RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

porkchop_express

Oct 15, 2008, 4:39 AM
Post #1 of 9 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Trango Flex Cams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got a few of these in the smaller sizes and I havent gotten to use them...hopefully soon though. Just wondering if anyone who has used them has any thoughts on them? I like what I see so far...

basilisk

Oct 15, 2008, 6:17 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1044 views)
Shortcut

Re: [porkchop_express] Trango Flex Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seatbeltpants

Oct 15, 2008, 6:57 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] Trango Flex Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Search wrote:
"Your search for Trango Flex Cams returned 427 results in 0.49s."

clearly we need more opinions, and faster!

steve

brownie710

Oct 19, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #4 of 9 (921 views)
Shortcut

Re: [porkchop_express] Trango Flex Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pork,
sell them before you use them. i had the .5-4 set and thought they sucked. if you fall on them at all the splitter design no longer allowed the lobes to match, ie. you had to overcam one side shut to have the other match the crack. ten feet above the #3 at th gunks really made me say" i've got to get rid of these
since i was shaking more due to thinking about falling on them than the climb itself/
MHO

coolcat83

Oct 19, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #5 of 9 (884 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brownie710] Trango Flex Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:
pork,
sell them before you use them. i had the .5-4 set and thought they sucked. if you fall on them at all the splitter design no longer allowed the lobes to match, ie. you had to overcam one side shut to have the other match the crack. ten feet above the #3 at th gunks really made me say" i've got to get rid of these
since i was shaking more due to thinking about falling on them than the climb itself/
MHO

explain? you mean if the placement is flaired? i've never had a problem with mine, like any piece of gear they are great in some placements and suck in others

brownie710

Oct 19, 2008, 10:25 PM
Post #6 of 9 (858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coolcat83] Trango Flex Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

when i pulled the trigger, one set of the splitter could cam as far as they could (the max range) while the other side would only be half cammed (so it would not always fit into a crack, even ones not just flared). To fix it I had to wiggle the trigger and super flexible stem back and forth and was able to get them about the same cam range (not handy when pumped out and trying to fire one in. ) everybody has their faves but compared to my other mets and bd's the Trango's were not worth it for me. I took a $60 loss an consigned them and used the money to buy a new rope.

my other problem was the gap between sizes, which is something my other cams don't have. that made too much thinking for me when leading. to each their own though

asiaclimber

Oct 19, 2008, 10:26 PM
Post #7 of 9 (857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a 7 and 8 and haven't had any problems with them. I took a 15 ft fall on the 7 and it caught me so i can say no bad things about them.

coolcat83

Oct 19, 2008, 10:45 PM
Post #8 of 9 (844 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brownie710] Trango Flex Cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:
when i pulled the trigger, one set of the splitter could cam as far as they could (the max range) while the other side would only be half cammed (so it would not always fit into a crack, even ones not just flared). To fix it I had to wiggle the trigger and super flexible stem back and forth and was able to get them about the same cam range (not handy when pumped out and trying to fire one in. ) everybody has their faves but compared to my other mets and bd's the Trango's were not worth it for me. I took a $60 loss an consigned them and used the money to buy a new rope.

my other problem was the gap between sizes, which is something my other cams don't have. that made too much thinking for me when leading. to each their own though

i understand what you are saying now but i've never had that problem. mine retract evenly although if i try really hard and pull then just right i can get that to happen sitting here at the desk, never happened placing one. the stem is quite flexible...but it's a flex cam.

kane_schutzman

Oct 20, 2008, 12:27 AM
Post #9 of 9 (789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they hold falls, but if your climbing at a place say, indian creek. Don't overcam them, because it happens much easier with flex cams, than any other cam Ive used. Let me put it this way, if something gets stuck for me, its usually the flex.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook