Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

dingus

Nov 24, 2008, 6:59 PM
Post #26 of 33 (1260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Wearing gloves belaying? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

markc wrote:
dingus wrote:
markc wrote:
The rope catching on dry edges while rappelling or flaking isn't great, either. I think I know what I'm asking for for X-mas.

AAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(I know it well)

I've gotten it down to a sharp inhalation through gritted teeth. That bothers the partners less. Let's see if I need telling a third time, or if this will learn me.

dingus wrote:
I use cheap assed leather gloves from the hardware store. I go through several pair a season (I do a lot of trail work too) and can't bring myself to buy $30+ gloves when $12 gloves will work just as well.

I'll have to decide between el cheapo and fancy. I could always clean up and use a pair of cheap work gloves for a few outings to see how I like it in principle before ponying up.

I wear them hiking too. I think that was/is a big component to the skin split problem.

As a result the leather gets sweat-soaked, then dries with the salt-patina.

Shortens the life of the leather it does, same as with golf gloves.

If you only use those belay gloves for belaying and rapping, they'll probably hold up fine. You may not solve your skin split issue though.

Anyway, hell, try the good gloves (they climbing specific gloves DO fit nice and are well-made) and if they don't hould up replace em with cheapos.

I just bought the 5th or 6th pair this season (our seasons run long here), Wells Lamont, at Osh for twelve bucks, yesterday, in fact! (used em on a local peak trail hike and sweated them up pretty good too)

Cheers
DMT

jakedatc

Nov 24, 2008, 9:29 PM
Post #27 of 33 (1239 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] Wearing gloves belaying? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mark.. the gloves i posted about are only 20 bucks and you can sometimes find coupons for West marine. They are built to get wet and dried over and over since thats what happens racing sailboats. Which means you can wash them easily and be good to go again. They also make an all half finger version and an all full finger version

i got rope burn once belaying and was NOT amused.. i need to make sure i bring them on multipitch tradding with me too for rapping.

shockabuku

Nov 24, 2008, 9:45 PM
Post #28 of 33 (1233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Wearing gloves belaying? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I belay with gloves, even sport climbing using a Gri-gri; it keeps the slippery aluminum residue from transferring onto my hands.

shockabuku

Nov 24, 2008, 9:54 PM
Post #29 of 33 (1229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Wearing gloves belaying? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
I forgot that Dingus brought this up before. I get skin splits fairly often. (I have a couple right now, and they're not even from climbing.) I usually end multi-day trips with at least a few splits. Putting pressure on them while climbing isn't fun. The rope catching on dry edges while rappelling or flaking isn't great, either. I think I know what I'm asking for for X-mas.

I used to have skin splits in my finger tips all the time during the winter. The worst was when I was in Ranger school where I was forced to drink lots of water and didn't get enough to eat. Eventually I started taking a heavy multi-vitamin, drinking gatorade instead of water, and using Burt's Bee's shea butter hand repair cream. Now I haven't had one for about a year. I also had dry mouth the more water I drank. It turned out I was slightly depleting my electrolytes and it was effecting my skin.

Edit to add: gloves with wicking liners make it worse, I notice this a lot when I'm skiing.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Nov 24, 2008, 9:55 PM)

trenchdigger

Nov 24, 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #30 of 33 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Wearing gloves belaying? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
I wear one or both belaying with my Cinch
i do not like the standard belay gloves by metolius, PMI etc. so i said "who uses gloves for rope work ALL the time?" Sailors !
super comfortable, good padding but still tons of dexterity and the cut off index finger and thumb let me load and use the Cinch much easier.
[image]http://images.westmarine.com/large/7814494S.jpg[/image]

YES! I use the same ones, except the model with the 3/4 finger (tips exposed on all fingers). Perfecto...

jason_martin

Nov 25, 2008, 12:59 AM
Post #31 of 33 (1192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Wearing gloves belaying? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://alpineinstitute.blogspot.com/...love-confession.html

patmay81

Nov 25, 2008, 1:14 AM
Post #32 of 33 (1187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I only wear gloves when its cold out, and even then its better to just tape warm packets to your wrist and keep an extra in each pocket. alpine, I obviously wear gloves, but then again I rarely rope up.

donald949

Nov 25, 2008, 5:31 AM
Post #33 of 33 (1161 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Deff wear gloves for belaying, lowering and rapping. Keep the Al off the hands, and the rope gets abrasive if rapping more than one pitch. But I'm that 230 lb climbing dude out there.
Shock, thank for the info on cracked fingers and electrolytes, I'll have to start adding them to my diet a little. Especially when I'm out for an extended backpacking trip. Thats the worst.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook