Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

mturner

Jul 29, 2008, 4:48 PM
Post #76 of 112 (4601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
mturner wrote:
sungam wrote:
"everyone will think I'm a badass if I rate this problem Vx, when really it's Vx+1, or even Vx+2".
That was the reason I had a few years ago when I had these issues where I thought everyone thought I was a pussy.
Everyone DID think I was a pussy, and still do.
What can I say? I'm a pussy.

That's kind of what I was getting at. It seems like everyone at my gym that sandbags has serious ego or insecurity problems. Just an observation.

Some of the time. There are those who sandbag their grades in the gym.

There are those who soften up their grades in the gym.

There are those who never climb outside so they don't actually have a yardstick to measure it by.

And then there's me. I am better with technique, and so I put something up, call it 5.10b, and everybody thinks it's an .11b. Whatever, It's just the gym. I know that squamish is NOT sandbagged. This much is true.

We have people like this too, those that say it's just technique...whatever it's still sandbagged if most people think it's harder.

irregularpanda

Jul 29, 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #77 of 112 (4586 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
We have people like this too, those that say it's just technique...whatever it's still sandbagged if most people think it's harder.

No, it's not. Those people just lack the TECHNIQUE, to climb a technical 5.9 (or whatever grade you are inclined to complain about)

You are opening up an age old debate. If you are used to reachy problems that have no footwork, a technical problem will shut you down, even if it's 5.9. And vice versa.

Dyno problems shut me down.

There is also the argument of "what type of rock is it?" if you are used to granite, you could get sandbagged on sandstone, or basalt.

But there is also the fact that a technical 5.10a (or whatever fucking grade you want, it doesn't matter) is entirely different from a crack .10a, from a pumpy overhanging .10a, from a slabby .10a, or from a dynamic .10a.

Shall we continue with the list? I'm sure it goes on and on and on..........

Sandbag this and soft that, it doesn't really matter. Especially in the gym. What matters is real rock, the first ascensionist, and the local ethic.

One thing I know for sure: if there is a route that is rated 5.9, and it was put up in the 50s or in the early 60s, that's fucking NOT 5.9 by modern standards. Especially if Fred Beckey established it.

Edited for my emphasis

(This post was edited by irregularpanda on Jul 29, 2008, 5:16 PM)

mturner

Jul 29, 2008, 5:31 PM
Post #78 of 112 (4579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
mturner wrote:

No, it's not. Those people just lack the TECHNIQUE, to climb a technical 5.9 (or whatever grade you are inclined to complain about)

You are opening up an age old debate. If you are used to reachy problems that have no footwork, a technical problem will shut you down, even if it's 5.9. And vice versa.

There is also the argument of "what type of rock is it?" if you are used to granite, you could get sandbagged on sandstone, or basalt.

But there is also the fact that a technical 5.10a (or whatever fucking grade you want, it doesn't matter) is entirely different from a crack .10a, from a pumpy overhanging .10a, from a slabby .10a, or from a dynamic .10a.

Sandbag this and soft that, it doesn't really matter. Especially in the gym. What matters is real rock, the first ascensionist, and the local ethic.

One thing I know for sure: if there is a route that is rated 5.9, and it was put up in the 50s or in the early 60s, that's fucking NOT 5.9 by modern standards. Especially if Fred Beckey established it.

Edited for my emphasis

Ok I admit I may have jumped the gun on this one. You're right in that they may lack the technique to climb a certain grade. What irks me is when I am climbing something well below my onsight level and find it difficult, even using the correct technique, and Joe-hardman says it's just technical. That to me is a load of poo.

stymingersfink

Jul 30, 2008, 5:43 AM
Post #79 of 112 (4527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
mturner wrote:

Edited for my emphasis

Ok I admit I may have jumped the gun on this one. You're right in that they may lack the technique to climb a certain grade. What irks me is when I am climbing something well below my onsight level and find it difficult, even using the correct technique, and Joe-hardman says it's just technical. That to me is a load of poo.
The "correct" technique and the technique that works are at times two different things. I don't care if you can O.S. 5.11d, using the wrong "correct" technique on a 5.9+ will probably shut you down every time.

sungam

Jul 30, 2008, 8:43 AM
Post #80 of 112 (4510 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

confusing, but yes.
Also, if the route is below your grade, you feel like you should do it easier, and even if you want to you don't always try your hardest- technically or physically.

mturner

Jul 30, 2008, 4:37 PM
Post #81 of 112 (4488 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
mturner wrote:
irregularpanda wrote:
mturner wrote:

Edited for my emphasis

The "correct" technique and the technique that works are at times two different things. I don't care if you can O.S. 5.11d, using the wrong "correct" technique on a 5.9+ will probably shut you down every time.

Huh what?!? I don't know what you meant by "correct" technique, but I mean the technique that is necessary coupled with the right amount of strength and other factors to send a climb. I think you're missing my point. There is always different factors with the ability to do a certain move, strength being one, technique being another. To simply say one is lacking the technique when they are using the exact same technique is an incorrect assessment.

Also, to try to get this back on track. I think the problem with sandbagging is that people sandbag using the technique excuse. For instance, a V10 climber sets a problem and calls it V3. All the V3 climbers fall on it and the V10 climber says they lack V3 technique. Assuming this isn't out of the ordinary (i.e. climber's used to climbing overhangs now trying slab), the V10 climber is probably out of touch with V3 technique and shouldn't use this excuse to sandbag.

(This post was edited by mturner on Jul 30, 2008, 4:44 PM)

bb_guns

Jul 30, 2008, 6:44 PM
Post #82 of 112 (4468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gogo] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Soft ratings:
Squamish
Red Rocks, NV
Sport climbs in Boulder Canyon, CO
Shelf Road, CO

Sandbagged:
Vedauwoo, WY
Index, WA

In general, I find that alpine climbs are rated a bit soft. Conversely, any climb with a "+" on it (especially if it has been around for over 20 years) tend to be sandbagged.

irregularpanda

Jul 30, 2008, 7:12 PM
Post #83 of 112 (4448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:

Also, to try to get this back on track. I think the problem with sandbagging is that people sandbag using the technique excuse. For instance, a V10 climber sets a problem and calls it V3. All the V3 climbers fall on it and the V10 climber says they lack V3 technique. Assuming this isn't out of the ordinary (i.e. climber's used to climbing overhangs now trying slab), the V10 climber is probably out of touch with V3 technique and shouldn't use this excuse to sandbag.

You get sandbagged in the gym recently? Maybe you lack the technique? (tongue in cheek) But seriously, there are V-whatever problems that lack any technique, and then there are v-whatever problems where the crux has nothing to do with power, but perhaps body positioning or balance or sequence. Hence, lacking V3 technique.

Or you just got sandbagged.

petsfed

Jul 30, 2008, 7:12 PM
Post #84 of 112 (4448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:

This also happens when a climber is simply unfamiliar with a technique. You're gonna feel pretty sandbagged on a V3 that requires a certain technique you've never been exposed to, even if the problem is clearly V3 once you know that technique. I've set plenty of problems at the gym that have very easy movement, but unless you've been climbing for a while, that movement will not be obvious. What will be obvious is a much harder sequence, one that I didn't set.

Valarc

Jul 30, 2008, 7:30 PM
Post #85 of 112 (4438 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
This also happens when a climber is simply unfamiliar with a technique. You're gonna feel pretty sandbagged on a V3 that requires a certain technique you've never been exposed to, even if the problem is clearly V3 once you know that technique. I've set plenty of problems at the gym that have very easy movement, but unless you've been climbing for a while, that movement will not be obvious. What will be obvious is a much harder sequence, one that I didn't set.

I run into this all the time - I like to set tricky sequences - rose moves, sneaky toe hooks, flags and drop knees. You'd be surprised how many 5.12-pulling mutant kids get thrown off a 5.9 with a deep rose.

sungam

Jul 30, 2008, 7:36 PM
Post #86 of 112 (4433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Terminology issues...
What you meanz by rose?

Valarc

Jul 30, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #87 of 112 (4429 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A rose is a deep cross-under, to the point where your head goes behind the arm being crossed under. If taken to the full reach, you basically end up facing away from the wall.

I can't really find a good quality picture or video to illustrate the move, so I hope that description makes sense.

sungam

Jul 30, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #88 of 112 (4421 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dun 'em, know what you mean.
I know it as a "full cross through".

stymingersfink

Jul 30, 2008, 9:21 PM
Post #89 of 112 (4393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
Dun 'em, know what you mean.
I know it as a "full cross through".
I believe the name for the move comes from the route "the Vampire and The Rose".

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm rong.

More than a feel will cost you though.

sungam

Jul 30, 2008, 9:27 PM
Post #90 of 112 (4390 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How much the costs?
I has a... friend... who is interested...

applewood

Jul 30, 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #91 of 112 (4384 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhu] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

....the Gunks being one of the original areas should be setting the standard - they ain't sandbagged, we just get softer all the time (and bolted routes just make it more so). I climbed at the Gunks last fall and had a great time on "easy" grades (High Exposure is great irregardless of the grade!). I returned home to WA state and realized I'd been getting soft in my local grading... time to add more sand to the old bags....and enjoy the climbing for itself not the numbers.

IMHO older routes at Joshua Tree are fairly rated, Yosemite too (although not enough below 5.6...) City of Rocks, Red Rocks, Skaha are all pretty soft.... but like alot of folks have mentioned new types of rock sometimes require a learning curve. Your local crag should feel easier to you, and hence sandbagged to others.... the hidden hold of course makes it easier, but there shouldn't be a sign (or chalk tag) pointing it out. It's supposed to be an adventure sport right? Probably best to start a few grades below your limit at new areas, but that's just common sense!

(This post was edited by applewood on Jul 30, 2008, 10:24 PM)

stymingersfink

Jul 31, 2008, 1:38 AM
Post #92 of 112 (4342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sungam wrote:
How much the costs?
chances are gud she cantz afford it.

mikej

Jul 31, 2008, 6:29 AM
Post #93 of 112 (4319 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Sandbag this and soft that, it doesn't really matter. Especially in the gym. What matters is real rock, the first ascensionist, and the local ethic."

gotta agree with panda here. but if you want a place thats not bagged, you should check out j tree. Angelic HA HA, sorry, jk. But using an ultra classic as an example, stem gem at j tree is rated by the newest guide book as a v4, most locals say its a v3. i've known v10 climbers that cant do it and i've heard of arthritic old men that can do it backwards. look at a climb, if it looks good to you, then do it. screw the grading, discern if its hard or easy on your own and why. have fun. Numbers are at best a very rough guide for reasons already discussed. hard is hard no matter what number looms over it.

mturner

Jul 31, 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #94 of 112 (4297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
You get sandbagged in the gym recently? Maybe you lack the technique? (tongue in cheek) But seriously, there are V-whatever problems that lack any technique, and then there are v-whatever problems where the crux has nothing to do with power, but perhaps body positioning or balance or sequence. Hence, lacking V3 technique.

Or you just got sandbagged.

petsfed wrote:

Both of you are missing my point. First off, this isn't meant to be a personal example, but just something I've noticed as a trend and the example I gave was completely hypothetical. I also said that the problem in question (which is hypothetical!!) is not out of the ordinary for any of the hypothetical climbers in question, so that would eliminate any possibility of it being technique oriented. In fact, many times the technique and sequence being used by the climbers failing is the same technique being used by the setter who sends. Again, this would assume it has more to do with the setter's strength (V10 climber) versus their technique (using technique a V3 climber is also using).

Maybe this hypothetical example would be better if we said a V10 climber setting a V3 problem that many V6 climbers can not do. Exaggeration yes, but it accentuates my original point that a V10 climber may be in fact out of touch with what constitutes a V3 climb or the technique versus strength a V3 climb requires. Who's in a better position to say what V3 technique is? One at or near that level? Or one far beyond that level? It'd seem most logical that one who possesses greater knowledge/experience/strength (i.e. the V10 climber) would know best, but in actuality the technique/strength bench marks needed to climber the lower grades may tend to blur. I'm not suggesting this as a rule so don't come back with, "I know a V10 climber who sets on grade" but I'm just saying some people in fact do incorrectly use technique as a way to justify wrongfully sandbagging a problem

sungam

Jul 31, 2008, 12:18 PM
Post #95 of 112 (4290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
sungam wrote:
How much the costs?
chances are gud she cantz afford it.
Fair enough.
I'll tell her to start saving.

jrathfon

Jul 31, 2008, 1:54 PM
Post #96 of 112 (4261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [applewood] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Applewood beat me to it a bit:

We should just drop the term sand-bagged. The Gunks, Seneca, Yosemite (never been), older routes at J-tree, NC granite, should be the standard.

Everything else is soft, and yes, you can see the trend of development in the last 20 years lending towards softer areas.

To contribute to the rest of the thread:

Soft: RUMNEY!!!, OBED, the Red RG, Red Rocks in general (but don't wander near rock warrior), HP40!! (try doing a V4 in pawtuckaway, I boulder V6 in HP and rocktown, and barely reach V4 in New England, north of Lincoln Woods)

On par: Gunks, Seneca, Dacks, North Conway, Cannon, J-Tree, Connecticut Trad, Western Mass

Touch easy: the New, Squamish

Think about it this way, and I may be wrong because I don't have super Gunks knowledge, but I don't think there is a 14a there (maybe one or two, but I am pretty sure none). However the 13's are purportedly Rumney 14's. It's not cause there haven't been hard climbers at the Gunks, it's because the grades are correct (read: NOT Sand-Bagged).

jrathfon

Jul 31, 2008, 1:58 PM
Post #97 of 112 (4259 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jrathfon] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And, I'm not a gunkie, I just have a respect for them sticking to their guns and keeping what real grades should be. And yeah, if you have the chance peak at old guidebooks for the old rating. An old 9+ will definitely be a stiff 10a. And be wary of 9+ still left in the book, especially in the Northeast. Keep on Struttin' anyone?

I'd rather say I climb a sold 9+ on trad. :)

petsfed

Jul 31, 2008, 2:50 PM
Post #98 of 112 (4239 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I see what you're saying. More often than not though, in the example you bring, the V3 climber simply doesn't know the technique yet, but even the V4 or V5 climber will agree that the movement isn't that hard.

One of our better setters is a V12 climber. His V2s are dead on in terms of grade, although sometimes you have to think about how to climb the problem.

csproul

Jul 31, 2008, 3:35 PM
Post #99 of 112 (4226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gogo] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

Someone once tried to tell me that Open Book at Tahquitz was a sandbagged 5.9...I didn't think that was really possible since it was the first 5.9 and therefore defined the grade.

AlexCV

Jul 31, 2008, 4:49 PM
Post #100 of 112 (4203 views)
Shortcut

Re: [csproul] Sandbagging [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

csproul wrote:
Someone once tried to tell me that Open Book at Tahquitz was a sandbagged 5.9...I didn't think that was really possible since it was the first 5.9 and therefore defined the grade.
Weird, I remember someone telling me that a specific route (forget the details) in the Dacks was sandbagged and she used the same baseline (Open Book) for comparison.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook