find me - I'll be the tall Texan either climbing hard with a torn belay loop, or staggering around Camp 4 with a King Cobra in hand. :)

Partner cracklover

May 9, 2008, 2:17 PM
Post #62 of 74 (1662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jungle_george] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jungle George - you're all right. Got a good head on your shoulders. It seems a lot of good people come out of Texas. Thanks for breaking the stereotype.

GO

billcoe_

May 9, 2008, 2:20 PM
Post #63 of 74 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There could very well be a battery acid issue, and your harness may be trash, and very weak. Whatever caused this shouldn't be ignored, and you might really think about where your gear has been, including your rope. Wash the harness immediately as well. This isn't common nor normal.

Back in the day, everyone made due. There is nothing wrong with backing it up and being thrifty. I get belayed regularly on a harness older than most of you on this board (thing might be 30 years old). So friggan what? Dude puts a biner through his leg loops and swami, which is 6" wide and still in perfect condition.

I've known 2 people who sewed their own harnesses. One guy on his moms sewing machine, I begged him for a year to just buy one, and he did when he took a 50-60 footer on the old shitrat that was his home made job. How do you think this stuff was invented? Some just putting it together in his garage usually.

Lighten up on the OP. George, just tie a friggan loop of webbing. Fish has some supertape, stronger than normal 9/16, or use 1", OR a large carabiner and forget about it. I'd be eyeballing the biner real seriously.

One harness breaking the in history of harnesses is not something to worry over. Worry about your ropes, biners etc etc.

Thats my thoughts.

(This post was edited by billcoe_ on May 12, 2008, 2:42 AM)

avalon420

May 10, 2008, 3:33 AM
Post #64 of 74 (1570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nh_ranger] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nh_ranger wrote:
How much is your life worth to you?
obviously less than thirty dollars

curt

May 10, 2008, 3:48 AM
Post #65 of 74 (1564 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jungle_george wrote:
Monday I was self belaying w/a Gri-Gri and clove backup to my leg loop. Doing laps on a hand crack with a 30 lb pack on, got tired after a few laps and popped out with about 4 ft. of slack in the system.

The Gri-Gri caught me no prob, but when it caught I heard a loud "SNAP". Looked down and saw my belay loop was ripped about 1/5 of the way through. I'm not sure how this happened exactly, but I can think of a number of ways. I'm not looking for reasons this happened.

Here's what I need advice on: I've kind of turned into a cheap-o as of late (i.e. don't want a new harness), and am looking for ways to back up the belay loop that aren't bulky. I'm thinking about a loop of 9/16" webbing tied with a water knot.

To keep the ends of the water knot from creeping I don't want to tie df knots as they're way too bulky. I was thinking about pulling out the sewing machine and putting in a bar tack on each end with a super fine needle that won't cut the webbing threads.

So the water knot would keep the webbing loop tied, but the bar tacks would just keep the ends from creeping toward the knot.

So I would have 2 belay loops on my harness, the semi-torn one and this backup. Bad idea, good idea, what?

I've also thought about using a loop of Titan cord tied with a tf, but they don't sell that stuff around here, I don't want to spend more money, and I've already got spare 9/16" webbing.

Why change anything? Assuming you haven't yet contributed to the gene pool, all is good.

Curt

austin.timm

May 10, 2008, 4:24 AM
Post #66 of 74 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My god man. If your harness was in bad enough shape for that loop to tear to begin with then chances are other parts of your harness are also failing unbenounced to you.

A webbing tie-off is a quick fix intended for use on a big wall or an alpine climb where you absolutely can't avoid the problem.

You need a new harness, otherwise we'll be reading about you in the 2008 edition of Accidents in North American Mountaineering...

zeke_sf

May 10, 2008, 4:38 AM
Post #67 of 74 (1549 views)
Shortcut

Re: [austin.timm] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

austin.timm wrote:
My god man. If your harness was in bad enough shape for that loop to tear to begin with then chances are other parts of your harness are also failing unbenounced to you.

A webbing tie-off is a quick fix intended for use on a big wall or an alpine climb where you absolutely can't avoid the problem.

You need a new harness, otherwise we'll be reading about you in the 2008 edition of Accidents in North American Mountaineering...

I nou what you're saying. Although, the same post you've all rephrased a slightly different way is getting quite boring. Heck, I see the guy in here who relied on a single water knot that failed whipping this poor guy who at least wants to back up a still strong belay loop. Does the dumbass who fell on an improper water knot want to raise his hand and still pretend he's an expert?

Partner j_ung

May 11, 2008, 2:10 PM
Post #68 of 74 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
nou

LaughLaugh

go_dyno

May 11, 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #69 of 74 (1465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Austin Timm has summed up the situation accurately and succinctly. There is a strong possibility that what many of you believe seems like a strong, yet slightly damaged belay loop could have been damaged by chemicals, off-gassing of something, etc. The fact is that Jungle Guy has said he does NOT really know. If you absolutely knew for certain what caused the belay loop damage, then maybe you would have a still ridiculous argument, but you do NOT know for certain and God (or for you Pagan's...your harness) has fortunately given you a warning. Listen to it. If you want to look the hardcore dirtbag climber carry all your gear in a brown paper sack with the corners duct taped but get a new harness!

I have one harness that has a backup parallel belay loop I put on it, but it was not to backup a questionable belay loop, but to supplement a very burly belay loop and thus have full redundancy in my safety system because I have to climb with an astronomical amount of weight sometimes for work.

irregularpanda

May 11, 2008, 8:19 PM
Post #70 of 74 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

"You not know what real problem is, me smart!!"

Hehehe
Consider this joke stolen.

zeke_sf

May 12, 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #71 of 74 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [go_dyno] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

People are rending their hair and garments now, OP! When, OH LAWD, when are you going to replace your harness! I'm crying the real tears for you and shitting small spurts of rage over this. Please get a new harness?

jungle_george

May 12, 2008, 9:37 PM
Post #72 of 74 (1361 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI - final update so this thread can die. The harness is now on it's way to oregon to see the Metolius folks. They're gonna inspect it and, if they feel it's in good enough shape, sew me a new belay loop. They've been awesome - what a great company.

Final note - not sure where the battery acid idea came from, but my harness has never been in contact with battery acid. I already said what caused the tear, and it had nothing to do with chemical damage. Battery acid, seriously? How on earth can this be more plausible than what I described?

Anyways, thanks to the people who suggested I send it back to Metolius - I wasn't originally going to do this. I feel the webbing backup would have worked just fine, but this way I get a brand new belay loop. So I'll be climbing in an old bod harness until I get it back in a couple of weeks.

Also thanks to the people who've offered me deals on new harnesses - should Metolius tell me to retire the harness (not likely, it's in great shape), I'll definitely be in contact.

Peace.

billcoe_

May 12, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #73 of 74 (1334 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you can ask the guy who said his rope had never come in contact with battery acid, then it broke in two pieces at the climbing gym when bro took a small test lead fall on it.

Initially, like you, they blamed the biner...till testing proved otherwise and sulfuric acid was conclusively determined to be the cause. Dude still maintained he'd kept it in a rope bag blah blah. Except ...well......maybe ONCE he'd put it on the road to open his car door without the bag after climbing and it wasn't in the bag....

No joke. think it over...

zeke_sf

May 13, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #74 of 74 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Re: [billcoe_] Torn Belay Loop - Advice [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

billcoe_ wrote:
Well, you can ask the guy who said his rope had never come in contact with battery acid, then it broke in two pieces at the climbing gym when bro took a small test lead fall on it.

Initially, like you, they blamed the biner...till testing proved otherwise and sulfuric acid was conclusively determined to be the cause. Dude still maintained he'd kept it in a rope bag blah blah. Except ...well......maybe ONCE he'd put it on the road to open his car door without the bag after climbing and it wasn't in the bag....

No joke. think it over...

Did you even read the post just above yours, or are you just not done crying the real tears? The point is moot, duder.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook