Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

austin.timm

Feb 9, 2008, 9:09 PM
Post #1 of 31 (15517 views)
Shortcut

Mountaineering Ski Bindings
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I really need a really lightweight -and affordable- binding setup compatible with my Koflachs mostly for ease of approaching big mountains but also for ski descent on occasion(even if it's not a graceful descent). I do not like snowshoes. I am not opposed to bear trap style bindings in the least bit. I have looked at silvretta binding(which are sweet, but I'm a poor college kid. Any ideas? Is it possible to find a pair of those Globetrotter bindings not already mounted on the Kong skis... since I already have skis ready to mount up? Any other ideas? How about the 'Ultralight Ski Binding' by Stubai? They look really floppy to me.

Thanks to all who help!!

irregularpanda

Feb 9, 2008, 9:49 PM
Post #2 of 31 (15511 views)
Shortcut

Re: [austin.timm] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lets see, a cheap AT setup, that attaches to mountaineering boots. Wish I knew where to find that too! Dig deep man, some old dude might sell it. I heard about a setup that you could stick mountaineering boots into, and judging by my conversations with ski patrol, the descent will be horrifically graceless.

You might be better off getting a setup that is more versatile, my suggestion: freeride bindings with a solid pair of boots that can double as mountaineering boots. The reason why: the bindings will last a really long time, as will the boots, and you can ski harder on them. But it sounds like you want to do the opposite, a super lightweight (read almost flimsy) setup that can manage (barely) with mountaineering boots.

I'm no expert in the area, it's just that I was gonna do the same thing a couple years ago, and decided to get a tele setup instead, and ended up skiing more and mountaineering less.

climb_eng

Feb 9, 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #3 of 31 (15504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

austin.timm wrote:
I really need a really lightweight -and affordable- binding setup compatible with my Koflachs mostly for ease of approaching big mountains but also for ski descent on occasion(even if it's not a graceful descent). I do not like snowshoes. I am not opposed to bear trap style bindings in the least bit. I have looked at silvretta binding(which are sweet, but I'm a poor college kid. Any ideas? Is it possible to find a pair of those Globetrotter bindings not already mounted on the Kong skis... since I already have skis ready to mount up? Any other ideas? How about the 'Ultralight Ski Binding' by Stubai? They look really floppy to me.

Thanks to all who help!!

What you're looking for is a 10-20 year old pair of silveretta bindings. They are fully releasable, up to DIN 10, and take mountaineering boots.

Just search EBAY for Silveretta.... seek and you shall find.

guanoboy

Feb 9, 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #4 of 31 (15503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, the old silvretta 404's will work and can usually be found for $50 or less (ebay).

midwestpaul

Feb 9, 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #5 of 31 (15484 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was in exactly the same boat until about a week ago. I shopped victorious and my new (very used) pair of silvretta 404s are in the mail. I paid around 100. Just check ebay religiously and it will pay off.

irregularpanda

Feb 10, 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #6 of 31 (15475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guanoboy] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[ yeah, the old silvretta 404's will work and can usually be found for $50 or less (ebay).]

I'm curious, though. Have you skied with them in plastics? What was it like? For the love of god, man, what happened to your ankles?

guanoboy

Feb 10, 2008, 12:57 AM
Post #7 of 31 (15467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I ended up buying a newer pair of the silveretta's but i've skied plenty of technical stuff in them w/ no problems. Certainly no ankle problems. I just wish I could set them up for tele b/c i'm much more comfortable skiing tele than downhill.
A friend of mine bought the 404's and had no problems w/ the bindings.

.sam.

Feb 19, 2008, 6:33 AM
Post #8 of 31 (15358 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

silvereta 404s work relitivly well though ive used them quite abit and the relies mechagnism can stop working right and cause you to come out for no reson, even just skiing up roads its a pain to get back in and impossable with gloves on. antother downside is i typicaly see these costing more like 100. a better option is the fritschi ft88 you have to get out to switch between tour and ski but it is more reliable and skis much better lately on ebay a gal has been selling a bunch for $25 buy it now. the ramer universals are great too but harder to find

theirishman

Feb 28, 2008, 6:28 PM
Post #9 of 31 (15210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [.sam.] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just learn to telemark, buy a pair of garmont synergy boots which are super light weight, and get a pair of Black Diamond 01 bindings! problem solved!

Partner brent_e

Mar 2, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #10 of 31 (15130 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theirishman] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

silvretta 500's. looks like you could use them with mountaineering boots.
a bit expensive, though.

(This post was edited by brent_e on Mar 2, 2008, 12:00 AM)

scuclimber

Mar 2, 2008, 1:24 AM
Post #11 of 31 (15116 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theirishman] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

theirishman wrote:
just learn to telemark, buy a pair of garmont synergy boots which are super light weight, and get a pair of Black Diamond 01 bindings! problem solved!

I hope you're trolling. Syner-Gs aren't light, neither are O1s (I used to ski Syner-Gs, and currently own two pairs of O1s). And front-pointing in tele boots is... fun.

jhattan

Mar 2, 2008, 5:25 AM
Post #12 of 31 (15098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've written off AT as a solution to the approach problem. I have a pair of lightweight AT skis mounted with Freerides that accept both my Scarpa Alphas and Vasque M-Finity boots. The problem I encounter is that when I skin moderate approaches (5 miles) over rolling to low angle terrain, the non-flexing sole of my climbing boots causes heel lift and foot pain that destroys my feet by the time I reach the climb. Granted I haven't tried AT bindings that boast an ergo pivot point (ie: Silvretta 500), but I just cant imagine a boot without flex being comfortable in a skin or kick and guide scenario.

The setup I'm now working towards is a Karhu XCD GT w/ 3 pin cable bindings and Garmont Excursion boots (for approaches that require steeper climbs/descents) or Alpina BC 1575s (for approaches over rolling terrain). In my pack I'll carry my Vasque M-Finity boots.

(This post was edited by jhattan on Mar 2, 2008, 5:27 AM)

scuclimber

Mar 3, 2008, 8:35 AM
Post #13 of 31 (15048 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jhattan] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jhattan wrote:
The setup I'm now working towards is a Karhu XCD GT w/ 3 pin cable bindings and Garmont Excursion boots (for approaches that require steeper climbs/descents) or Alpina BC 1575s (for approaches over rolling terrain). In my pack I'll carry my Vasque M-Finity boots.

That's light. :-) Switchbacks might be an option too, if you can get your hands on some. Voile's website doesn't list the weight of the 3Pin Cables. Switchbacks are listed at 3 lbs./pair. Or these: http://www.twentytwodesigns.com/litedogs/index.php

jhattan

Mar 3, 2008, 1:39 PM
Post #14 of 31 (15024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scuclimber] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The 3 pin cables are somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 oz (and you can detach the cables when you don't need 'em), about the same as a pair of Lite Dogs (which look really cool!). For simplicity sake, 3 pin cables fit my bill.

Partner brent_e

Mar 3, 2008, 3:58 PM
Post #15 of 31 (15016 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jhattan] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jhattan wrote:
The 3 pin cables are somewhere in the neighborhood of 28 oz (and you can detach the cables when you don't need 'em), about the same as a pair of Lite Dogs (which look really cool!). For simplicity sake, 3 pin cables fit my bill.

pun???

(This post was edited by brent_e on Mar 3, 2008, 4:05 PM)

scuclimber

Mar 3, 2008, 5:14 PM
Post #16 of 31 (15000 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brent_e wrote:
jhattan wrote:

pun???

Niiice. Wink

coldfinger

Mar 12, 2008, 7:38 PM
Post #17 of 31 (14896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used a pair of the Stubai bindings and they are floppy and definitely NOT for turning on the descent but that being said they are an excellent binding for kick and glide on moderate or especially flat terrain. You also can't beat the weight and the fact that they are easily adjustible and will fit just about ANY footwear.

I finally learned to ski downhill this year though, so I've just got the Silvretta 500. Definitely spendy but worth the $$ with the snow we got here.

You want my old Stubai bindings? I'll sell them cheap!Laugh

crzdriver

Mar 9, 2009, 4:04 AM
Post #18 of 31 (14444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldfinger] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I decided to go skis for approach as well after having my butt handed to me by some friends I was with. I thought I would do it cheap, too, and use my leather boots in them. Don´t do it!!! Everything is fine and comfy on the way up, but it is next to impossible to downhill without a plastic boot. My crampons fit my plastic boots, so I just climb in them. I started on a pair of Silvretta´s on some old Rosi skis, and a pair of old two-strap plastic boots I picked up in Silverthorne for $20. Got lots of looks, but the setup worked great, and I have run the resorts in them as well. I have an extra set of those FT88´s also if you are interested, but I think they are still available on e-bay.

juho.risku

Mar 10, 2009, 8:08 AM
Post #19 of 31 (14368 views)
Shortcut

Mountaineering Ski Bindings (and skis) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In case there wouldn't be financial limitations, what would be the best ski touring setup for use both mountaineering approaches as well as ski touring? (Presumably separate boots for climbing and ski-ing anyways?)

skiclimb

Mar 10, 2009, 3:46 PM
Post #20 of 31 (14337 views)
Shortcut

Re: [juho.risku] Mountaineering Ski Bindings (and skis) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A lot would depend on what best means. Lightest? Most reliable? Most Versatile?

If you want versatility there isnt anything better than the silvretta 500. It works with alpine boots and most mountaineering boots.

If you want a wieght saver the dynafit system might work but you would have to use an AT boot from one of 3 companies for your mountaineering. (can be fine actually) It is possible to modify some true mountaineering boots to fit the dynafit binding but that requires spare peices from a disected dynafit compatible boot as dynafit does not sell the parts you need for this.

Then there a few heavier AT bindings than can work on some mountaineering boots on a case by case basis or with some minor boot modification. They are meant more for expert-level skiing and have more reliable safer release systems when using din compatible boots.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Mar 10, 2009, 3:52 PM)

mattq331

Mar 10, 2009, 4:31 PM
Post #21 of 31 (14313 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Or for the really retro approach, you could go for the Ramer Classic bindings. Simple and largely efficient, it does have the advantage of being almost bullet proof and simple to fix in the field. They won't make you a downhill or freeheel god, but you might survive.

You can also bask in the satisfaction of having people make witty observations about museum pieces etc while you're out and about. (Works for me - but then just about everything I own has more than 20 years on the odometer).

There's an unused set on EBay right now - $55.

tallnik

Mar 10, 2009, 6:08 PM
Post #22 of 31 (14290 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattq331] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found that with a leather boot in an AT binding the fit of the boot is actually more important than when just climbing.

Last season in the rockies I skinned into lots of ice climbs, and once I'd broken my boots (and my feet) into the skiing - I had no problems. But this year - I had grief trying to ski 22miles in them without skiing anything else. My feet were out of condition although my boots were already broken in.

I don't believe the sole of the boot has anything to do with it - since AT boots are rigid. Rather it comes down to fit.

FYI I ski with a pair of FT88s - they're heavy, but they work great. I can survival ski in my Tecnica Ice boots. talking moderate runs here. However, I much prefer to use that set up rather than x-country skis.

Nik

sauce

Mar 10, 2009, 6:18 PM
Post #23 of 31 (14288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a pair of Silveretta 404s in excellent shape that I would part with, if you or anyone else is interested.

skiclimb

Mar 10, 2009, 10:05 PM
Post #24 of 31 (14256 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattq331] Mountaineering Ski Bindings [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mattq331 wrote:
Or for the really retro approach, you could go for the Ramer Classic bindings. Simple and largely efficient, it does have the advantage of being almost bullet proof and simple to fix in the field. They won't make you a downhill or freeheel god, but you might survive.

You can also bask in the satisfaction of having people make witty observations about museum pieces etc while you're out and about. (Works for me - but then just about everything I own has more than 20 years on the odometer).

There's an unused set on EBay right now - $55.

Yep still one of the greatest bindings ever made for many reasons.

kobaz

Mar 10, 2009, 11:00 PM
Post #25 of 31 (14241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I highly recommend the silvretta 500. I've got them mounted on some short light skiis.

I've done trips of 5+ miles kick and glide with my lightweight Kayland boots with no problem. I've skinned 10+ miles with the same boots, no problem.

I have a pair of fritschi's that need some mounting, but from what I've read/heard they seem like an awesome backcountry binding.

I've used three and four buckle AT boots and did black diamonds with them. The release is pretty good, but not the best. And it's a heel-only release, so I wouldn't recommend doing anything that you're gonna be falling on anyway.

They are an all-around really solid versatile binding.

Edited to fix some typeo's

(This post was edited by kobaz on Mar 10, 2009, 11:02 PM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook