Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

krosbakken

Nov 12, 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #26 of 69 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nkane] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

nkane wrote:
Finally, I think the nicros walls with naturals are kinda lame. They get all greasy and are hard to clean, and i'ts annoying to have to avoid a natural foothold that isn't on, when it's the perfect place to smear or flag.

Yes agreed but I do like them, but maybe I just like the change from my older gym that was small and lame.

And I havn't really had problems with the naturals being greasy but idk.

Tree_wrangler

Nov 12, 2008, 11:40 PM
Post #27 of 69 (3244 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noremac] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothing about them.

Dislikes:

Everything about them.

fxgranite

Nov 13, 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #28 of 69 (3230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tree_wrangler wrote:
Nothing about them.

Dislikes:

Everything about them.

So in your opinion should he build the gym and then burn it down or just not build it?

Anyway, I'm going to have to add a +1 to the quality of the routes. Making the holds smaller and farther apart does not a good route make (most of the time anyway).

Rotate the route changing and do it frequently. choose a wall every week and change all the routes on it.

Proper temperature control also a must. I hate to be "that guy with his shirt off" and try and avoid it, but if the gym is 40000 degrees, its coming off. I don't think I've ever been too cold in a gym.

Top out boulders a definite plus.

Plenty of lead routes although I don't think I've ever been in a gym and thought: "man I wish there were more lead routes." I guess most of the time, there are clips up the same route that has a toprope set up so you can choose. Do this and all will be good.

Heinous clips are not a fun way to make the route harder. Hell if its that poorly thought out I'll usually just skip the bolt and we all know how great that looks to the insurance companies.

Clean holds. Give them a wash every once and awhile.

Stuff I don't like:

-Initiation fees. WTF is up with that?

-Completely over the top anal rules. Gotta be safe, I understand that, but some gyms are just over the top.

-untended children. Tend to those little shits!

EDIT: glaringly obvious grammatical errors

(This post was edited by fxgranite on Nov 13, 2008, 12:19 AM)

Tree_wrangler

Nov 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
Post #29 of 69 (3226 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So in your opinion should he build the gym and then burn it down or just not build it?

Well, fire IS pretty.

But he needs a job. And he might actually like this one. And I support that.

Partner devkrev

Nov 13, 2008, 12:44 AM
Post #30 of 69 (3218 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fxgranite] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fxgranite wrote:
-untended children. Tend to those little shits!

I agree, the only gym that I had gone to with any regularity had a separate gym across the parking lot for the birthday parties.

It was really nice.

nika

Nov 13, 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #31 of 69 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
Valarc wrote:
krosbakken wrote:
Likes/Needs

- good route setting
- Nicros wall with naturals

These two don't go well together. It's really tough to set true quality footwork if there are a zillion natural feet everywhere. The best quality routesetting you'll get is from a wall with very little natural texture, so you can assign specific feet to force interesting and creative movements. A nicros wall means there will always be a foot right where you want it, and there is much less need for skillful footwork.

As a climber and a routesetter, I prefer plain plywood walls over all the textured shit. If it must be concrete, I prefer it to be pretty smooth, so you can force folks to use the feet you want, and not any old foot.

Ok, I understand the artiste aspect, but I'm off the boat on this one. First, Nicros isn't yr only alternative for featured surfaces. Second, if as course-setter it irritates you that folks slobber r. foot out onto the smear, instead of using the proper orange chip, just define yr route by requiring tracking. Then if they stray, you can police them by shouting out embarassing comments over the PA.

Several advantages to (good) featured surfaces. First, you can put more routes and variations in a smaller space. Each line automatically has three variations: All features/feet on; tracking of set holds; and set holds for hands w. only features for feet.

Second, especially important for the n00bs, featured surfaces facilitate the transition to the Great Outdoors.

Third, featured surfaces help to compensate for poor or infrequent route-setting. I'm sure that Valarc conscientiously sets routes so that everyone from 4'4" to 6'4" can use the required holds, but you may not always be able to find/retain setters w. that level of engagement or ability.

I've seen a number of gyms in Europe that really use that approach to advantage, and it helps with efficiency-- two climbers of disparate ability can use the same rope/line, and at peak times, there's less rope-dancing required.

Sorry, but as a very gymratty gymrat, I totally disagree. I've been stuck climbing in European (English) gyms for the past few months, and one of the biggest problems I have with them (among many) is that the walls of the gym are typically way too highly featured. What does this mean in practice?

1. It's hard for people to figure out what the deal is with routes unless there is a paragraph written about each one, explaining what each one is, with circles and arrows... . Can climbers use the features? Only the "bad" features, not the giant built-in jug? Can they use them for their hands, or feet only? Sure, you can have multiple versions of every single route that vary in difficulty depending on use of features, but this just creates bad routes. Maybe, when you eliminate features, most of the route will feel like the same grade and then suddenly you'll have on ridiculously cruxy move because the one critical foothold is gone. I'd rather have a few good routes than a ton of "variations" depending on what rules you go by on routes that are bad to begin with.
2. These features get gross. Perma-slime that isn't just brushable chalk, but also rubber and other gross stuff from people's shoes. Slippy and sucky.
3. Possibly most important: I've seen walls that are so featured that climbing the features alone creates a boulder problem that is about V2/V3 in difficulty. So if that's the upper limit that route setters can set at, then how on earth can anyone seriously use that gym to train? For some reason, English gyms love their features, and it is ultimately just a waste of space, and probably money, too.

Also, a response: you're not really going to mimic outdoor climbing indoors, anyways. People who want to do outdoor climbing are using climbing gyms to train, and they will truly get more out of climbing good routes than climbing an over-featured slimey poorly-set route indoors.

Also, I'll just echo a few of the other points made in the thread:
1. Keep your holds clean. The more often you clean them, the cleaner they will stay. The acid mixture that cleans holds does a good job at getting rid of chalk, but less so at getting rid of the rubber and other caked up slime that gets on holds. So if the holds are in constant cleaning rotation, the ickiness builds up more slowly.
2. Set routes well and often, and either maintain them or take them down. Don't leave up routes with all the tape hanging down. And as GO pointed out, every route setter certainly does have a style (he should know! Tongue), so do have a lot of them.
3. Use tape, not some other clever method like hold color, to mark the holds. Hold color is the popular European way, and I've seen a few US gyms that do it too. Just don't.

Those are pretty much the crucial things. Everything else (lockers, gear shops, temperatures, lights blinding belayers), is just frills.

hafilax

Nov 13, 2008, 12:49 AM
Post #32 of 69 (3216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [devkrev] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed unintended children. Get rid of the bastards.

k.l.k

Nov 13, 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #33 of 69 (3214 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nika] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nika wrote:
I've been stuck climbing in . . . English gyms for the past few months [ . ..]

There's your problem right there.

nika

Nov 13, 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #34 of 69 (3202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
nika wrote:
I've been stuck climbing in . . . English gyms for the past few months [ . ..]

There's your problem right there.

Believe me, I know that that's a problem. I know, I know, I know.

But, that doesn't get rid of any of my points about over-featured walls. The English gyms do take it to comical extremes (creating slab bouldering walls with giant fixed features), but I've seen it to a lesser extent on American walls like the ones made by Enterprise where you simply can't set boulder problems harder than V5 or V6 because that's the difficulty of climbing the wall by features alone.

Are you saying that somehow, magically, in the rest of Europe, climbing walls with features don't have any of the problems I talked about?

k.l.k

Nov 13, 2008, 1:13 AM
Post #35 of 69 (3193 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nika] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nika wrote:
Are you saying that somehow, magically, in the rest of Europe, climbing walls with features don't have any of the problems I talked about?

Well, in most of the ones I've climbed on/at, the panels are really clean. Of course, as one poster noted above, German-speaking cultures tend to have a precision and, well, cleanliness that some others may find a bit obsessive.

The basic three-way deal--one route with everything; another with tracking; and a third mixed; just didn't seem terribly complicated to me, and it didn't seem to confuse many folks I watched. (Caveat-- I'm not talking the big features, i.e., beach balls, stalactites, etc.)

For routes 5.12 and up, and for truly difficult bouldering, it's probably easier to vary course setting and to eliminate cheating with just plain plywood and tons of changing holds. But most gym-goers aren't in that territory. That's why the best gyms I've climbed in combine the different types of wall.

The Castle seems a good example, even though it has a very un-Prussian ambiance (i.e., it's pretty disgusting). It had three segregated bouldering areas: One large one, with mostly easy routes for beginners and warm-up or cool down; a much higher featured wall downstairs; and another room with plain old plywood and lots of changeable holds for mostly harder routes.

Very functional, and many of the better Euro gyms attempt a similar approach to the lead areas.

curt

Nov 13, 2008, 6:06 AM
Post #36 of 69 (3155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
nika wrote:

Well, in most of the ones I've climbed on/at, the panels are really clean. Of course, as one poster noted above, German-speaking cultures tend to have a precision and, well, cleanliness that some others may find a bit obsessive.

The basic three-way deal--one route with everything; another with tracking; and a third mixed; just didn't seem terribly complicated to me, and it didn't seem to confuse many folks I watched. (Caveat-- I'm not talking the big features, i.e., beach balls, stalactites, etc.)

For routes 5.12 and up, and for truly difficult bouldering, it's probably easier to vary course setting and to eliminate cheating with just plain plywood and tons of changing holds. But most gym-goers aren't in that territory. That's why the best gyms I've climbed in combine the different types of wall.

The Castle seems a good example, even though it has a very un-Prussian ambiance (i.e., it's pretty disgusting). It had three segregated bouldering areas: One large one, with mostly easy routes for beginners and warm-up or cool down; a much higher featured wall downstairs; and another room with plain old plywood and lots of changeable holds for mostly harder routes.

Very functional, and many of the better Euro gyms attempt a similar approach to the lead areas.

If I ever find myself seriously caring about climbing gym subtleties, please remind me to blow my brains out.

Curt

Nick864

Nov 13, 2008, 6:57 AM
Post #37 of 69 (3147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1. Change the routes constantly!
2. Do not use colored holds to mark routes. They get covered in chalk and then grey blue green and black holds all look the same from above. Just use tape!
3. Have training areas with Hang boards, Bachar ladders etc.
4. Hire people who are competent. When I go into a new gym, and an 18yo noob tries to tell me im letting down my partner too fast during the belay test it makes me want to leave.
5. To be honest I dont think the padded floors are necessary. I went to a couple gyms in europe where the rout area had wood floor and it seemed fine to me.
6. AC!
7. Topouts for the bouldering to practice mantles. Areas with less than perfect topouts/ strange angles. Make it awkward.
8. Allow month by month payment that can be cancelled any time without fees. Or at least something like 4 month memberships. Though I realize you lose customers, climbers want to be outdoors as much as possible. Memberships that can be used for training and then cancelled in the summer.

fatoomchk

Nov 13, 2008, 9:42 AM
Post #38 of 69 (3137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Noremac,
Firstly, good luck in starting your new gym. I hope it goes well.

I think you have lots of good feedback from the other above posts, so I'll only suggest the following:

Pros:
1. crack climbing area is a good idea
2. make sure that there are lockers available! I can't believe the number of gyms that don't have a secure locker area.
3. Short duration memberships - ie, a few weeks or months only. I travel a lot for work, and I hate getting reamed with "casual" usage rates if I'm only in town for a few weeks.

That is all.

blueshrimp

Nov 13, 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #39 of 69 (3130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fatoomchk] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's what I prefer in gyms

1. Spacious feel, good light. Do not like dark corners and routes that get onto each other because they're so close together.

2. Walls with features that at least "try" to reproduce what is found outside.

3. Light, light, light! No dark corners, sunshine coming in through sun roof or similar would be ideal.

4. Good price. Expensive gyms suck.

Dislikes:

1. Overly paranoid gym staff that try to "correct" your belaying by grabbing your rope and saying "you should belay palm up instead of palm down" or something silly/irrelevant while your partner is struggling up the 5.11b crux, causing you to want to smack the gym staff, as he is endangering your partner by distracting you.

2. Dark gyms or dark corners. Did I already say that? Tongue

jimo

Nov 13, 2008, 1:40 PM
Post #40 of 69 (3112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We have a pretty good gym here, the rout setters are actually climbers, not gym rats- a definite plus. The only problem that I've noticed is when there are two routes or problems very near each other using the same or similar colored marking tape I get all f'd up.
Although I do not utilize it, there are yoga classes every Wednesday- good idea! A weight room might be a good idea.
Keep the kids separate from the climbers.
I dig the demo nights- 5.10 is at the gym tonight, gonna go check out some new kicks!
Lastly, if your inclined to find a carpenter / climber to build the wall, don't get his input then hire unskilled labor to build the structure...
Good Luck!

Partner cracklover

Nov 13, 2008, 3:17 PM
Post #41 of 69 (3090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fatoomchk] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fatoomchk wrote:
1. crack climbing area is a good idea

I second that ^^^

Hey Nika - Tongue Not my fault you can't read my routes right!

GWink

k.l.k

Nov 13, 2008, 5:28 PM
Post #42 of 69 (3067 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
If I ever find myself seriously caring about climbing gym subtleties, please remind me to blow my brains out.

Curt

Better take a gun, then, if you plan an extended trip to England.

fxgranite

Nov 13, 2008, 6:05 PM
Post #43 of 69 (3054 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
curt wrote:

Curt

Better take a gun, then, if you plan an extended trip to England.

Those are allowed on a plane now?

And I forgot to mention earlier that I'd like that rad sick red route that I have dialed to be in the center of the gym so that everyone can see me do it...Wink

clews

Nov 13, 2008, 8:33 PM
Post #44 of 69 (3029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One thing that has been missed is eliminating bad fall areas. At the gym I work at we have a few areas where we just don't set anymore because of the number of people who have hurt themselves falling there.

Neel

Nov 15, 2008, 5:06 AM
Post #45 of 69 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimo] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jimo wrote:
The only problem that I've noticed is when there are two routes or problems very near each other using the same or similar colored marking tape I get all f'd up.

lol, especially when your colour blind belay partner tries to give you beta. "why aren't you using that huge green jug?" .... "..uh... there's no orange jug, there's an orange one..."

Agree with all the membership posts. wtf is with initiation fees? Just have a simple monthly and annual rate.

I've seen:
1st month = x + y, consecutive months = x
Annual = a + b initiation fee
6 months = c + d initiation fee

Just make it X per month and X*10 or so for Annual. If my regular gym can do it (and gyms around here are notoriously bad for fee structures), why can't my climbing gym?

lrossi

Nov 15, 2008, 5:42 AM
Post #46 of 69 (2998 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Neel] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to what folks have already written ...

Ropes are important! First, nothing gives me less confidence than being at the crux and my partner can't feed the rope because the ancient sheath has rolled up and jammed up in the ATC. Please replace bad ropes more than once per decade.

Second, a few gyms I have seen have fixed Grigris. Bad. Let the customers bring and use whatever belay device they want. And make them tie in, don't give them a locking 'biner which is pretied.

Don't require anchoring the belayer, and allow the rope to move side-to-side instead of fixing it in one spot on the bar ... it's nice to be able to move around and slide the rope to keep your partner from taking big swinging falls. OK, belay anchors are nice for little girls belaying big fat guys, but don't require it. You can do an extra wrap of the rope around the bar to increase friction.

In the bouldering area, have a mix of overhung and vertical or just slightly overhung walls. I've seen some gyms where everything is hugely overhung, and it just really makes all the easier problems feel the same - jug hauls. A variety of wall pitches in the bouldering area will make for more interesting problems.

Have a reduced day-pass price for people who are only bouldering - they are using less of your gym after all. Also don't make them take a belay test to boulder! I travel a lot and taking a belay test so I can boulder some place exactly once is very silly, but I've seen it.

Don't have a one-time fee to become a member. It really pisses off those of us who may be only spending a few weeks there, and discourages new people.

But of course, good routes are the most important thing.

climbingaggie03

Nov 15, 2008, 6:10 AM
Post #47 of 69 (2990 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In addition to alot of things that have already been posted, one thing that I don't see in too many gyms is a good slab wall. Generally if a gym has a slab wall it's pretty much only for birthday parties. The gym at my college had a great slab that started lower angle, got steeper, climbed an overlap, then went vertical. I learned alot about footwork and balance on that slab.

shimmer

Nov 15, 2008, 5:04 PM
Post #48 of 69 (2953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lrossi] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lrossi wrote:
In addition to what folks have already written ...

Second, a few gyms I have seen have fixed Grigris. Bad. Let the customers bring and use whatever belay device they want. And make them tie in, don't give them a locking 'biner which is pretied.
The insurance at the gym I work for won't allow members to bring in belay devices and ropes. It has to be our equipment. That may be the case in other gyms as well.
In reply to:
Don't require anchoring the belayer, and allow the rope to move side-to-side instead of fixing it in one spot on the bar ... it's nice to be able to move around and slide the rope to keep your partner from taking big swinging falls. OK, belay anchors are nice for little girls belaying big fat guys, but don't require it. You can do an extra wrap of the rope around the bar to increase friction.
Another insurance requirement. Unfortunately, climbing gyms don't make their money off climbers, they make their money off birthday parties and soccer moms, so they have to cater to the lowest faction possible and prevent 'all' accidents (or take most unreasonable precautions to avoid them).
In reply to:
But of course, good routes are the most important thing.
Yes.

djlachelt

Nov 17, 2008, 9:27 PM
Post #49 of 69 (2882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gogounou] Climbing Gym Likes/Dislikes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gogounou wrote:
There have been a number of good suggestions here, but one that immediately comes to mind: have a up-to-date board at the desk/toward the front with the location and grade of the new routes that have been set. It's such a small thing, but after moving, and going from a gym that did it to one that doesn't, I realize the simple convenience.

J

Yes, this is nice, but is not necessary if you have a rotation where you strip and reset in sections, as a couple of other people have suggested. And i agree with someone else about stripping and reseting a section every week. Your members are coming in every week and are always looking for a new route to try.

djlachelt

Nov 17, 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #50 of 69 (2871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are serious then I encourage you to visit http://www.ClimbingWallIndustry.org and consider coming to next Climbing Wall Summit.

The 2009 Climbing Wall Summit will take place April 30-May 3, 2009 at the Boulder Outlook Hotel in Boulder, Colorado. The web site should have something posted in the next few weeks. Right now you can see the info about the 2008 summit and get an idea of what topics you can expect to find next year.

This is a working trade show where owners and other people in the industry (setters, wall builders, hold companies, etc) discuss real issues about how to run a profitable and safe business.

There you'll get lots of valuable information from real business owners that know what works and what doesn't. Here, on this site, you'll get anecdotal info but not much you can really use to create your business plan.

PM me if you have questions about the summit that aren't answered at the CWA site.

Good luck

(This post was edited by djlachelt on Nov 17, 2008, 10:19 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook