RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - South

Premier Sponsor:

gazhbo

Jan 21, 2009, 9:27 PM
Post #1 of 4 (557 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in and around Houston
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm moving to Houston in two weeks for four months and I'm looking for places to climb at. This site tells me that there's some stuff around Austin but its difficult to work out how far from Houston and what the quality is like. I climb sport and trad (although I'm going to struggle to bring much of a rack) and climb in the 5.12s (trying to break into the 13s.) Also, does anybody have any recommendations for decent climbing walls in Houston. I will be living close to downtown and would be keen to climb in the week and meet others there.

Thanks,
Gaz

Thanks

acorneau

Jan 22, 2009, 6:23 PM
Post #2 of 4 (537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gazhbo] Climbing in and around Houston [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gazhbo wrote:
This site tells me that there's some stuff around Austin but its difficult to work out how far from Houston and what the quality is like.

Austin is about 2.5 to 3 hours away. Areas on the Greenbelt are in town, while Reimer's is a good 45 minutes past (west of) Austin. Both are limestone and sport/top-rope. Enchanted Rock is about 5.5 hours drive, pink granite and about the best trad area we've got.

For more complete info check out http://www.erockonline.com/

In reply to:
Also, does anybody have any recommendations for decent climbing walls in Houston. I will be living close to downtown and would be keen to climb in the week and meet others there.

Texas Rock Gym http://www.texasrockgym.netfirms.com/ is 10-15 minutes west of downtown. Stone Moves has a gym in the Champions area (northwest Houston, 45 minutes? from downtown) and League City (45 minutes south towards Galveston).

I'm at TRG teaching classes Wednesday nights and route-setting Sundays. If you're around then ask around for me and say hi.

gazhbo

Feb 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
Post #3 of 4 (495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acorneau] Climbing in and around Houston [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it possible to get from montrose or down town to the Texas Rock Gym without a car or bike. I'm living in Montrose at the moment and don't have a car and am walking to work.

Can't seem to find any info on bus routes and suspect that the bus doesn't go out that way but maybe it does.

Anybody drive that way during the week?

acorneau

Feb 2, 2009, 4:02 AM
Post #4 of 4 (488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gazhbo] Climbing in and around Houston [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gazhbo wrote:
Is it possible to get from montrose or down town to the Texas Rock Gym without a car or bike. I'm living in Montrose at the moment and don't have a car and am walking to work.

Can't seem to find any info on bus routes and suspect that the bus doesn't go out that way but maybe it does.

It's about 15 miles from Montrose to the gym, so unless you're a serious hiker...

Metro is the bus service. Use the "trip planner" on their website to find the bus schedule:
http://www.ridemetro.org/

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook