Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Rumbling Bald Route Questions
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

saxfiend

Mar 13, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #1 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Rumbling Bald Route Questions  (North_America: United_States: North_Carolina: Western: Rumbling_Bald)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm hoping to find someone who knows the Flakeview area at Rumbling Bald and can help me identify a couple of routes there that are not in the Shull/Lambert guide book:

1. This route starts immediately to the right of Bear Hunt. It's a mixed route with gear down low and two or three bolts higher up. Balancey, high-step start. Consensus of the guys I climbed with this past weekend was it should go at 5.9.

2. This route starts about 10-15 feet to the left of the tree slung with rap rings at the top-out for Bear Hunt. (You could almost call it a second pitch for Bear Hunt.) It's also a mixed route with three or four bolts and some good placements for pro. Difficulty level is about the same or slightly easier than Bear Hunt, so I'd call it a 5.7. The most noticeable feature of this route is that it's LONG, like maybe 150 feet. I led it on a 70-meter rope and still came up about 20 feet short on rap (luckily it wasn't hard to scramble the rest of the way, but I'll have two ropes next time).

Anybody out there familiar with these two routes? They're both very nice climbs!

JL

Partner jammer

Mar 13, 2006, 8:28 PM
Post #2 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Re: Rumbling Bald Route Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can only point you to dennyg, who has an older, out-of-published guide book. It has many climbs that your does not.

Good luck!

saxfiend

Mar 13, 2006, 8:49 PM
Post #3 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I can only point you to dennyg, who has an older, out-of-published guide book. It has many climbs that your does not.

Good luck!
Thanks, I'll send him a PM if he doesn't reply here. It was kind of cool to onsight an unknown route.

How did you like the Cereal Buttress? Did you do both pitches of Fruit Loops? I thought that chimney was fun!

JL

toddtar

Mar 13, 2006, 8:51 PM
Post #4 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OKay...If you are looking at Bear Hunt and you have both your hands in that pocket that is chest high. That's Bear Hunt, just making sure we are starting at the same point.

The climb to the left is a bolted climb, should be 7 bolts. Closest thing to sport at the Bald. Sorry but, no name. It has been chopped a few times and put back each time.

At the top for Bear Hunt and the Un-named climb there are 2 routes that start more or less around the same area.
The one more to the right that goes over a bulge and clips a bolt is The Gift Certificate and longish. It has some bolts can't remember how many.
There is another to the left of that one, called The Gift 5.7. I think 4 bolts maybe 100 feet.

Sometimes people get the un-named route and Bear Hunt confussed.

Todd

Partner jammer

Mar 13, 2006, 9:01 PM
Post #5 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How did you like the Cereal Buttress? Did you do both pitches of Fruit Loops? I thought that chimney was fun!

Yup, did the chimney. A blast, but too damn short. It would of been nicer if they all were at least 3 pitches. Still, I'll be going back for some more!

saxfiend

Mar 14, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #6 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
OKay...If you are looking at Bear Hunt and you have both your hands in that pocket that is chest high. That's Bear Hunt, just making sure we are starting at the same point.

The climb to the left is a bolted climb, should be 7 bolts. Closest thing to sport at the Bald. Sorry but, no name. It has been chopped a few times and put back each time.

At the top for Bear Hunt and the Un-named climb there are 2 routes that start more or less around the same area.
The one more to the right that goes over a bulge and clips a bolt is The Gift Certificate and longish. It has some bolts can't remember how many.
There is another to the left of that one, called The Gift 5.7. I think 4 bolts maybe 100 feet.

Sometimes people get the un-named route and Bear Hunt confussed.

Todd
Well, now I am confused. The guys I was with (who've been to RB many times) said the bolted route was Bear Hunt. The one that you say is Bear Hunt (with the two-hand pocket) is the one I was asking about. If I were to rate either of these climbs as 5.7, it would be the bolted one, the one to the right is harder.

I'm fairly certain that The Gift and Gift Certificate are a good ways further to the left than where we were. Going by the topo, those two routes start around the top of Fine Line, whereas the long upper route I did was roughly midway between the top of Drivin and Cryin and Bear Hunt.

I wonder if the older Kelley guidebook is more clear on this area . . . I'll see if I can find anyone with a copy.

JL

Partner jammer

Mar 14, 2006, 8:01 PM
Post #7 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wonder if the older Kelley guidebook is more clear on this area . . . I'll see if I can find anyone with a copy.

JL

I think that is the one Denny has. The name sounds right.

toddtar

Mar 14, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #8 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The climb with the pocket is Bear Hunt. A large flake broke a while back and made it a little harder. I don't think there is good gear on Bear Hunt. The bolted climb is not Bear Hunt, that I know for sure.

The Gift certificate should be the one closest to the top out of Bear Hunt.

I hope I did not confuse you more or myself for the matter. I will give my climbing parter a call who was the FA for a lot of those climbs.

cccman

Mar 16, 2006, 5:38 PM
Post #9 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Definitive answer, Bear Hunt is the one slightly right of the obvious bolted route. It has two bolts higher up then hits the tree belay. Of the routes above the belay tree, the closer one is gift certificate. The gift starts further left. Both end up at the same place.

saxfiend

Mar 19, 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #10 of 21 (7742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Of the routes above the belay tree, the closer one is gift certificate. The gift starts further left. Both end up at the same place.
Thanks for the correction. I couldn't find a way to delete the route I added by mistake ("Bear Up"), so I just blanked it and changed the name to Deleted. Maybe somebody else will see that and get rid of it.

JL

MrMeticulous

Nov 9, 2008, 1:25 AM
Post #11 of 21 (6467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] Rumbling Bald Route Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anyone know who put the "Unknown" route up?
We were up there today and were discussing this very issue with several other groups. Bear Hunt is definitely the route to the right with only 2 bolts at top. The Shuyler Selected Climbs guide shows The Gift & The Gift Certicficate way farther to the left than they actually are. They are both almost directly above Bear Hunt/Unknown routes.

I know I'm dredging up an old thread, but this is a constant subject at the Bald. If no one knows who put this "unknown" route up to the left of Bear Hunt, I motion that the CCC and our fellow NC climbers give it a name to help alleviate all the confusion.

Suggestions:
Bear Hunt & Bear Up (Saxfeind credit :D )
Bear Hunt & Bear Left
Bear Hunt & Hunting Bears

I don't know, I just think with so many people confused about this issue, something should be done about it. And please people, only post honest helpful comments, suggestions, rants, and raves. The last thing we need is some douchebag flaming this and adding stinky poo to the fire.

Thanks
Shane

saxfiend

Nov 9, 2008, 11:33 PM
Post #12 of 21 (6417 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MrMeticulous] Rumbling Bald Route Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Boy, this one really takes me back!
MrMeticulous wrote:
We were up there today and were discussing this very issue with several other groups. Bear Hunt is definitely the route to the right with only 2 bolts at top. The Shuyler Selected Climbs guide shows The Gift & The Gift Certicficate way farther to the left than they actually are. They are both almost directly above Bear Hunt/Unknown routes.
Yeah, the guidebook was the source of my confusion 2+ years ago. This section of RB was not one of Lambert and Shull's finest moments; the topo is a barely readable mess.

Since I first posted this, I've climbed all these routes, so I know my way around now. Both of the "Gift" climbs are really nice, exposed leads, for anyone who wants to know. Real rope stretchers, too.

MrMeticulous wrote:
If no one knows who put this "unknown" route up to the left of Bear Hunt, I motion that the CCC and our fellow NC climbers give it a name to help alleviate all the confusion.
I agree; I know other climbers who've spent more time than I have at the Bald who still think this undocumented route is Bear Hunt. I'll talk to Sean (cccman) and see if he has any clues as to who put it up and what it's called; he has a number of FAs at RB and if anyone would have the answer, it'd be him.

JL

charley

Nov 10, 2008, 3:27 AM
Post #13 of 21 (6389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know the bald well but I think you are talking about the five bolt 5.5 or so that was put up around a year ago and had one bolt and an extra anchor chopped. This was discussed at great length, I believe, on the ccc website. The person who put it up or at least bolted it was on that site talking about it.

saxfiend

Nov 10, 2008, 4:11 AM
Post #14 of 21 (6379 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Rumbling Bald Route Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
I don't know the bald well but I think you are talking about the five bolt 5.5 or so that was put up around a year ago and had one bolt and an extra anchor chopped. This was discussed at great length, I believe, on the ccc website. The person who put it up or at least bolted it was on that site talking about it.
Sorry, but you're totally mixed up here. The new route you're talking about was in the Test Pilots area. The mystery route that's the subject of this message thread is in the Flakeview area; has been there for almost three years that I know of (see the date of my initial post); and is most assuredly not a 5.5 route.

JL

charley

Nov 10, 2008, 1:41 PM
Post #15 of 21 (6358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

saxfiend wrote:
charley wrote:
Sorry, but you're totally mixed up here. The new route you're talking about was in the Test Pilots area. The mystery route that's the subject of this message thread is in the Flakeview area; has been there for almost three years that I know of (see the date of my initial post); and is most assuredly not a 5.5 route.

JL
Ok, I said I didn't know it well.Blush

MrMeticulous

Nov 16, 2008, 5:11 PM
Post #16 of 21 (6285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Rumbling Bald Route Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well Sax, I gotta little update for us...

I was up at the Bachar slideshow last night in Brevard and talked to Sean about this issue. He agreed with the whole confussion thing and said "Hey, if no one is stepping up to claim it, call it what ever y'all want to" That's not verbatim, but you get the point.

So with that being said, i think it should either be your suggestion of Bear Up or something like Man Hunt, Moose Hunt, or something similar.

Now if we canjust get some other folkls to chime in on this. I don't want us to be the only ones that have a say-so in this matter.

Fellow NC (and surrounding area) climbers...
POST UP!!

Mr.M

saxfiend

Nov 16, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #17 of 21 (6253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MrMeticulous] Rumbling Bald Route Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

MrMeticulous wrote:
I was up at the Bachar slideshow last night in Brevard and talked to Sean about this issue. He agreed with the whole confussion thing and said "Hey, if no one is stepping up to claim it, call it what ever y'all want to"
Cool, I'm glad you touched base with Sean. I'd hoped I'd be climbing with him this weekend at T-Wall and ask about it then, but I got sick and he had to cancel for other reasons.

So -- let's see if anyone else has suggestions other than what's been put forward so far:

1. Bear Up
2. Bear Left
3. Man Hunt
4. ?

JL

Partner mr8615

Nov 16, 2008, 11:20 PM
Post #18 of 21 (6229 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll vote for Bear Left.

mazzystr

Nov 20, 2008, 12:45 AM
Post #19 of 21 (6187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mr8615] Rumbling Bald Route Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you guys should post this topic to the http://www.carolinaclimbers.org/ forum.

i'm sure there will be concerned partys there.

fwiw...i like the hunt theme. what about bargain hunt? i think the climb is easier than bear hunt and it kind of follows the gift and gift certificate theme.

/Chris C

MrMeticulous

Nov 21, 2008, 3:09 AM
Post #20 of 21 (6149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mazzystr] Rumbling Bald Route Questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice suugestion with the "hunt" theme Chris.

saxfiend

Nov 21, 2008, 5:12 PM
Post #21 of 21 (6119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, the mystey is resolved. We now have the actual name of the route from the person who bolted it. The route name is Bear Cub. See the message thread below on the CCC site for background:

http://carolinaclimbers.org/...viewtopic.php?t=1578

I'll update the route in the RDB.

Thanks for everybody's input.

JL

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook