RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

sava6e

Jun 1, 2008, 6:08 PM
Post #1 of 8 (4862 views)
Shortcut

What does C mean as far as rating?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was looking at routes on supertopo and am clueless what this translates to:
5.12 or 5.9 C1

im not sure how the c1 downgrades the route??

moof

Jun 1, 2008, 6:19 PM
Post #2 of 8 (4856 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sava6e] What does C mean as far as rating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

C1 refers to a section of clean aid.

A0=french free
A1/C1 hammered/clean bomber placements that you are using aiders on to make upwards progress.
A2/C2 hammered/clean somewhat tricky but mostly safe aiding
and so on up to A5/C5 where the belay sucks, whole pitch is bodyweight tricky placements over ledgefall probability, really a theoretical grade for the most part.

marc801

Jun 1, 2008, 6:49 PM
Post #3 of 8 (4844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] What does C mean as far as rating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moof wrote:
...and so on up to A5/C5 where the belay sucks, whole pitch is bodyweight tricky placements over ledgefall probability, really a theoretical grade for the most part.
Nope. A5 is a well established grade. Yes, lots of tricky, body-weight only placements (perhaps the entire pitch), little or no actual protection that is in the rock (extensive hooking), and falls with serious injury/death potential. However, the belays are solid and there's nothing theoretical about the grade. This stuff isn't hard to look-up:
http://bigwalls.net/...ex.php?title=Ratings
http://www.bigwalls.com/climb/Ratings.html

It sounds like you're thinking of A6, which indeed is theoretical, where the belays (supposedly) would likely rip out. An extremely controversial grade, there are extraordinarily few routes (less than 5?) that have ever been given this grade. Apparently in at least one case, debunked after the second ascent.

doz

Jun 1, 2008, 7:34 PM
Post #4 of 8 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sava6e
To answer your question, a 5.12 or 5.9 C1 either climbs 5.12 standard run of the mill rating or 5.9 with C1 aid moves. Meaning you will have to physically pull (aid) moves to get buy section of climbing that are 5.9+ or harder. This essentially means that the climb is aid (at least in parts) unless you can climb 5.12.

That said without knowing what climb you are looking at this could be a very few ‘French free’ moves or an @$$ load of aid climbing.

The “C” also means you should be able to get buy the aid sections without a hammer. Using RP, nuts, cams etc. basically a free rack, and being that it is C”1” means the placements are straight forward not to complex and will hold a fall. BOMBER in other words.

A5 is defiantly NOT theoretical, and the belay stations are usually good to go. As to A6 that is another can of worms altogether-some say to be an A6 there has to be a death involved, the catch being if the first assent party dies without finishing the climb how do we actually know it is A6 and if they finish it must be A5.Tongue I am not getting into it!!!??? Too much BS involved.

Hope that helps
Doz

stymingersfink

Jun 1, 2008, 8:17 PM
Post #5 of 8 (4793 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doz] What does C mean as far as rating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

doz wrote:
sava6e
To answer your question, a 5.12 or 5.9 C1 either climbs 5.12 standard run of the mill rating or 5.9 with C1 aid moves. Meaning you will have to physically pull (aid) moves to get buy section of climbing that are 5.9+ or harder. This essentially means that the climb is aid (at least in parts) unless you can climb 5.12.

That said without knowing what climb you are looking at this could be a very few ‘French free’ moves or an @$$ load of aid climbing.

The “C” also means you should be able to get buy the aid sections without a hammer. Using RP, nuts, cams etc. basically a free rack, and being that it is C”1” means the placements are straight forward not to complex and will hold a fall. BOMBER in other words.

A5 is defiantly NOT theoretical, and the belay stations are usually good to go. As to A6 that is another can of worms altogether-some say to be an A6 there has to be a death involved, the catch being if the first assent party dies without finishing the climb how do we actually know it is A6 and if they finish it must be A5.Tongue I am not getting into it!!!??? Too much BS involved.

Hope that helps
Doz
good explanation there Doz.

One thing I might expect seeing the 5.12 or 5.9+C1 rating is a crux pitch of 5.12 fingertips crack, so perhaps you'll want to bring your standard free rack plus some extra micro-nuts or really small cams.

If it's NOT a sandstone route, a pair of leeper cam-hooks might be sufficient to get you through the thin stuff, but keep in mind that it's an extremely difficult mental game to step out of the aiders to start free-climbing, even more so if you don't have a bomber piece of gear (or two) at your waist.Smile

Arrogant_Bastard

Jun 4, 2008, 7:17 PM
Post #6 of 8 (4556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [doz] What does C mean as far as rating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

doz wrote:

http://www.splitterchoss.com/...e-aid-climbing-rant/

doz

Jun 4, 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #7 of 8 (4468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] What does C mean as far as rating? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That was rich, classically funny!!!??? See why I am unwilling to get into that debate. IT IS TOO MUCH BS.

Thanks for the link
Doz

pmoff

Jun 4, 2008, 11:41 PM
Post #8 of 8 (4430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have never seen C5. But I've been on C3 in Zion and Pika Cam Hooks are like gold. I agree with the one comment, its hard mixing aid and free on the same pitch. It's really hard to get out of those Etriers once your ina groove. Swinging aid and free pitches isn't too bad, mentally.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook