RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

birdpond

Dec 5, 2008, 5:42 AM
Post #1 of 7 (2524 views)
Shortcut

Gotta make a decision
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum and wanting to get serious about wildlife and nature/pet photography, and this seems like a place that would understand the special needs of this type photography..

Just purchased new Nikon D90 with kit lens and Nikor micro/macro (only have until tomorrow or Saturday at the latest to get refund if needed). I like it overall however . . .
I got the camera because of the video capabilty but I'm not thrilled with that. ESPECIALLY for taking tiny-creature videos with the heavy macro lens and trying to manual focus to boot!

My big conflict is my passion is in both semi-pro still AND video on a small budget of less than $6000 - $7000 total including software.

Considering exchanging D90 for D80 with 18-200 VP Superzoom (keeping the macro I bought) and saving for a Canon GL2 video camera (new or used) . . .OR starting all over with new brands?

Or let me know if I should keep what I have and invest in a better zoom in the near future? (Maybe they'll take the kit lens back and credit me toward the zoom?)

I appreciate any feedback I get on such short notice and am eager to be more active here once my equipment decision is finalized.

: - )

gunit

Dec 5, 2008, 7:19 AM
Post #2 of 7 (2482 views)
Shortcut

Re: [birdpond] Gotta make a decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems like you are going down the Nikon SLR path (or are already down it), but have you looked at the Canon 5D Mark II? It was just released and may be a bit pricey ($2700 for the body), but shoots 1080p video and is getting excellent reviews. For more info/reviews of the video capability check out http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/ . He got his hands on a prototype from Canon and has made some amazing video for what is really an excellent DSLR.

birdpond

Dec 5, 2008, 7:28 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2473 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunit] Gotta make a decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, and WOW what a quick reply! I will check that out -- possibly, if I end up only needing that ONE camera and the lenses I can get what I need and still stay within my overall budget? I will check out the link immediately and I
In reply to:
really appreciate the suggestion.

blondgecko

Dec 5, 2008, 10:04 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, if you go down the Canon route the EF 100 2.8 USM Macro is a fantastic macro lens, that doubles as one of their best portrait lenses, at a relatively budget price.

birdpond

Dec 5, 2008, 2:59 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2376 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blondgecko] Gotta make a decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks -- it seems the new Canon should be a real contender for me. IF I can afford it and still get good lenses, tripods etc etc . . .that is what's iffy right now. Budget is a real concern. I need to weigh the accessories prices into this as well . . .

I'm not loyal to any brand right now, this will be my first dslr.

Have any of you actually used the new Canon yet?? My local store will not even have one for me to look at for a couple months.

(This post was edited by birdpond on Dec 5, 2008, 6:58 PM)

USnavy

Dec 6, 2008, 1:40 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

birdpond wrote:
Thanks -- it seems the new Canon should be a real contender for me. IF I can afford it and still get good lenses, tripods etc etc . . .that is what's iffy right now. Budget is a real concern. I need to weigh the accessories prices into this as well . . .

I'm not loyal to any brand right now, this will be my first dslr.

Have any of you actually used the new Canon yet?? My local store will not even have one for me to look at for a couple months.

IMO if you want to shot video get a video recorder. DSLRs are not video cameras. They are by original design designed to shoot stills. If you want to shoot video buy a piece of equipment designed to shoot video. There are video recorders on the market that will shoot full HD 1080P @ 16:9 with Dolby Digital audio encoding straight onto a hard drive for less then $3,000 that are professional enough to create professional movies with.

A picture is about the photographer not the camera. I have seen a guy with a $4,000 camera get showed up by a guy with a $600 camera. Keep that in mind when you get in the mind set that buying a more expensive camera will by default product brilliant photos. Yes quality cameras does give an additional boost in final picture quality but not if you don’t know how to make the absolute most of the camera in the first place.

(This post was edited by USnavy on Dec 6, 2008, 1:42 AM)

birdpond

Dec 6, 2008, 1:58 AM
Post #7 of 7 (2294 views)
Shortcut

Re: [USnavy] Gotta make a decision [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

EXCELLENT points and I agree completely. I think I've decided to keep my Nikon D90 (the movie mode is still fun and might be useful if something interesting happens while shooting stills) and save for that video camera you mentioned (is there one you recommend I look into?)

There is much I really like about the D90 -- including LONG battery life and it's great for low-light. I'll learn how to get the most out of it and my yummy Nikkor lenses.

THANK YOU everyone, the advice has been very helpful!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook