Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

ckirkwood9

Jul 15, 2008, 5:45 PM
Post #1 of 30 (21015 views)
Shortcut

Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi All -

My first trip to Squamish was going beautifully - spent a day in Vancouver checking out the city, drinking strong coffee and sampled great veggie food and probably the BEST blueberry soy lahsi (sp?) at Naam.

Left for the Squamish Inn On The Water - reasonably priced, cool place, nice setting, other climbers to talk to.

Due to the rain the next day - we opted to Mountain bike. OH... BIG BIG praise to the guys at the tantalus bike shop http://www.tantalusbikeshop.com/ these guys did everything to get us bikes even though we walked in last minute with no reservations on a weekend. The main guy (unfortunately don't remember his name but he was SUPER charged up) really went above and beyond the call of duty to help us. (If you're reading this dude... i've told everyone who listens that you're THE man and that your shop rules! My g.f. later saw you walk into the brew pub while i was grabbing something out of the car - we wanted to buy you and your mechanics a round of drinks, but you took off before i returned - so NEXT time - drinks are on me)

Then off to stay at the Klahanie Campground across from the Klahanie falls. BEAUTIFUL camp site we had right along the little creek with a great waterfall to lull me to sleep that first night! I never slept so soundly.

Who knew it would be my parting slumber with my beloved Black Diamond Tadpole 23 tent.

The next day we went off to climb High Mountain Woody, Paul's Crack and Stephanie's something-or-other... great great fun! Awesome (btw... I climb mostly at the gunks in New Paltz NY and I thought Squamish was on the soft side with their ratings)

After ripping out our hand-hair by pulling off our tape gloves, we headed to the Howe Sound BrewPub for some excellent food, then back to the campground where, to my horror, my tent and sleeping pad were gone!

Now i don't know if this is standard in Canada, but i've never heard of someone's tent being stolen and i've been climbing/camping for many years. Other climbers told me that due to the huge drug problem in Vancouver, there are a lot of thefts in Squamish (car break ins, climbers gear stolen, etc). I wish i had known that so i could have broken down my tent.

I WAS glad to hear, though, of the probability that it was a junkie rather than a climber... i couldn't fathom a climber stealing another's gear... just seems so against the standard climber ethic that i've grown to love and respect.

Anyway - word to the uninformed - don't leave anything laying around if you go to Squamish - many squammies told me that stuff disappears up there.

SO i was finally able to let it go and just chalked it up to additional cost of a great trip.

Squamish climbing is focking awesome!

ckirkwood9

Jul 15, 2008, 5:46 PM
Post #2 of 30 (21012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

by the way - if anyone is offered a burgundy Black Diamond Tadpole 23 tent for reaallll cheap - stick one of the stakes in the dude's eye for me.

ckirkwood9

Jul 15, 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #3 of 30 (21005 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ckirkwood9] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

by the way #2 - i got so wrapped up in the lost tent i forgot to mention climbing day 2... we did 6-pitch Snake. GREAT climb. Fun.... wished we had one more day to try some harder stuff.

giza

Jul 15, 2008, 6:01 PM
Post #4 of 30 (20989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear you got ripped off. Unfortunately Squamish does have it's share of gak freaks and strung-out crank whores so car windows do occasionally get broken and gear gets stolen. But a tent stolen from a private campground? That's unusual. What did the people running the campground have to say about it?

ckirkwood9

Jul 15, 2008, 6:16 PM
Post #5 of 30 (20959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [giza] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i called the camp ground guy wondering if MAYBE he had taken it down. He said that he drove his normal nightly rounds a few hours earlier (i called around 10pm) and saw that my tent was gone, he figured we left earlier than our originally planned 3-day stay. So no he didn't take it down.

He did offer an apology that it happened... and while I I didn't expect him to replace it, I suppose it would have been nice if he offered us the remainder of the stay free of charge.

BUT I wasn't looking for any reparations ... and like i said the trip was so awesome that it was just chalked up as another trip expense. The thing that sucked was when we went climbing the next day it took me a little while to let it go. I realized that i was letting it ruin my day of climbing (hence my vacation which was WAY more expensive then the cost of a tent) .... only then did i let it go and have an incredible day on squamish rock!

i'll know better next time. Thanks for the empathy. :)

mramos

Jul 16, 2008, 10:55 AM
Post #6 of 30 (20845 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this really common in Squamish? I guess I could hire mounted police or find a bear to guard my stuff but I'd much rather just leave it there.

kyote321

Jul 16, 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #7 of 30 (20812 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i very impressed that a junkie would be able to beak down a tent in plain view, roll up a sleeping pad, and sneak out of camp.

shimanilami

Jul 16, 2008, 12:57 PM
Post #8 of 30 (20807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kyote321 wrote:
i very impressed that a junkie would be able to beak down a tent in plain view, roll up a sleeping pad, and sneak out of camp.

I don't know. He was probably about equally as filthy as all the dirtbag climbers out there.

kyote321

Jul 16, 2008, 1:19 PM
Post #9 of 30 (20787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shimanilami] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah but try to get a dirtbag climber to break down a tent in under five minutes!

kriso9tails

Jul 16, 2008, 5:00 PM
Post #10 of 30 (20719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mramos] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mramos wrote:
Is this really common in Squamish? I guess I could hire mounted police or find a bear to guard my stuff but I'd much rather just leave it there.

That won't help; there's actually a secret division of the RCMP that does nothing but steal the tents of visiting Americans. It's our second largest source of revenue next to maple syrup.

I'm reasonably certain that tent theft is not that popular (first I've heard of it, but I'm not necessarily so in the loop on the Squamish camping scene), but theft in general is pretty high there. Lots of people have had their cars broken into in and around the Chief, so if one decides to tear down camp every day and load everything into the car, make sure not to make it look like you have lots of expensive gear just lying around in your back seat. You may end up with a stolen tent... and a broken car window (though you probably wouldn't).

jmagnus17

Jul 16, 2008, 5:15 PM
Post #11 of 30 (20707 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kyote321] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kyote321 wrote:
yeah but try to get a dirtbag climber to break down a tent in under five minutes!
That's hilarious to me! It's safe to rule out the dirtbag climbers... it was obviously a dirtbag crackhead.

I'm headed to Squamish this weekend, I'll bring my crackhead repellent!

kriso9tails

Jul 16, 2008, 7:02 PM
Post #12 of 30 (20677 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jmagnus17] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jmagnus17 wrote:
kyote321 wrote:
That's hilarious to me! It's safe to rule out the dirtbag climbers... it was obviously a dirtbag crackhead.

I'm headed to Squamish this weekend, I'll bring my crackhead repellent!

What's crackhead repellent? You offer them real jobs?

jmagnus17

Jul 16, 2008, 9:47 PM
Post #13 of 30 (20627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was thinking a large blunt object or projectile weapon of some sort.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jul 16, 2008, 10:52 PM
Post #14 of 30 (20597 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
That won't help; there's actually a secret division of the RCMP that does nothing but steal the tents of visiting Americans. It's our second largest source of revenue next to maple syrup.

Sorry about the tent, but that was gold.

getout87

Jul 17, 2008, 8:33 PM
Post #15 of 30 (20448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

Sorry about the tent, but that was gold.

If I had a trophy...

blueeyedclimber

Jul 23, 2008, 5:57 PM
Post #16 of 30 (20053 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry about the tent. We just got back from Squamish. We have stayed in klahanie campground twice, and aside from some loud weekend campers, have never had any problem. That sucks. People will steal anything, but I a whole tent from a proviate campground. THat's a new one.

Josh

getout87

Jul 23, 2008, 5:59 PM
Post #17 of 30 (20051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i would be pissed of to no end if somebody stole my tent.

blfrg

Jul 24, 2008, 3:38 AM
Post #18 of 30 (20015 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I once had about 10 sleeping bags stolen from my group while i was leading a climbing trip for OSU at RRG. They left a note for us..........that was nice........

Partner alexmac

Jul 29, 2008, 11:14 AM
Post #19 of 30 (19763 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:

There too busy gettting high in the school yard at lunch to get real jobs.

Crime is not about jobs, its about being too lazy to work for a living and expecting more for no skills than a person deserves.

Car breakins are generally because people can see stuff in your car, truck it, and if you can not fit it in there, well you got too much shit.

Partner oldsalt

Jul 29, 2008, 1:26 PM
Post #20 of 30 (19731 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
Crime is not about jobs, its about being too lazy to work for a living and expecting more for no skills than a person deserves.

Car breakins are generally because people can see stuff in your car, truck it, and if you can not fit it in there, well you got too much shit.

I hear you. In the 60's, I always left my car unlocked with the key in the switch. The only time I had a problem was when I bought my girl friend (now wife of 37 years) a 45 rpm record of our song. Some a**hole reached in and broke it into pieces.

Translation for the young: 45 rpm record is the stone age version of a cd with 4 minutes of music on each side.

carbonrx8

Jul 29, 2008, 1:44 PM
Post #21 of 30 (19725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

oldsalt wrote:

Translation for the young: 45 rpm record is the stone age version of a cd with 4 minutes of music on each side.

Whasa cd?

[turns up Pandora radio on new iPhone]

Old people. Who understands them? Hard to believe they're even the same species. Listening to them is like listening to tree frogs in the night. They make alot of the same noise over and over, while it must be communication, the words just dont make any sense and they are hard to ignore.

Congrats on your successful marrage; you guys have been hitched as long as I have been alive. (yeah, I ain't that young, but at least I dont tell the same damn stories over and over again. Yet. )

chris_winter

Jul 29, 2008, 3:57 PM
Post #22 of 30 (19692 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carbonrx8] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've stayed at Klahanie probably a dozen times. The only time I had anything stolen was our camp stove, which got janked by a bunch of kids from Vancouver who had stayed next to us that weekend. In general, that place is safe and we don't think twice about leaving our stuff lying around.

kriso9tails

Jul 29, 2008, 4:02 PM
Post #23 of 30 (19689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alexmac wrote:
kriso9tails wrote:

There too busy gettting high in the school yard at lunch to get real jobs.

You're... not the swiftest, are you?

stonefoxgirl

Jul 29, 2008, 4:44 PM
Post #24 of 30 (19662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getout87] Squamish Warning - Tent Stolen from Klahanie Campground [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Me too, I have a MOSS. They don't make them anymore. The company was sold to MSR.

Arrogant_Bastard

Jul 29, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #25 of 30 (19651 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Viva la Revolucion!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook