RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

brownie710

Dec 16, 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #1 of 16 (3779 views)
Shortcut

owners of misty mt cadillac for trad
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

how are the gear loops placed for racking trad gear on (i know there is six but how is the placement)?

too far back?

just right?

i hate gear slings and i don't have a shop that sells MM near me.

thanks

rsmillbern

Dec 16, 2008, 5:13 PM
Post #2 of 16 (3765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brownie710] owners of misty mt cadillac for trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:
how are the gear loops placed for racking trad gear on (i know there is six but how is the placement)?

too far back?

just right?

thanks

I love mine. There are two adjustments in the front that allow you to center the loops where you like them. The only problem might be if you got the wrong size... I find them pretty easy to access all the loops. It is still a little jumbled when I have lots and lots of gear, but I don' think that is a factor of the harness.

I usually put pro on the 4 upper ones and misc anchor/belay devise/extra biners/long slings/ect... on the lower (further back) ones.

altelis

Dec 16, 2008, 5:23 PM
Post #3 of 16 (3750 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] owners of misty mt cadillac for trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^^ pretty much exactly what i feel

though i will say for the sake of speed of transitions on multipitch routes i'm trying desperately to get used to using a gear sling

still hate it though

scottb

Dec 16, 2008, 6:09 PM
Post #4 of 16 (3701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The gear loops are just right for me. I like how they are far enough back that the gear doesn't hang between your legs when you high step.

I usually place the pro on the front, maybe with a few tripled slings if there's room. More slings and a few loose wiregates on the upper-rear loops. Belay device, lockers and anchor gear go on the rear-lower loop. Works well for me.

It's a good harness. Highly recommended.

Edit: here's a pic of my crotch I happen to have... can't really see the rear gear loops, though.

(This post was edited by scottb on Dec 16, 2008, 6:29 PM)

Gmburns2000

Dec 16, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #5 of 16 (3684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy it, feed it, love it, sleep with it, pat it on the back when it has a bad day - and you shall be rewarded.

Oddly, though, I ended up buying the BD chest sling because the weight of my gear kept pulling my pants down. Crazy Regardless, I would not buy another harness unless it had six loops as the Cadillac does, and the two buckles on either side allow for easy centering.

I also tend to spread out my gear (essential stuff up front and center with non-essentail stuff in the back) and use all the gear loops. I've never had a problem grabbing stuff off the lowest loops in the back unless I didn't stack my gear properly.

nthusiastj

Dec 16, 2008, 7:04 PM
Post #6 of 16 (3648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] owners of misty mt cadillac for trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rsmillbern wrote:
brownie710 wrote:

too far back?

just right?

thanks

I love mine. There are two adjustments in the front that allow you to center the loops where you like them. The only problem might be if you got the wrong size... I find them pretty easy to access all the loops. It is still a little jumbled when I have lots and lots of gear, but I don' think that is a factor of the harness.

I usually put pro on the 4 upper ones and misc anchor/belay devise/extra biners/long slings/ect... on the lower (further back) ones.

Ditto

tigerlilly

Dec 16, 2008, 7:23 PM
Post #7 of 16 (3627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

On the smaller sizes, the two rear gear loops on each side are stacked directly above one another, which takes some getting used to. I had trouble at first, clipping stuff into both loops at once. I've heard this is not true of the larger sizes. Otherwise, gear loop position is good.

Kathy

brownie710

Dec 16, 2008, 8:17 PM
Post #8 of 16 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tigerlilly] owners of misty mt cadillac for trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks to everyone for the info,
tigerlilly, i will probably buy a medium so it sounds like the six gear loops are almost like four with the two rear sitting on top of the back two. Do you have trouble racking slings/large cams on the back to and reaching/placing them? I bought and returned a petzl corax because the rear loops were way to far back to be of any use to me. Thanks for the info

Gmburns2000

Dec 16, 2008, 8:38 PM
Post #9 of 16 (3594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:
tigerlilly, i will probably buy a medium so it sounds like the six gear loops are almost like four with the two rear sitting on top of the back two. Do you have trouble racking slings/large cams on the back to and reaching/placing them? I bought and returned a petzl corax because the rear loops were way to far back to be of any use to me. Thanks for the info

I own a medium and have had the problem of clipping both loops at the same time, though I don't think the loops are directly above each other. However, it is an uncommon occurance that, particularly if I'm paying attention, isn't really a problem.

I do have my partner sometimes (un)clip items on the rear gear loops every now and again due to an inability to reach / see the gear. That's why I tend to put non-essential items back there that I would only use at belay (water, shoes, anchor cordalette, etc).

vegastradguy

Dec 16, 2008, 8:52 PM
Post #10 of 16 (3585 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:

too far back?

just right?

thanks

if you want 6 useful loops, i'd go with the yates astroman- it doesnt have stacked loops like the Misty. the old astroman had 7 loops- i LOVED that harness back when i racked on my harness.

i liked the cadillac, but only wore it for a season before i replaced it with something else with 4 loops and switched to a gear sling.

the cadillac's rear bottom loops are for non-essentials only (as noted above), and i've occasionally clipped the upper and lower loops together with draws that i rack on the rear upper loops.

personally, if i ever wear that harness again, i'd clip the lower rear loops off. these days, i only use the front two loops for draws and stoppers, leaving the rear two for anchor stuff, belay device, etc, etc.

k.l.k

Dec 16, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #11 of 16 (3576 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Almost never wear mine. But the gear loops aren't an issue for me since I prefer a gear sling anyway.

The thing is just too heavy and clunky for me to climb in effectively. The only place I appreciate it is at a grim hanging belay.

grimbo

Dec 16, 2008, 9:17 PM
Post #12 of 16 (3569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all of the Cadillac love everybody!

We have addressed the stacked gear loop issue on the Cadillac, and it should no longer be a problem. The lower gear loops, on all sizes, are positioned between the upper 2. If you order one, make sure you request one made the "new" way, as we still have a few of the older ones in stock.

If you have any questions, email me at mg@mistymountain.com

Thanks
Mike Grimm
Misty Mountain Threadworks

tigerlilly

Dec 16, 2008, 9:22 PM
Post #13 of 16 (3563 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brownie710 wrote:

Like GMBurns, I rack things I won't need until the next belay or later on the lower rear loops when leading - water, approach shoes, anchor gear, belay device, etc. I rack draws on the upper rear loops (half on each side), larger cams on right front, small cams, nuts and Tricams on left front. Since my draws are all alike, I don't need to see them to grab one, so I can do it without looking. I can see the rear loops if I twist around, but don't need to with this setup. I'm a new leader, and this is the system my mentor uses, and so far, it's working for me.

Kathy

brownie710

Dec 16, 2008, 11:14 PM
Post #14 of 16 (3500 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grimbo] owners of misty mt cadillac for trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

small world Mike, we connected via email today about the harness. sounds like i just need to specify about wanting the new type of caddy. Thanks to everyone for info and thoughts, i'm going to go with a medium caddy!!!

drjghl

Dec 20, 2008, 4:57 PM
Post #15 of 16 (3417 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed in a Cadillac for years. Great harness.

There are only two downsides for me. One is cost. The thing is expensive. The other thing has to do with the overlapping gear loops. I wear a small harness. Thankfully, the solution is simple and already mentioned. I simply cut off one of the redundant loops in the back on each side. Voila.

For me, the best aspect of the Cadillac is the short rise. If you find that your harness rides up very high when you are hanging, this harness might reduce that. I also like the size of the gear loops and the locations. The loops aren't too small. They are not too far forward. And they are symmetrically placed. I don't know why harness makers can't get this right.

Some people don't like the Caddy. Hopefully, it's the right harness for you.

brownie710

Dec 20, 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #16 of 16 (3369 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drjghl] owners of misty mt cadillac for trad [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks drjghl,
i actually checked one out today and i have to say that I'm one of those fruits who like their gear closer to the front, they are stacked similiar to the corax, too far behind me. who would have thought i liked my nuts swining against my thighsWink

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook