RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

gt29905

Jul 25, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3464 views)
Shortcut

WANTED Multipitch partner for aug 8,9,10 in NC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Laurel knob, stone mountain, or whitesides, it all sounds great to me. I'd like to do a long route, four or more pitches in the 5.8 to 5.9 range. We can use my rack and ropes. I'm dying to wear the shine off all my new stuff. PM me if you're interested.

dynamo_

Jul 26, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #2 of 13 (3384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gt29905] WANTED Multipitch partner for aug 8,9,10 in NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't go that weekend...have a work thing...but I sent you an email...need for Alabama partners.

-Ben

Partner mr8615

Jul 27, 2008, 12:39 AM
Post #3 of 13 (3381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As far as your grade range, Whitesides is out and most of Stone as well. Thought about Looking Glass? Seems the best bet for the grades but the places you've mentioned will all be scorching in August, fyi. You'll wanna be climbing early or late.

csproul

Jul 28, 2008, 3:24 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3316 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] WANTED Multipitch partner for aug 8,9,10 in NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed that Whitesides is pretty much out of the question in that range. Stone and Laurel Knob are doable for 5.9 and under, but you'd have to be insane to climb either in August. OK, you could make sure you were up a LK route in the morning and off by the time the sun started hitting it, but that's a lot of effort in my opinion. Try Looking Glass, or even Shortoff (morning shade) or Table Rock (climbed there this weekend and it wasn't too hot).

gt29905

Jul 28, 2008, 3:26 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3315 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've decided to not try and climb in NC on that weekend. It's just too close to try and make plans for a specific weekend when I don't know if someone will be able to make it or if they will be reliable. Thanks for the responses.

I'm going kayaking in a huge alligator infested swamp instead. It should be pretty fun. Smile

climbinganne

Jul 30, 2008, 4:05 AM
Post #6 of 13 (3070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

gt29905 wrote:
I'm dying to wear the shine off all my new stuff. PM me if you're interested.

oh...my...god....interested in what?

100 foot fall at looking glass this weak. dont cum here.

pun intended

climbinganne

Jul 30, 2008, 5:02 AM
Post #7 of 13 (3061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinganne] WANTED Multipitch partner for aug 8,9,10 in NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok...strange response as noted in your PM..

not so strange, once you climb, raft and hick (lol) in NC, perhaps you'll understand

good luck brotha

getout87

Jul 30, 2008, 1:10 PM
Post #8 of 13 (3021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinganne wrote:
gt29905 wrote:
I'm dying to wear the shine off all my new stuff. PM me if you're interested.

oh...my...god....interested in what?

100 foot fall at looking glass this weak. dont cum here.

pun intended

do what? you took a hundred footer when you slipped on cum? im confused.

zenelky

Jul 30, 2008, 2:03 PM
Post #9 of 13 (3014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe it's just me, but I don't forsee too much enjoyment coming from a multipitch climb in North Carolina in August. Unless you enjoy sizzling in the sun while baking your toes in climbing shoes Shocked.

I'd recommend holding off a few months until the weather cools a bit more.

There's a lot of places you can still go to get in some trad, but stay in the shade. Try Sunset Park, or even clip some bolts in the canyon and cool off in the Little River.

climbinganne

Jul 31, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zenelky] WANTED Multipitch partner for aug 8,9,10 in NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PISGAH NATIONAL FOREST -- A rock climber who fell from Looking Glass Rock in Pisgah National Forest Monday night did not appear to have life-threatening injuries when rescuers evacuated him early Tuesday, officials said.

The victim, described as age 31 and from Georgia, was descending from climbing the granite monolith when he fell less than 100 feet, an official with the U.S. Forest Service said.

“He was an experienced climber, he just got into an unfortunate accident,” said U.S. Forest Service officer Jody Bandy, who was among rescuers who responded about 10 p.m. “He didn’t appear to have life-threatening injuries at the scene...He had cuts and abrasions and lacerations.”

The couple were rock climbing on Looking Glass, a granite dome which rises about 1,700 feet from the valley floor and is among the more popular climbing spots in the Southeast. The fall occurred after 9 p.m.; Bandy did not say how rescuers were notified of the accident.

Rescuers from Brevard Rescue Squad, Transylvania County Emergency Medical Service and Sheriff’s Department and the U.S. Forest Service staged at the Slick rock Trailhead. They located the victim about 7/10 mile from Headwaters Road, Forest Service Road 475B, hiking in the dark and rain.

The victim was transported via ambulance to Mission Hospitals in Asheville. His name and condition were not immediately available.

Looking Glass Rock, not to be confused with nearby Looking Glass Falls, rises to a height of 3,969 feet above sea level and features steep cliffs on three sides that make it a popular rock climbing and hiking destination. A trail of slightly more than 3 miles winds from Headwaters Road to the top of the rock and offers sweeping views, but also dangerous drop-offs over the sheer cliffs which tower hundreds of feet over the valley below.

understand now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

climbinganne

Jul 31, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2982 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

like isaid,
unless you pay my taxes, go to tennessee

getout87

Jul 31, 2008, 2:23 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbinganne wrote:
PISGAH NATIONAL FOREST -- A rock climber who fell from Looking Glass Rock in Pisgah National Forest Monday night did not appear to have life-threatening injuries when rescuers evacuated him early Tuesday, officials said.

The victim, described as age 31 and from Georgia, was descending from climbing the granite monolith when he fell less than 100 feet, an official with the U.S. Forest Service said.

“He was an experienced climber, he just got into an unfortunate accident,” said U.S. Forest Service officer Jody Bandy, who was among rescuers who responded about 10 p.m. “He didn’t appear to have life-threatening injuries at the scene...He had cuts and abrasions and lacerations.”

The couple were rock climbing on Looking Glass, a granite dome which rises about 1,700 feet from the valley floor and is among the more popular climbing spots in the Southeast. The fall occurred after 9 p.m.; Bandy did not say how rescuers were notified of the accident.

Rescuers from Brevard Rescue Squad, Transylvania County Emergency Medical Service and Sheriff’s Department and the U.S. Forest Service staged at the Slick rock Trailhead. They located the victim about 7/10 mile from Headwaters Road, Forest Service Road 475B, hiking in the dark and rain.

The victim was transported via ambulance to Mission Hospitals in Asheville. His name and condition were not immediately available.

Looking Glass Rock, not to be confused with nearby Looking Glass Falls, rises to a height of 3,969 feet above sea level and features steep cliffs on three sides that make it a popular rock climbing and hiking destination. A trail of slightly more than 3 miles winds from Headwaters Road to the top of the rock and offers sweeping views, but also dangerous drop-offs over the sheer cliffs which tower hundreds of feet over the valley below.

understand now...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yup, thanks!

getout87

Jul 31, 2008, 2:25 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2875 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zenelky] WANTED Multipitch partner for aug 8,9,10 in NC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zenelky wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I don't forsee too much enjoyment coming from a multipitch climb in North Carolina in August. Unless you enjoy sizzling in the sun while baking your toes in climbing shoes Shocked.

I'd recommend holding off a few months until the weather cools a bit more.

There's a lot of places you can still go to get in some trad, but stay in the shade. Try Sunset Park, or even clip some bolts in the canyon and cool off in the Little River.

+1

Climbed in little river canyon last weekend for the first time. very awesome climbing, the weather was bearable-for the most part- and even after a bunch of rain the routes were mostly dry. just watch out for the poison ivy.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook