RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

lizhenstridge

Dec 22, 2008, 7:18 PM
Post #1 of 18 (7255 views)
Shortcut

where to go for good sport routes in January in California
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We've got a couple months lined up for some climbing this winter in southern california and were wondering where the best places would be to go.

Any thoughts?

shimanilami

Dec 22, 2008, 8:39 PM
Post #2 of 18 (7219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lizhenstridge] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think there's 2 months worth of winter sport climbing in all of SoCal. If you have a car, you could go to Mexico or the desert. That would keep you busy.

nthusiastj

Dec 22, 2008, 8:39 PM
Post #3 of 18 (7219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lizhenstridge] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Portero Chico

jt512

Dec 22, 2008, 8:47 PM
Post #4 of 18 (7212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hard question to answer without knowing what grades you are interested in, but there is actually plenty of sport climbing in SoCal in the winter. Check out New Jack City, Echo Cliffs, and the Riverside Quarry. Red Rocks, in Vegas, is close enough for weekend trips, as well.

Jay

Maddhatter

Dec 22, 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #5 of 18 (7174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

J-tree!!!!
Red rocks.

Jump the border to AZ.

Strong hold
Mt.lemon
Queen creek.

itakealot

Dec 22, 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #6 of 18 (7143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

All of the climbing areas in So Cal are closed for winter. I heard Baja California has some great climbing as well as Las Vegas.

itakealot

Dec 22, 2008, 11:19 PM
Post #7 of 18 (7140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
Hard question to answer without knowing what grades you are interested in, but there is actually plenty of sport climbing in SoCal in the winter. Check out New Jack City, Echo Cliffs, and the Riverside Quarry. Red Rocks, in Vegas, is close enough for weekend trips, as well.

Jay

Please ignore the man behind the curtain.

k.l.k

Dec 23, 2008, 3:05 AM
Post #8 of 18 (7076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
[T]here is actually plenty of sport climbing in SoCal in the winter. Check out New Jack City, Echo Cliffs, and the Riverside Quarry. Red Rocks, in Vegas, is close enough for weekend trips, as well.

You poor fucker.

Warning to the OP: Jack's and Riverside Quarry are two of the gnarliest places you are ever likely to climb. Jacks is The Hills Have Eyes territory, and the Quarry is way worse. No place for Suburu owners.

Go to the gym, go to JTree and do trad, trs, and the handful of really cool clip-ups. Or better yet, boulder. The bouldering is world class.

You can indeed hit Red Rocks on a long weekend, or Owens.

Sin

Dec 23, 2008, 9:37 PM
Post #9 of 18 (7028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha I live about 10 mins away from the quarry, and it's way better to climb there late fall and winter. The quarry is set smack dab in the middle of a resedential area. It hardly rains here, and even if it does, 3-4 days later im back on the wall. You guys are way f'in off. Climbing is closed,lol. The only thing closed is in the mountains. tahquitz, black mountain, the tram, holcomb, and williamsons.
New jack city isn't all that bad either, we've camped up there plenty, and have only come across dirt bikers and boyscouts, no blood thirsty cannibals. You guys are worse than the news, I've got friends from other states that don't want to come to Cali because they think they'll burn to death.
Wait dude, on second thought all those places have a heavy concentration of cholos and thugs on the weekends, being that los angeles is a couple hours away. We would'nt want any overcrowding, now would we.

k.l.k

Dec 24, 2008, 1:09 AM
Post #10 of 18 (6956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Sin] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Indeed, the Quarry and NJC are lovely spots.

I would encourage as many folks as possible to climb at each of those areas as often as possible. I think it would be especially convenient if everyone would leave JTree for the next two weeks and hang out at the Quarry and NJC.

itakealot

Dec 24, 2008, 4:06 AM
Post #11 of 18 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Uh, last I checked NJC, Jtree, Echo, and the rest are all closed for the winter. Don't bother coming to California. Stop in Vegas and climb at Red Rocks.

I assure you we are closed.

scottydo

Dec 24, 2008, 7:27 AM
Post #12 of 18 (6887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [itakealot] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've climbed in NJC in Dec, Jan, Feb...it should be open. Great place to get a bunch of sport routes done with no hike. (and completely free camping)

Also, if you're close to LA you could always swing by Malibu Canyon. Fun sport stuff in there.

Sin

Dec 24, 2008, 7:53 AM
Post #13 of 18 (6878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [itakealot] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No wonder! your from L.A........ That's being hospitable. I hope some one returns the favor!

byran

Dec 24, 2008, 8:38 AM
Post #14 of 18 (6872 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The sport climbing in Jtree can be excellent but difficult to find and scattered throughout the park. If you're just clipping bolts you'll find yourself scrambling up to a formation and only being able to do one route there, then have to hike or drive to another place to do one more route. Plus you'll be further limited to climbing just what's in the sun, due to the chilly weather. So if you're looking to just flake out the rope and knock off 5 routes right next to each other, then New Jack or some of those other places might be better. But if you don't want to feel like you're climbing in an "outdoor gym", jtree definitely has some excellent climbs that just take a bit of exploring to find.

josephgdawson

Dec 24, 2008, 9:01 AM
Post #15 of 18 (6857 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

itakealot wrote:
All of the climbing areas in So Cal are closed for winter. I heard Baja California has some great climbing as well as Las Vegas.

This kind of thinking is just lame. There are only 3500+ routes in JTree. I guess that is not enough for takesitintheassalot, the quoted poster.

There are a few sport routes at JTree, but you are not going to find them right next to each other. Owens River Gorge is your best bet for sport climbing in CA in the winter. Check the weather in Bishop, CA as it can be 70 and sunny or 25 and snowing. There are about a 1000 sport routes in Owens River Gorge. As someone else said, Queens Creek Canyon in Arizona has good sport climbing. Queens Creek is about 60 miles outside of Phoenix. There is another place in AZ called Jack's Canyon that is supposed to have good climbing in the winter. I think that is about an hour and a half outside of Phoenix as well.

Maddhatter

Dec 24, 2008, 7:57 PM
Post #16 of 18 (6814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [josephgdawson] where to go for good sport routes in January in California [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

J-tree rocks you could do no less the 20 great lines right in hidden vally camp ground alone. Want to do a bunch of lines fast and get to know the rock? Hit Indian cove first and warm up for a day or two with maybe 100 lines within 1 mile of your camp. I don't get this "spread out" thing J-tree is covered with great bolted lines.

The mixed and trad is world class also. The trad might not be the best for noobs as there are a lot of flairs and odd placements but that is what makes it so great you will become a better climber after J-tree no matter what you like to climb. Just don't forget to use your feet when things get thin. J-tree is all about smearing. "Smear tactics" go a long way in J-tree.

True if all you want to do is under 5.9 or only 5 star lines you will be walking a bit. If your ok with clipping in the 9's and up J-tree is heaven.

BOULDER BOULDER BOULDER!!!!!!!!!
J-Tree has problems for every level of climber and there all world class.

churningindawake

Dec 24, 2008, 8:23 PM
Post #17 of 18 (6796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red Rocks for sure! Lots of awesome climbs there.

dudemanbu

Dec 25, 2008, 11:57 PM
Post #18 of 18 (6729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

itakealot wrote:
Uh, last I checked NJC, Jtree, Echo, and the rest are all closed for the winter. Don't bother coming to California. Stop in Vegas and climb at Red Rocks.

I assure you we are closed.

He's just trying to keep crowding down. Note the name "I take a lot" He's a very selfish person.

Head to those crags and climb away.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook