RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

Alphaboth

Dec 26, 2008, 5:36 PM
Post #1 of 10 (5390 views)
Shortcut

Highline Safety
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would just like to get some input on safety measure I should be taking when setting up a highline.

wzrdgandalf

Dec 26, 2008, 6:11 PM
Post #2 of 10 (5372 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Alphaboth] Highline Safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to have multiple anchor points that are all bomber first off. Two or three separate slacklines spanning the gap with all taped together. I have seen some people with another tyrolean traverse rope above the slackline to catch the walker. That way less force is put onto the highline when falling. You might want to look into using a steel circle instead of a lockin biner because there is less chance of crossloading when you fall. You will have to put it onto the slackline before you start setting it up though because there are no gates on them. I would say that it is probably a better idea to use a another line above the slackline to tie into. That would be ideal for your first few times of highlining. Also you should probably talk to some experienced highliners before trying it yourself.

Alphaboth

Dec 26, 2008, 7:06 PM
Post #3 of 10 (5360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wzrdgandalf] Highline Safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well i tried it a few times this fall with some extra safety precaussion. I was more interested in what people thought was nessacarey. I doubled up the walking line then rigged a static line above and clipped into both, which i thought was a little overkill. But the idea of a steel ring rather than a biner i like, Thanks.

shaun_the_conqueror

Dec 29, 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #4 of 10 (5309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So basically this is how I rig a highline. I use a threaded line (1" with 9/16" inside) with a climbing rope underneath. A lot of people use 2 threaded lines and a climbing rope. I personally think it's overkill. You can also double threaded 1" with 2 pieces of 9/16", the only problem with this is that the line kind of rounds out and doesn't seem as flat. I have my threaded line anchored independently from the back up. The back up rope is hand tensioned (meaning I literally pull it as tight as I can with my hands and tie it off) to a seperate anchor. I use linelockers indead of knots to attach my line to the anchors. I only use steel carabiners.

Alphaboth

Dec 29, 2008, 4:53 PM
Post #5 of 10 (5273 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe i'm not a proficient highliner yet, but i found it to be quite difficult verus the low line. Must have been all mental, but the static just over head hieght helped me get to the middle of the line and get a feel for the line rather than taking a couple paces and falling. Does anyone see any problem with a static rigged between two trees as your main anchor point? The angle you create is horrible but a solid static should be suffiecient right?

majid_sabet

Dec 29, 2008, 6:38 PM
Post #6 of 10 (5256 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alphaboth wrote:
Maybe i'm not a proficient highliner yet, but i found it to be quite difficult verus the low line. Must have been all mental, but the static just over head hieght helped me get to the middle of the line and get a feel for the line rather than taking a couple paces and falling. Does anyone see any problem with a static rigged between two trees as your main anchor point? The angle you create is horrible but a solid static should be suffiecient right?

When you build a straight line of cord under tension, you are putting the maximum load on the center of the two point and since highline for slacklining application is under massive tensions to begin with, the load on the center of the slackline will multiplies the forces on the anchor points and everything else in between therefore, chances of equipment failures are high unless you use the proper gear with proper rating.

Falling or shock loading on any highline is asking for death wish, with or without using a static line above. If you think you may fall while walking on your slack line then do not use static line above. You should use dynamic line that is not under tension and if your walking distance is farther than let’s say 30 feet of so then, you may want to use two dynamic line above that ARE NOT ANCHORED TO THE SAME ANCHOR AS YOUR SLACK LINE ANCHOR.

Alphaboth

Dec 29, 2008, 6:50 PM
Post #7 of 10 (5251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Highline Safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well the only place I've come across to do it the anchors are bomber 2 foot diameter live pine trees. So i'm not worried about using the same anchor point for the line and the safety line. I gotta up load an image sometime. But i think next time I may use a semi-static rope based on what you said and not put tension on it, or only a litte. The advantage with the safeline above is when you do fall, your creating less of a dynamic force, that was my thinking.

shaun_the_conqueror

Dec 30, 2008, 6:23 PM
Post #8 of 10 (5223 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't like using overheads and I advise against them because you don't really learn how to highline. They act more as a false sense of security. It's all mental. You should just leash up and take some whippers. If you continue to use an overhead, make sure that you're tying into the main line as well as the overhead.

jynckx

Jan 1, 2009, 2:16 AM
Post #9 of 10 (5168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shaun_the_conqueror] Highline Safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1272

everything you need to know to rig a highline like me.

Alphaboth

Jan 10, 2009, 7:59 PM
Post #10 of 10 (5052 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jynckx] Highline Safety [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks man

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook