Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

reno

Jan 16, 2009, 1:41 AM
Post #26 of 46 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SendMasterJack] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

SendMasterJack wrote:
Im almost positive any retail discount applies to immediate family as well, am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.

As an aside: Most things sold at REI can be found for similar prices with some savy web searching, keeping an eye on sales, and being patient. Anyone that pays full retail price for most climbing/camping/backpacking gear is an idiot.

Gmburns2000

Jan 16, 2009, 1:50 AM
Post #27 of 46 (1624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
Your sister is telling the truth.

HEY! I already said that. Get your own quotes! Mad

jakedatc

Jan 16, 2009, 2:19 AM
Post #28 of 46 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
SendMasterJack wrote:
Im almost positive any retail discount applies to immediate family as well, am I wrong?

Yes, you're wrong.

As an aside: Most things sold at REI can be found for similar prices with some savy web searching, keeping an eye on sales, and being patient. Anyone that pays full retail price for most climbing/camping/backpacking gear is an idiot.

I agree. add cycling stuff to that group too.. between coupons, online stores, oulets., steep and cheap, chainlove

She's definitely playing by the rules to the fullest. at EMS gifts were allowed in moderation.. you pretty much understand what you can buy for family/ sig. others and what is a bit much. Everything goes under your employee # (at least at ems) so it's trackable and they know what is going on. I've had talks with managers that are also friends and it's totally not worth getting canned to score a deal for someone.

therat

Jan 16, 2009, 2:30 AM
Post #29 of 46 (1599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SendMasterJack wrote:

I own a retail establishment... and if any of my employess use their discount for anyone else, they are fired immediately.

billcoe_

Jan 16, 2009, 3:46 AM
Post #30 of 46 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Re: [therat] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

therat wrote:
I own a retail establishment... and if any of my employess use their discount for anyone else, they are fired immediately.

Just remind her not to tell her boss....

stevendo

Jan 16, 2009, 4:19 AM
Post #31 of 46 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [therat] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

therat wrote:
SendMasterJack wrote:

i'm just curious- but who's to say that she's not buying something for herself? assuming it's not men's apparel?

jakedatc

Jan 16, 2009, 4:53 AM
Post #32 of 46 (1548 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stevendo] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stevendo wrote:
therat wrote:
SendMasterJack wrote:

i'm just curious- but who's to say that she's not buying something for herself? assuming it's not men's apparel?

You work with these people all the time.. you know them.. they know you. I only worked for 4-5 months and we all knew who was buying what for themselves and for other people.. You don't have some girl who's a kayaker buying cams and ascenders ya know?

i'm sure it is a judgment call by the manager which is why small things and gifts are ok but if you start making a habit of it or abusing the system then they are going to notice

SendMasterJack

Jan 16, 2009, 5:52 AM
Post #33 of 46 (1532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

May i reiterate this is NOT a pro deal, just a general discount.

suilenroc

Jan 16, 2009, 6:13 AM
Post #34 of 46 (1528 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry wrote:
SendMasterJack wrote:
thank you all for your valuable and kind responses.

i don't even pass my pro deals on to my husband.

seriously, your sister is playing by the rules. if we passed on the pro deal to everyone and their relative, i could say good bye to the pro deal.
Great point! Only, the thread has nothing to do with pro deals. He is talking about the "BLA" corporate discount. I say get what you can, while you can, and enjoy! If your sister doesn't want to share her privilege then fine! But, if you can squeeze a feel things from her, even better!

I use to work at a small gear shop. If everyone did this, my business would have gone bankrupt! Actually we did go bankrupt. That's not the point. Hooking up family only improves the chances of future sales. Family get friends to go an buy. Which in the end equals more money for everyone. Pro deal, nah! But a discount, hell yeah! If i were you buddy, i'd work on my sister to get some deals. Hell, i bought my sister a xmas present on store discount. Am i wrong for doing this???? F all of you that think that is wrong!

QSNelson

Jan 16, 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #35 of 46 (1497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am currently working at REI and I'll break down the discounts for those who need it.

An REI employee is allowed to PRODEAL item for himself/herself only. The discount you receive varies greatly on who your prodealing from.

An REI employee may buy items at a discount of 30% off of retail items for family or friends as gift items.

Thats the cut and dry of it. Theres more details when you get into things like returns, reselling items, etc. that I can get into if necessary but judging from the op's question that should answer it.

So to recap yes your sister can buy you items for the 30% discount. She will have to pay for the item herself and no she will not get fired for doing so. No she is not suppose to PRODEAL items for the larger discounts for anyone but herself. Employees do PRODEAL items not for them but I highly suggest that if she does that she makes sure the items she buys are not obviously not for her because she will get caught and fired.

Example: If she prodeals a camping stove for you no one will probly be the wiser.

If she prodeals a mens large jacket, pants, size 13 climbing shoe etc then she will be caught and fired.

REI keeps fairly good tabs on their prodealsl so use at your own risk.

but once again she can get items specifically for you at the 30% discount. If she says other wise she either has no idea of the discount policies or is just bullsh@ting you.

Valarc

Jan 16, 2009, 12:19 PM
Post #36 of 46 (1487 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

edited because it apparently deeply offended someone, even though I thought it was pretty clever and funny. Oh well.

(This post was edited by Valarc on Jan 17, 2009, 12:41 PM)

iron106

Jan 16, 2009, 1:38 PM
Post #37 of 46 (1472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [armsrforclimbing] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

armsrforclimbing wrote:
Seriously though, I used to work at an EMS, similar to REI in the Northeast (i.e. an expensive GAP-esque store that sells a few cams).

Than is not right. EMS is much better now. I do not know how the Buffalo EMS was run ( I am assuming you worked there) but now all the stores are going through changes and EMS is becoming better and better every year. I am not sure what gear you would need that you cant get from EMS. As far as cams my store has 2 kinds of metolius, BD's, Micros a few aliens, Omega, and trango.

wonderwoman

Jan 16, 2009, 2:42 PM
Post #38 of 46 (1462 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I worked at REI and I would not give ANYONE my discount. But it didn't stop EVERYONE from asking me for a discount. When I worked there a co-worker got fired for extending his pro-deal to his wife. That sent a pretty strong message to me.

(This post was edited by wonderwoman on Jan 16, 2009, 2:52 PM)

neotheclimber

Jan 16, 2009, 2:54 PM
Post #39 of 46 (1455 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I applaud you for your integrity, its a chalange to honor the prodeal offered to "you" when every one and your mom wants cheaper gear because you worked hard to earn the prodeal, I deal putting up with friends who wine every time I wear a new pair of shoes by telling them to get a job at REI and stop complaining

Partner macherry

Jan 16, 2009, 3:44 PM
Post #40 of 46 (1435 views)
Shortcut

Re: [suilenroc] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

suilenroc wrote:
macherry wrote:
SendMasterJack wrote:
thank you all for your valuable and kind responses.

i don't even pass my pro deals on to my husband.

seriously, your sister is playing by the rules. if we passed on the pro deal to everyone and their relative, i could say good bye to the pro deal.
Great point! Only, the thread has nothing to do with pro deals. He is talking about the "BLA" corporate discount. I say get what you can, while you can, and enjoy! If your sister doesn't want to share her privilege then fine! But, if you can squeeze a feel things from her, even better!

I use to work at a small gear shop. If everyone did this, my business would have gone bankrupt! Actually we did go bankrupt. That's not the point. Hooking up family only improves the chances of future sales. Family get friends to go an buy. Which in the end equals more money for everyone. Pro deal, nah! But a discount, hell yeah! If i were you buddy, i'd work on my sister to get some deals. Hell, i bought my sister a xmas present on store discount. Am i wrong for doing this???? F all of you that think that is wrong!

okay, lets talk about staff discounts. this is a perk extended to staff.......not their family and friends. I have used a staff discount to buy gifts at xmas, but if buddy asks me to use the staff discount to buy gear, i still say no.

if everyone extends the staff perks to everyone else, management would soon talk away the discount

granite_grrl

Jan 16, 2009, 7:51 PM
Post #41 of 46 (1403 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wonderwoman wrote:
I worked at REI and I would not give ANYONE my discount. But it didn't stop EVERYONE from asking me for a discount. When I worked there a co-worker got fired for extending his pro-deal to his wife. That sent a pretty strong message to me.
I could see not giving anyone else the discount (including siblings), but not to your spouse? My husband and I share money. When he finds a deal on something its also a deal for me 'cause he's spending less of our cash.

But anyway, its not my store, and I don't work there. The rules are the rules. Its lame for the OP to keep asking when he's already been told once.

wonderwoman

Jan 16, 2009, 8:00 PM
Post #42 of 46 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
wonderwoman wrote:
I could see not giving anyone else the discount (including siblings), but not to your spouse?

If I bought him anything, it was a gift. I could do this because REI was my second job and I made more money. I also consider all gear to be MINE! Wink

But it does grow tiresome when people expect that you could get them deals or something and ask all the time. No means No, ya know what I mean?

donald949

Jan 17, 2009, 12:44 AM
Post #43 of 46 (1370 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

SendMasterJack wrote:
May i reiterate this is NOT a pro deal, just a general discount.

My father in law worked at Sears, and his discount was for him only, not family. He knew someone that got fired over socks and pants once.
So it appears as everyone keeps saying, she Can Not give you her Discount, let alone pro deal. But, as they also are saying, she can give you a gift. So if there is one or two things you need she might be able to get it for you at your birthday or Christmas. And Christmas just left town.
But be nice to her and not expect gifts on a regualr basis.

Hennessey

Jan 17, 2009, 6:40 AM
Post #44 of 46 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get over it. Stop bitchin'. If you actually gave a dam then you would stop worrying about saving a few bucks and worry more about how you are trying to jepordize your sister's job.

suilenroc

Jan 17, 2009, 7:46 AM
Post #45 of 46 (1329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] REI discount [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
suilenroc wrote:
I say get what you can, while you can, and enjoy! If your sister doesn't want to share ... then fine! But, if you can squeeze a feel ... from her, even better!

Hooking up [with] family ... hell yeah! If i were you buddy, i'd work on my sister to get some ... Am i wrong for doing this???? F all of you that think that is wrong!

Hey, whatever floats your boat, buddy

go to hell...

Johnny_Fang

Jan 17, 2009, 1:58 PM
Post #46 of 46 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

shoulda been nicer to your sister when you were growing up. those wet willies and blown up barbie dolls were a big mistake.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook